This is useful   
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Excellent.. I wondered what Kryten from Red Dwarf did when that TV show finished  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Excellent.. I wondered what Kryten from Red Dwarf did when that TV show finished  :whistler:
Jeez :eek: I couldn't listen to more than 1 minute of that  :disapp:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Jeez :eek: I couldn't listen to more than 1 minute of that  :disapp:

Useful content badly presented but all the info & advice is in there for the poor turbo boys  :wacko:

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

• i30cw 1.6 CRDi Style 90 HP
Newertheless, it is not a good idea to shut the engine off while the turbo and manifold are still red hot

The Hyundai technical support in Slovenia said the exact opposite... According to them, we (Hyundai diesels' drivers) should wait only the rotational speed of the turbo to fall to 'idle' ... and they give 5 years warranty...

Offline yggy

• 2nd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Zemun
You'd better wait a minute before turning the engine off.

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

And what to do if the temperature of the exhaust won't fall under 600 °C for 10 more minutes?

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

And what to do if the temperature of the exhaust won't fall under 600 °C for 10 more minutes?

The best advice is to get into the habit of driving "off boost" for the last 5 - 10 mins of any trip where boost has been used, this will give the extremely high revving turbo time to spool down with constant oil supply, so that when wsitching off the remaining oil in the turbo bearings will be sufficiently lubricated & wont get burned off by the turbo high temperatures as these will have had time to cool down.

Offline Kamele0N

• 2nd Gear

• si Slovenia
the oil was change every 20.000km i dont no what the oil was it was change at a main dealer all the time i think it was shell oil

That's a long time between oil changes.... :eek:

+1  :goodjob:   On our i30 crdi (korean 2008) turbine was killed after 30kkm.....

But at HY service they putted in 10w40 semi synthetic oil.......which is not intended for prolonged intervals  :fum:

Now ( with second turbine changed under warranty) i do my own oil changes @15kkm with synthetic 5w40 oil ( sythetic is better for longer intervals....plus better for turbine life -can withstand higher temperatures )

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

The best advice is to get into the habit of driving "off boost" for the last 5 - 10 mins of any trip where boost has been used, this will give the extremely high revving turbo time to spool down with constant oil supply, so that when wsitching off the remaining oil in the turbo bearings will be sufficiently lubricated & wont get burned off by the turbo high temperatures as these will have had time to cool down.

The reason I wrote the question above is the DPF regeneration. I am repeating myself over and over regarding this DPF regeneration, but it really pisses me off sometimes. It happened at least 5 times that ECU started the regeneration a few minutes away from home... instead of normal exhaust temperature of ~200°C, it stays at over 600°C. And all the heat is going through turbo...

Offline tgolisz

• 1st Gear

• pl Poland
      Swarzędz
I've done 37000+ now in 14 months and purring like a kitten (my car runs well too) :wink:
40000 km in 7 months and zero problems with the turbo

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Welcome tgolisz, Glad to hear of your car's good reliability, many happy k's to come  :mrgreen: :D
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome tgolisz, Glad to hear of your car's good reliability, many happy k's to come  :mrgreen: :D

:whsaid:

i30 Turbo problems are very rare on this site  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Reaper

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark

The reason I wrote the question above is the DPF regeneration. I am repeating myself over and over regarding this DPF regeneration, but it really pisses me off sometimes. It happened at least 5 times that ECU started the regeneration a few minutes away from home... instead of normal exhaust temperature of ~200°C, it stays at over 600°C. And all the heat is going through turbo...

Happened here a couple of times. From what I've noticed if it's regnerating and during the cycle turn off the engine, it'll continue shortly after on the next run. I'm not sure how it really works and not a mechanic, just what I've noticed. I've wondered if it's a good idea to turn off the engine, if you know the regeneration is on. After reading here I'm a bit worried actually.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Probably not a good idea to interupt the re-gen cycle... but isnt it a pain... how disruptive to a vehicle owner to have to do this malarky just so manufacturers can hit the exhaust cleanliness targets imposed. SO glad I dont run diesel any more...

Offline yggy

• 2nd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Zemun

Xamaxy
Turbo can't be regenerated.

They talk about DPF regeneration.
I would do my best to continue to drive when regen starts because if dpf fails its OMFG price!

Offline yggy

• 2nd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Zemun
i30 doesn't have DPF filter. Turbo has to be cooled before turning engine off. That's all. Just keep your engine running for 30 sec before turning it off.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
i30 doesn't have DPF filter.

Maybe not in Serbia, but they do in many other Countries.... :winker:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

i30 doesn't have DPF filter. Turbo has to be cooled before turning engine off. That's all. Just keep your engine running for 30 sec before turning it off.

yggy makes a good point though to be fair it is a turbo Topic. There was some very heated debates in the Fiat forum I was a member of, around the law & turbo timers... (leaving the car empty when the turbo timer kept the engine running at idle).

Different spec in different countries is confusing around which cars have what.

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire
I've always thought a minute to warm up when you start up and another minute ticking over before switching off does a lot of good for the turbo long term.   
  • Comfort CRDI (115), Suzuki Ignis Sport, Rover Mini 30

Offline yggy

• 2nd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Zemun
OK, lets demystify ...

Turbo needs to be cooled because it revs at xyz000 rpm and the axle of tht rotor is cooled only by oil. If you turn off engine while the axle is too hot, oil on it will evaporate and that will  lead to making dirt deposits on the axle. It time it becomes disbalanced, bearing that holds everything together will be demolished (literally) and turbo will die.

I don't have time time to practice my English, hope you understand me :)

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

Fact #1: Euro-V conforming diesel i30 has DPF
Fact #2: DPF regeneration raises exhaust temperature to about 700 degrees C (majority of that heat is going through the turbo)
Fact #3: There is no visual indication on DPF regeneration (except for higher instantaneous fuel consumption)
Fact #4: Hyundai gives 5 years warranty  :whistler:
Fact #5: Hyundai tech support assured me that there is no need to wait for DPF to complete before turning the engine off  :whistler:

:twisted:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal