i30 Owners Club

Almost had an accident

meehalych · 88 · 20552

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
From 04:18 Nissan is taking two lanes, then shifts to the left, once I get closer it begins shifting gradually to me without any light signs, some seconds more and there might have been a collision.
    :twisted:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Viewing the incident, -- close call but aren't you undertaking in lane 1?

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

eye30
Hi.
Could you say it in another way please, cause I can't get the whole sense of the phrase (I know undertake is to commit oneself to and begin (an enterprise or responsibility)) Sorry.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I think eye is saying what I wanted too....  That from our outsider view it appeared that you weren't altogether obeying the rules of the road....   Although, I s'pose like me he doesn't know the rules of the road where you live.   So please don't take offence...    :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
So many trucks towards the end of the video  :confused: But the road is better than a lot of the russian roads I have seen lately... That Nissan was a bit tardy (didn't know which lane he wanted to be in)  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
eye30
Hi.
Could you say it in another way please, cause I can't get the whole sense of the phrase (I know undertake is to commit oneself to and begin (an enterprise or responsibility)) Sorry.

Undertake in this sense means to overtake on the wrong side, which in the UK is illegal (allegedly, we see plenty of people getting away with it!!)
Following our rules when you are in the lane closest to the middle of the road (lane 4 in your vid) you are allowed to overtake anything.  If however you go into lane 3, you can only overtake those in lanes 1 and 2, if you overtake anything in lane 4, you commit an offence and so on.  What eye30 sees is you undertaking the Nissan as he squeezes you :question: :question:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

bumpkin
now I got the point, thank you  :D
Well, that was not me speeding up to outrun Nissan (I didn't exceed the speed limit, which was 90km/h) , that was Nissan which slowed down (may be the driver was scared to see the bend of the road ahead, who knows?) and started shifting to my lane.

BTW here is a question:
If some one driving his car in lane 4 on 4-lane-highway with a speed less then it is allowed (as example 70km/h with allowed 110km/h) and refuses to take any other lanes, what would you do (it is a typical situation in Russia, actually)? Would you be driving with the same speed in your lane 3,2 or 1 or you would drive your car with a speed that is allowed on this road?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 22:33:28 by meehalych »

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

BTW here is a question:
If some one driving his car in lane 4 on 4-lane-highway with a speed less then it is allowed (as example 70km/h with allowed 110km/h) and refuses to take any other lanes, what would you do (it is a typical situation in Russia, actually)? Would you be driving with the same speed in your lane 3,2 or 1 or you would drive your car with a speed that is allowed on this road?

In the situation you give here, in the UK you should not "undertake"/(overtake) vehicle in lane 4  if you are in lanes 1,2 or 3 unless instructed by the Police, highway signage or the traffic is stopped in lane 4.

You should move into lane 4 behind the slower driver and hope they see sense and move into lanes 3, 2 or 1.

When moving behind you should not "tailgate" the vehicle but keep a safe distance otherwise you can be ticketed for aggresive/careless driving.

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

eye30
hope they see sense and move into lanes 3, 2 or 1.
What if this won't happen?  I know the way how to create a traffic jam in England - one needs to take the left lane and keep on driving with the slowest speed  :winker:

Meanwhile it is not true in Russia, if any car, driving in lane 1, outruns the other cars in lane 2 (for example) on two lane road, without changing the lane, it is called outstripping and it is not a subject of penalty, meanwhile there is another option: if one is driving the car in lane 2 and than takes lane 1 to outrun a car ahead and afterwards returns back to lane 2 - this is the breach of rule.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
 meehalych

It matters not a dot what the rules, are as they differ all over the world.  What really matters is that EVERYONE obeys the rules.  As a general rule people whom are otherwise quite law abiding citisens in every other respect have a tendency to disregard the rules of the road, or pick and choose which ones the feel are important.  IN other words become total prats the minute they hear the engine roar into life.

For myself I would be happy if there were automatic cameras on every street corner, then I would be happy to obey the law knowing that everyone else is having too as well, in the meantime, move over big boy cos I is comming thru  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
It's illegal to "undertake" over here to. Although, the max number of lanes, we have in Slovenia are 3, so it's hard to compare.

If one is driving too slow in lane no 1, you overtake him on lane 2, and if there is someone faster then you on lane 2, he overtakes on the lane 3. We also have so called "patients", that drive let's say 110 km/h, where the speed limit is 130 km/h in the lane number 3, but you have to drive behind him and wait till he moves to the right. A lot of times, they just don't want to move to lane no 2, even though there are cars behind him. I have also "undertaken" people driving in the lane 3, but 2 or 3 times, they also turned right into me. Had to go to the right quickly to avoid the collision. Usually they didn't even know I was there - they were talking on the phone or smth like that. But I did it after driving behind them for quite some time.

I guess it's different in Russia, especially when you have soooooo many trucks on the road  :Shocked:

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

Can there is no "Outstripping" term in your road's rules?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

What really matters is that EVERYONE obeys the rules. 

I couldn't have put it better.

But we know that will not happen.......

I'm just as guilty as the next person and put my hand on my heart and say I obey the rules 100%.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Used to see signs on the back of some trucks with the driver's side reading "Overtaking Side" and the passengers side reading "Undertaker's Side" and they didn't mean the opposite of overtaking.

They meant, "Pass on this side and YOU DIE!".

BTW,
eye30
I know the way how to create a traffic jam in England - one needs to take the left lane and keep on driving with the slowest speed  :winker:

Change "Left" above to "right" as in England they have right hand drive(as do we here in Oz) and drive on the opposite side of the road to the rest of Europe. So if you take the left hand lane, everyone can pass you legally. :happydance:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

surferdude
Yes, thank you, almost forgot about this  :goodjob2:  :D  Once I get to UK I'll hire a car and will be driving in the right lane with a speed of 20km/h.
Here is a new video from my car, shot this afternoon in Saint-Petersburg, on 43 sec a black car is shifting to my lane and doesn't seem to notice me on the road (one can hear a voice of my mother)

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Unbelievable! Every video is "almost an accident". Your roads sure are problematical. And tell me something.. Aren't there any lanes on that 3-4 lane road?!? Huh...good luck man.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Is it because there are no lane marking which cause drivers to "wander"?

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

accim
An upper layer of asphalt was recently renewed on this road, so the traffic lane markings haven't been drawn so far.

eye30
I don't know if it was the reason, but majority of cars are coming straight ahead as there were the markings in place.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Interesting video ..  They really need those line markings pronto. I don't think they would leave a multi lane highway unmarked for any time at all over here ...  :Shocked:

You have given me an idea ..  :idea: (I might leave my camera running on the dash next time I go in the supermarket and see what happens while i'm away.. :happydance:

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

Dazzler
This road is Pulkovskoe highway and the part shown is located within a city.
By the way, I was siting in the car, awaiting for my mother to come back from a shop, I would never leave camcorder unattended in a car in Russia, I'm not an idiot at all  :mrgreen: because having done this and went somewhere for a certain time I would find a window of my car smashed and no evidence of camcorder inside  :twisted: upon my return, most probably.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Over here it would be safe to leave unless you were parked in a back (deserted street) at night...

I don't think anyone would break a window to steal it down here in a busy supermarket carpark during the day...

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

Dazzler
A day light and a busy supermarket carpark won't stop drug addict from stealing anything left unattended in a car, which is worth money for a next dose  :twisted:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I think I will stay in Tasmania  :winker:

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

From 04:10 the car, having got under way started shifting to my lane, I wonder if he saw me or not or, perhaps, the driver expected me to slow down (I was coming home after spending 9 hours in a boat in Ladoga lake and Volhov river afterwards)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Close call.

Are you allowed to "undertake" on motorways?

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

eye30
as I have told before there are two meanings in Russia: overtake - if the maneuver involves taking the lane of opposite traffic; outstrip - almost the same as overtake, but without taking the opposite lane

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

rustynutz
that was me, just was angry with such a maneuver and exhausted having spent 9 hours afloat  :)

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
I was checking some videos yesterday on YouTube. Videos were about some incidents on the roads, stupid drivers, silly drivers, funny drivers, drivers skidding in snow/ice,.. I must say that most of them were from Russia  :scared:

I don't know, but you guys drive quite fast, aggressive and a lot of people don't even bother too look at signs, slow down, check the traffic behind, stop on orange/red traffic lights/Stop signs and stuff like that.

I'm not saying you are doing that, but I see many people in your videos doing exactly some of those things.

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

accim
this all what you have described is possible and taking place because of the system, which is quite corrupted, for example a man, who possesses the power and money may avoid a justice after knocking down the pedestrians, he may also break the road rules driving anyhow he wants, moreover the rules are breached due to miserable penalties, for example: a speed exceeding from 11 up to 20km/h - 100 rub (3 USD roughly), from 21 to 40 - 300rub, from 40 to 60 - 1500 rub and over 60km/h one can be deprived of the driving license.
So I confess I exceed the speed up to 19km/h from the one allowed on the road, because the road policemen do not care about this and do not stop me, even the cameras of auto fixing are not adjusted on this speed.
Meanwhile every Russian, who happens to get abroad by car, is strictly following the rules, cause the penalties are too high and there is a chance of visa being canceled.

To be honest I haven't had any penalties so far, nor I have got into the accidents.   

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal