i30 Owners Club

Vehicle Blackbox DVR dash cam footage

Hati · 39 · 11266

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
My dash cam just arrived, and my review writeup just got dumped by the forum, so here is a Youtube upload instead in 1440x1080 resolution:

Will try a full HD (1920x1080) tomorrow.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Pretty decent start that Hati :goodjob:

All its needs is heavy rain, more dark clouds, muddy roads, crap scenery, undertaking cars and overtaking loonatics and that could be England right there. Oh, and a McDonalds.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Hey, I know where that is!
Looking good.  :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA

The video was taken at dusk Shambles, it worked out that way but I also wanted to see how it presents in low(ish) light conditions. Tomorrow's full HD will be broad daylight. The scenery is just suburban Perth, a trip around the block really. At least you guys have green stuff over there, not so much this time of the year here.

BTW sorry about the noise, meant to warn you guys to turn the sound down, as I had the windows open and the buffeting takes over...

The cam is a cheapy ebay item, but it had all the right accessories and claims to do 1920x1080.. Bought 2, one for the wife's Accent as well.

I fitted the cam next to the rear view mirror, hard wired into the power supply for the dome lights in the sunglass holder, so the camera has to be manually started (press power button), no auto-start when you turn on the ignition. On the upside there is no visible wiring  other than the pig tail poking out from the roof liner.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

It sounds like a similar install to mine.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA

If we were to have that coffee tomorrow, could have compared notes :) It only arrived today, so fitted it late afternoon. The i30 was easy, the Accent was more of a pain due to an extra plastic base for the sunglass holder and extra metal work under the roof lining. The power cable was long enough to go all the way around the windscreen, down the A pillar, around the dash to the power socket, but I don't like that sort of abortion. I have the skills to do it the way I did, so why not ;)
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I fitted the cam next to the rear view mirror, hard wired into the power supply for the dome lights in the sunglass holder, so the camera has to be manually started (press power button), no auto-start when you turn on the ignition. On the upside there is no visible wiring  other than the pig tail poking out from the roof liner.
Yep - same installation here. Keeps it real tidy.

As for the buffeting - I also suffer from that, even with the windows closed :(

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

If we were to have that coffee tomorrow, could have compared notes :) It only arrived today, so fitted it late afternoon. The i30 was easy, the Accent was more of a pain due to an extra plastic base for the sunglass holder and extra metal work under the roof lining. The power cable was long enough to go all the way around the windscreen, down the A pillar, around the dash to the power socket, but I don't like that sort of abortion. I have the skills to do it the way I did, so why not ;)

I also have a long enough cable and it is hidden all the way by the roof lining and the door seal, so no untidy wiring and it comes on with the ignition :D
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Yes Bumpkin, but I'm a sucker for perfection, so I will forever notice the visible bits where you cross over from say A pillar to dash and so on. Most people would not notice it, agreed. However it would eat me up in the long run  :rolleyes: . Plus my power requirements from cig lighter and power socket are already at the point that I had to spring for a dual USB socket as large power plugs like the one coming with the cam make the storage area in the front of the lighter/power plug area useless. I have a GPS, phone charger, iPad charger and now the cam to  plug in. It does get crowded there  :faint:
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Ahh the joys of having three cigarette outlets in various places and built in satnav! :happydance:

There is only one place where my wire is visible, but you have to look fairly hard, I'll take a pic at some point :goodjob:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Ahh the joys of having three cigarette outlets in various places and built in satnav!

Now I'm turning green  :disapp: :D
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Unfortunately I'm tied up today but I can do tomorrow afternoon or Friday anytime.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Cool, see how the painting goes...
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

:goodjob2:
There's always next week too.  :)
I don't want to interfere with the painting.  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
LOL, Please please, fel free to interfere  :D    Any excuse is a good one to get away from it   :goodjob2:  .

Seriously though, I got time tomorrow around 10.30, so let me know if that is suitable.

On a different note, got the full HD (1920x1080) shot up on the tube.

• 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Looks like pretty good value considering what you paid.  :goodjob2:
I'll pm you later today re tomorrow.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
That's great quality video at all resolutions. I can see this will be a common feature in no time. Any pics of the installation process?
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Sorry, no install photos. I recall someone documenting tapping in the power available for the dome lights, which is what gave me the idea to do it the way I have. By the looks of it many of the guys here think the same way.

Right now my only concern is that I lose 3 seconds in recording every so often. No obvious reason as to when and why that happens. Timing seems random. I just disabled motion detection, see if that stops this from happening. It supposed to record over the oldest file when the card is full and at 32 Gig, there is some room to fill, even at full HD.

Best bit is that the format it records in is iPad compatible so it's quick and easy to import and upload.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
@Hati,

Got an Ebay address for your device.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
@Hati,

Got an Ebay address for your device. 

Yes Phil, in my second post in this thread, the word "ebay" IS the link :)
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Right now my only concern is that I lose 3 seconds in recording every so often.
Some models I've tried need that pause to close the current file then open (or delete then open) a new one. One camera took 15 seconds to do that :rolleyes:

Your vid seems to be 720p which is great quality. I always upload mine in highest resolution but the tube never saves them in 1080p.

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA

Your vid seems to be 720p which is great quality. I always upload mine in highest resolution but the tube never saves them in 1080p.

I thought that's the case, I was unable to tell the difference from youtube, noticable "live", you can make out number plates easier.

I hear you about pause for handling files, but these are within the "one" recording, i.e. start cam, drive off, reach destination, turn cam off. Result: lots of small files instead of one large one. Have to experiment with settings to see what can be achieved.

Personally, I'd be happy to have one file per driving occasion, as I can easily save or lock the "important" one if needed.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I have mine set to 5 minute intervals (which yield 250mb files). The max is 15 mins and the minimum is 1 min. I think all the cams I've tried had the same set of parameters/options.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Hati ..  :goodjob: (Very clear for a cheapie)  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
I have done some experimenting with loop recording and its effect on time loss. The menu has 4 settings: off, 1 minute, 2 minutes and 3 minutes for loops.

As mentioned earlier, when I had it set to 3 minutes, switchover between loops caused a 3 second time loss, i.e. loop finishes at say 10.31.03, new loop starts at 10.31.06 If I get someone run into me in those 3 seconds, having the camera is pretty much useless.

So I changed to loop recording off. Now the cam records 10 minute 2 second segments, but does not lose any time at all. Cooking with gas me thinks  :goodjob2:  Files are still reasonably sized for transfer and viewing and my ass is now covered "around the clock" so to speak.

I found audio recording useless other than using it to remind people (or myself) what they said in my car. With windows closed no ambient noise is recorded, so unless I'm missing something it will leave it off.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

The audio is good for road rage if you get some lunatic banging on the window or going off at you.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
see S/Cheap have a Gator DVR car recorder camera up for sale at $69 and you save $19.....hmmmm...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal