i30 Owners Club

Cant go 60km/h in 5th Gear! (5 Speed)

Nathan · 36 · 17035

Offline Nathan

• 1st Gear

• au Australia

• i30 SLX CRDI 1.6L 5 Speed Manual
Hi guys
I donno if its a i30 thing or just my car but if i try to go 60km/h in 5th gear the car will shake. The revs are well above idle so its not stalling. Its a CRDI 1.6.
I had a talk to one of the guys at Hyundai and he said you need to be going at lest 80km/h (about 2000rpm) before you go into 5th.
Do you have any idea whats going on? I'm just trying to save fuel  :lol: 
Thanks
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 02:18:37 by Nathan »

Offline Reaper

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
I'd do 4th at 60km/h, and 5th at about 70km/h in our 6speed. The onboard computer in ours suggests 4th at just above 50km/h and 5th around 70-75km/h, 6th I think it says 85-90km/h.

Offline Reaper

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
Though I don't use computer that precisely, must admit if just cruising at 80km/h depending on the roadl, I often use 6th gear at around 1500 rpm.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
My car was much better at tolerating low revs after the 1000km service. Now handles pretty much as reaper suggests.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Nathan.. Welcome  :goodjob:

That is a bit disconcerting isn't it ... :lol:

But as the others say it does improve in time (but still probably best not to go quite that low in 5th)

Labouring is as bad for economy as over-revving  :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
My 1.6 Crdi with 2200 km on the clock sits happily in 5th on 60 km, just ticking over at 1500 rpm. As long as the road is flat that is. For a bit of uphill it needs to be knocked back in 4th, otherwise it even accelerates OK in 5th at those speeds, say when the speed limit goes from 60 to 70.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline TrishCW

• 5th Gear
  • SWMBO at Dazzler's House

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• My little "GEM"
Hi and welcome
I would not put my car into 5th gear if I was only doing 60ks. that to me putting stress on the engine.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I can only go into 5th once I've hit 40 mph (65kph).

It is to do with the gear ratio.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Nathan

• 1st Gear

• au Australia

I have done just under 40000km and it has been doing it from the start. It has no reason to shake going at that speed (its well above idle).
I know a little bit about front wheel drive cars. The only thing i can think of is, if it has a lose drive chain (if it even has one).
What do you think?
Thanks 

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi and welcome
I would not put my car into 5th gear if I was only doing 60ks. that to me putting stress on the engine.

Hi Trish, thats very true with a Petrol as they have an ignition it's hard on the Rings & bearings lugging a petrol motor at low rev's.
But Diesels can pull low rev's does not hurt them as long as they seem happy. mine pulls 5th gear ( 6 speed gear box ) on a flat easy  no fuss it's happy to pull.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi Nathan & welcome, i think the only drive chain is the over head cam, drive chain, this just goes from the crank to the two cams in the heads. but that would make handly any difference and this just effects cam timming but minimally, like a fraction of advanced cam timming or retarded cam timming. if a cam timming is advanced a few degree it gives slightly more low rev responce. but doubt this is causeing what your experiencing. my 6 speed CRDi seems happy @ 60kph in 5th on a flat, but i normally shift to 5th @ about 65kph shift to 6th at about 75kph. but if motor does not feel happy i just shift back a gear. this does not hurt economy, it's how hard you have your foot on the throtle that effects fuel useage more. i think if you drove a 5 speed i30 CRDi you might get a shock at how they run @ 60kph compared to how the 6speed run's @ 60KPH. i think part of the cause is the fact the car is tunned to cut immissions. but they have done a very good job in my oppionion.
Regards

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I have done just under 40000km and it has been doing it from the start. It has no reason to shake going at that speed (its well above idle).
I know a little bit about front wheel drive cars. The only thing i can think of is, if it has a lose drive chain (if it even has one).
What do you think?
Thanks

I think what people are saying is that it's right at the limit of where their cars feel comfortable, so I wouldn't worry. I think it's normal.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

What do you think?
Thanks

I think what people are saying is that it's right at the limit of where their cars feel comfortable, so I wouldn't worry. I think it's normal.

I am surprised yours still does it after 40,000 (I am pretty sure ours improved fairly early on - it was traded 12 months ago  :-[) but still not a problem as others have said...

Offline Nathan

• 1st Gear

• au Australia

Hi Nathan & welcome, i think the only drive chain is the over head cam, drive chain, this just goes from the crank to the two cams in the heads. but that would make handly any difference and this just effects cam timming but minimally, like a fraction of advanced cam timming or retarded cam timming. if a cam timming is advanced a few degree it gives slightly more low rev responce. but doubt this is causeing what your experiencing. my 6 speed CRDi seems happy @ 60kph in 5th on a flat, but i normally shift to 5th @ about 65kph shift to 6th at about 75kph. but if motor does not feel happy i just shift back a gear. this does not hurt economy, it's how hard you have your foot on the throtle that effects fuel useage more. i think if you drove a 5 speed i30 CRDi you might get a shock at how they run @ 60kph compared to how the 6speed run's @ 60KPH. i think part of the cause is the fact the car is tunned to cut immissions. but they have done a very good job in my oppionion.
Regards
Yer i know all about timing chains :) When i got my i30 they only sold the CRDI 1.6 5 speed,  i didnt know you could get a 6 speed.
Anyway ive got another service on this coming wensday so i will ask again  :P
Almost just wanna drive another i30 to see if it does the same.
Thanks

Offline Nathan

• 1st Gear

• au Australia

What do you think?
Thanks

Thank you
Its just silly that i can drive in 4th gear at  idle revs (800-900rpm) and it loves it but cant go below 1500rpm in 5th.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
At 60 km/h I'm in 4th in my Crdi manual.
Needs to be at least 70, and preferably 80, before it's really happy.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

• i30cw 1.6 CRDi Style 90 HP
Assuming that I'm driving on a straight road without hills, I can drive in third at ~1000rpm (engine's governor keeps this rpm). In 4th, it starts to complain below 1300 rpm, in 5th also. So, 5th gear from around 60kph+ and 6th gear from 75-80kph+.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
At 60 km/h I'm in 4th in my Crdi manual.
Needs to be at least 70, and preferably 80, before it's really happy.

:whsaid:

Offline Ace Demon

• 2nd Gear
I donno if its a i30 thing or just my car but if i try to go 60km/h in 5th gear the car will shake. The revs are well above idle so its not stalling. Its a CRDI 1.6.
Unlike a lot of diesel cars it does not have a dual mass flywheel so it just needs a few more revs to avoid vibration. The minimal extra fuel to stay in 4th is a lot cheaper than the cost of replacing these notoriously unreliable devices. I don't use 5th below 70k and only use a very light touch until it's exceeded 80k.

Offline Seoul-mate

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, Queensland
Unlike a lot of diesel cars it does not have a dual mass flywheel so it just needs a few more revs to avoid vibration. The minimal extra fuel to stay in 4th is a lot cheaper than the cost of replacing these notoriously unreliable devices. I don't use 5th below 70k and only use a very light touch until it's exceeded 80k.

My 08 i30 has done this from day one and after almost 100 000km would still do it
except that I drive as Ace Demon does.
I accept it as a part of driving a diesel and it now seems normal to me.
Russ
  • i30 1.6 Diesel (03/08- 09/12), MB B200 (09/12 -->)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

My 08 i30 has done this from day one and after almost 100 000km would still do it
except that I drive as Ace Demon does.
I accept it as a part of driving a diesel and it now seems normal to me.
Russ

Another one approaching 100,000 kms  :) :) :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Regards
Yer i know all about timing chains :) When i got my i30 they only sold the CRDI 1.6 5 speed,  i didnt know you could get a 6 speed.
Anyway ive got another service on this coming wensday so i will ask again  :P
Almost just wanna drive another i30 to see if it does the same.
Thanks

Well Nathan, i did 97,000k with a CRDi 5speed & lowest it would go was 70KPH happy . i have done 5,500k on my new CRDi 6 speed the 5 speed had what the factory call u motor, the 6 speed has the u2 motor, few changes but main change is exhast manifold different & the common rail runs under higher pressure with higher pressure injectors. no difference in power but it has more Torque ( not much more) & Torque starts at a lower rev so motor pulls smooth in all gears no jerky spots at low rev in some gears like my 5 speed u motor . the 6 speed has a lower ratio 5th gear & taller ratio 6th gear the first 4 gears are the same. i checked my 6speed from 60kph in 5th gear & it is happy and will go up a hill at that speed in 5th also will excellerate from 60kph in 5th up a hill 6th gear likes to be 70kph & up like your 5th gear. i was able to drive at 55kph in 5th with motor happy with the 6 speed box. i think your confusing some of the new 6 speed owners, so point out in your post it's a 5 speed gear box.

Offline Nathan

• 1st Gear

• au Australia

Pip
4th gear it is.
Thanks a lot guys :)
Somewhere on here I remember complaining/agreeing that this was an unwanted feature. Still shits me.

It's how it is...

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
just a side note, i know it's off toppic, but yesturday a saw a friend at work who has a very high k common rail turbo diesel 4 cyl, he just told me he now has 545,000k still going well never touched it never had the injectors touched, no plan's for selling it.

also back to the i30 CRDi Hyundai seem to have geared the 1.6 low but seems perfect to me. if you think it's bad needing more rev's for the five speed b4 it pulls smooth in 5th, you should test drive a Ford Fiesta ECOnetic, i drove one about two years back when they first came out & had economy #'s 3.7l/100k. i noticed straight away it had much taller gearing and less Torque than the i30 1.6 CRDi, had to shift gear a lot.

Back to the i30 difference between 5 speed U motor & 6 speed U2 motor, i have 5,700k up now on the 6 speed U2 & its very nice never surges at low rev in any gear, seems to have a broader torque, the 5th gear is nice as closer to 4th not the big jump 4th to 5th like the 5 speed, but only noticed that after driving the two back to back on same day when i owned both. but i love them both. think i'll have this 6 speed for a long long time.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

5700 already John...  :Shocked: (Loving all the great feedback on the new 6 speed)  :mrgreen:

Offline ausi30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
I feel left out. My auto box doesn't seem to have these problems :D

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

5700 already John...  :Shocked: (Loving all the great feedback on the new 6 speed)  :mrgreen:

Me too & very jealous   :mrgreen:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi

I got my 2. hand i30 2008 1,6 cdi 115 bhp 5 speed in april this year. I had the same problem with shaking car below 1500 revs in 5th gear. At my local HY dealer they recieved an update for the ecu just before summer. The update don´t remove the problem, but it allows you to drive in 5th gear from 1300 revs without that shaky feeling  :P

My car have now done 144.000 kms, 18.000 of them driven by me without any problems.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I had the same problem with shaking car below 1500 revs in 5th gear. At my local HY dealer they recieved an update for the ecu just before summer. The update don´t remove the problem, but it allows you to drive in 5th gear from 1300 revs without that shaky feeling  :P

That is interesting.. hadn't heard of that ECU update before. You say it doesn't fix the problem but it allows you to drive at 1300 RPM ..so I guess what you are saying is it does shake under 1300 instead of under 1500 now?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal