i30 Owners Club

Brake issues

Offline skalra63

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Northampton
My brakes seem to be making noises when braking - usually for the first 3 or 4 brakes of the journey.

I have been told that this is likely due to oxidisation on the brake disks - which is fine...but should this be the case when left for 8 ish hours unused?

I think it may be related, but over the christmas/new year period, my car was unused for a week. The brakes were stuck and it was a chore to reverse out with heavy acceleration in order to unstick them

Is this normal?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I just got back from picking my lass up (2 miles away) and I had to engage reverse to get out of my driveway. Normally I let it roll backwards as it's on an incline but my brakes were bound tightly, and I only used it for a shopping trip 7 hours ago :eek:

So, I'd say it was normal, and yes mine also makes scraping noises for a short while
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi

If you left it for a week, it would be normal, depending on the weather, can't see where you're located.

This thread is about the same issue:

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=12800.0

You might be able to brake it away, by using your brakes hard, to make sure you brake away the rust on the brakediscs.

If you allways brake with a light foot, the rear brakes will not be activated. Under normal conditions the brakeforce is approx 70/30 front/rear or even 80/20. If you have more weight in the rear, there will be more brakepower to the rear.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline skalra63

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Northampton

Offline noels_hobby

• 2nd Gear
have had similar issues with the old car i had brakes would lock on rust on disks ect the composite material in modern brake linings can bond to the disks when wet, i am not sure why it happens but it can tear bits of the brake lining and leave them attached to the disk. it can also lock the handbrake on. so don't hose the dust out of your brakes or soak them when washing the car !  :blubber: it can be expensive to fix

cheers noel

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal