Almost had an accident

meehalych · 88 · 20552

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Yes, I guess too much law sucks, but the lack of it or not carrying out the penalties (appropriate), can lead into trouble as well.

Here penalties are quite harsh (for our wages). I don't know exactly, but if you drive let's say 21 km/h over speed limit in urban area, you will get a 500 EUR ticket (681 USD) and 5 penalty points (if you collect 19 of them, you lose your license - young drivers lose the license even earlier. If you have your drivings license less then 2 or 3 years, you have 7 points "available"). And when you lose your license, you have to go make your drivings license after 2 years (I think it's like that). In case they catch you driving without the license, they take your car -> yes you stay without a car. And I must say that you can't really pay yourself out, even though we are also corrupted country - at least comparing to some other countries. Maybe some policemen will let you off just with a warning, but they really must have a good day. Oh and yes, if you for example overtake a car dangerously (so there's a car headed towards you and you have to "cut in" --> don't know how it is called, here we say "overtaking in scissors") you will get 500 EUR (681 USD) and 11 penalty points.

Anyways, when I see those clips from your roads, I'm quite happy with the situation over here. We have a lot of egoistic drivers, and drivers who measure the lengths of their **** and cure some psychological issues with cars/stupid driving, but it's not even close to your traffic.

We do have a lot of Russian and Ukrainian trucks here and they do sometimes drive aggressive, even though it's probably not even 50% as they do in Russia.

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
accim
As far as I know "the system of holes" existed in the times of USSR, so with every rule's breach was noticed by the road police the driver had his/her driving license punctured, when the number of punctures reached a certain figure the driving license was taken from the driver. This is quite similar to what you have described.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 12:28:17 by meehalych »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The system of holes sounds like a good idea. Get enough of them and you loose your license,,, because there's nothing left to find! Ha Ha!

BTW Do you video everywhere you go & Can you give me the part number from Hyundai for the item under your steering wheel, it must be optional because ours didn't come with one !!
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Unfortunately you need to adjust your driving to match those around you to some extent. For example, when I drive on the mainland of Australia in most places you have to drive more aggressively to get through the traffic.. It is generally so much easier down here  :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Unfortunately you need to adjust your driving to match those around you to some extent. For example, when I drive on the mainland of Australia in most places you have to drive more aggressively to get through the traffic.. It is generally so much easier down here  :sweating:

I agree with that. Over here, if you drive 130 km/h (speed limit on highway) in the morning, when people are going to work and of course when there are no traffic jams, you will have much more trouble, then you would have if you drove let's say 160 km/h.. And if you drive let's say 100 km/h you will have problems because people are overtaking with 160, 180 km/h and it's not that easy to "cut in". If you are smart you will wait, because usually there are few cars driving at min. safety distance one after another at speed like that (this morning for example on the 15 km highway that I take, there were Audi A6, BMW X5 and a Honda Accord, overtaking everyone, going around or above 200 km/h - nothing special but they were so close I though they wanted to jump in each others rear boots  :lol: ). Last day I was laughing when there was this guy with Audi A6 avant, for who speed 170 km/h just wasn't enough and he couldn't wait for few cars to move away in front, so he decided to pass them ("undertaking") all using the emergency lane. After 10 km I stopped at the gas station and he was also there filling up his car. Didn't seem to be in a hurry though  :rolleyes: :twisted:

But as I've said it, the situation on the road over here isn't even close to the one in Russia, there's also less traffic and there aren't 10 lanes in one direction :D We only have 2-3 + emergency lane of course :)

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

I have been shooting the videos since I got my camcorder as it may be a proof of my innocence in case of intricate or road racket, which popularity has subsided lately, like this one  for example.

Do you mean the accessory, that is depicted in one of the photos in my thread in "Stuff to laugh at" part?  This is not mine, but I wish I had one in the car.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 10:55:14 by meehalych »

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The system of holes sounds like a good idea. Get enough of them and you loose your license,,, because there's nothing left to find! Ha Ha!

BTW Do you video everywhere you go & Can you give me the part number from Hyundai for the item under your steering wheel, it must be optional because ours didn't come with one !!

That reminds me of a practice by Qld police when I was young and we had paper licences (actually very thin cardboard).
If the police pulled you up for an offence and decided to let you off with a caution, the officer would surreptitiously stick a pin hole in your licence. Which meant that if you continued to be a bad boy and got pulle dup again the officer would know when he got hold of your licence that you had had a warning before. No more chances. Gotcha.
A policeman friend showed it to me. I had severl pin holes and he said they would continue adding pin holes each time they booked you . Licence lasted 10 years so they had a perfectly good method of assessing your driving record - way before computers or mobile phones etc.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Yes I did mean the other picture, sorry. :-[
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That reminds me of a practice by Qld police when I was young and we had paper licences (actually very thin cardboard).
If the police pulled you up for an offence and decided to let you off with a caution, the officer would surreptitiously stick a pin hole in your licence. Which meant that if you continued to be a bad boy and got pulle dup again the officer would know when he got hold of your licence that you had had a warning before. No more chances. Gotcha.

That is where the idea came from that cops are a bunch of pricks... :whistler: :rofl:

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

Another close approach at 25-th second, that happened yesterday evening when I was going home from the airport.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
They think because they are indicating they have right of passage.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

eye30
They think because they own more expensive car, they have a right of passage

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

eye30
They think because they own more expensive car, they have a right of passage

Yes and don't forget size.

The bigger the more space they need to squeeze thro'

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

At 03:25 minute Mazda having turned to my road almost came to a collision with me (this is the area near Pulkovo airport again  :D)

And this video from 2:30 shows an importance to follow a speed limit strictly, fortunately there was no car coming right from that truck when it overturned.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 14:41:27 by meehalych »

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I think it's time you found another way home which is safer  :scared:

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

eye30
As I see there are two main ways to avoid any problems on the roads: 1 - to drive a tank; 2 - to fly a helicopter, though either of them seems to be too expensive for me nowadays.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Haha amazing. Good thing to have in mind -> never go to Russia with your own car :D I know some people that work with Russia a lot and go there quite often.. But they are usually driven by others.. In SUV's or limousines.

It seemed "funny" or rather strange, when one of those guys was explaining me the procedure -> trip to the company he works with. He comes to Russia with a plane (commercial, not his) to an airport. There's a SUV waiting for him with tinted windows and after they pick him up, they just drive without stopping... WTF?  :rolleyes:  They don't do any illegal business or stuff like that, but his customers in Russia are quite wealthy. Is that how it's normally done or is there something "fishy" going on in your opinion? :D

Btw -> good thing you two didn't crash (the video above).

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

accim
Give me the name of a company your friend works in, I wanna be a part of it too and be picked up by SUV and limousine every time I'm on a business trip  :D
As I told before those in the luxury car think they have more rights on the roads, cause their cars are more expensive, but the situation seems to be changing gradually as I notice more of those cars follow the rules as well as the other drivers, let's see.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 17:24:20 by meehalych »

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
accim
Give me the name your friend works in, I wonna be a part of it too and be picked up by SUV and limousine every time I'm on a business trip  :D
As I told before those in the luxury car think they have more rights on the roads, cause their cars are more expensive, but the situation seems to be changing gradually as I notice more of those cars follow the rules as well as the other drivers, let's see.

Well he's not really a friend, just a guy I know - "acquaintance". Don't know exactly which company he works in, he and his father run the company, I just know it has something to do with the "energetics". I remembered now also, that they have an apartment in Russia too (spends there 2-4 months/year) and he speaks Russian quite fluid. Don't really like him, his a bit of an "as....ole" if you know what I mean :D

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

Well he's not really a friend, just a guy I know - "acquaintance". Don't know exactly which company he works in, he and his father run the company, I just know it has something to do with the "energetics". I remembered now also, that they have an apartment in Russia too (spends there 2-4 months/year) and he speaks Russian quite fluid. Don't really like him, his a bit of an "as....ole" if you know what I mean :D

Well, I do  :D

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Again..like watching YouTube videos from Russia..scary

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

Again..like watching YouTube videos from Russia..scary
Thank you for watching!
To be continued....  :mrgreen:

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

What gets my goat is when a driver cuts infront, especially at roundabouts like this one when there is loads of space, when they should just follow the natural path of the road/lanes.  This is a good example and if an accident had happened they would blame everyone but themselves.....

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That was lousy driving  :mad:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
There's a big (as in large diameter) roundabout on the exit from our suburb and it's 2 lanes. The number of drivers who negotiate it in the inner lane then cut across to the outside lane as they exit is immense.
You should be clear of the roundabout before you change lanes. It means people coming through on your left who are in the left lane and wanting to turn left, can do so. But if you swap lanes on them, accidents happen.
And they do here, regularly.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Someone needs some training on how to tow a car trailer :scared: :scared:

• Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:Shocked: :Ouch: :disapp:

Offline malaus1

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Thornbury; Melbourne
I think I will stay in Tasmania  :winker:
Hey Dazzler, move to the mainland and it all changes. Never leave any valuables in sight in a car in a carpark. Used to be you could leave the doors unlocked but not any more.
  • 2011 i30 SX, 2Ltr petrol Silver

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal