i30 Owners Club

driving to work with low-level camera

Alasama · 15 · 3232

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
Eventually made a driving video. Cloudy day, 07:40 AM when everybody is going to work. With my low-level camera installed in my car. I'd like to buy a better one, however this one has not broken yet. :sweating:

Offline Seoul-mate

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, Queensland
Nice video Alasama.
Thanks for posting it. Do you live in Taipei?
Traffic seems to flow very calmly and orderly
unlike when I visited the mainland of China
.....especially in Shanghai.
Russ
  • i30 1.6 Diesel (03/08- 09/12), MB B200 (09/12 -->)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Alasama .. No problems with video quality more than watchable (and a lot better than many I've seen)  :goodjob:

I found it very interesting (Is that the capital city that you live in and are driving through?)

It seems less High Rise than I expected and more thick bush??

Plus you drive on the wrong side and all those scooters  :confused:

Thanks for sharing I will watch a few times so I don't miss anything (didn't spot another i30 yet or Maybe one red one at the lights - not sure?)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
Hi Russ, I live in the township, 50 minutes to Taipei. Taipei has more cars & scooters.  :faint: I've been to Shanghai, too. I can't get used to there. Especially in their Southern cities, people seemed like to horn others, very noisy.

Hi Dazzler, I drive to work from my township to another everyday, and always wondering what's the feeling driving on left side of road. :lol: If by motorcycle, I may take other smaller shortcuts across a small mountain. Since the video quality is okay, I'll keep on using it until it's broken. The red one is Colt Plus, not i30. I meet an gray i30cw yesterday afternoon, but it just appeared in my recorder for just 1 second.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Nick - that was splendid :D Thanks

As said, so so many scooters :eek: and some tight squeezes you had to get through near the end.

But at least you tried your best to remove some of them from the road (2:10) :lol: :P

Great vid :goodjob:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
that was a very orderly drive,much smoother than what i was expecting.  :goodjob: :mrgreen:  i get more traffic than that on my way to work at 5am in the morning.  :faint: :lol:  great video.  :cool:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Super video Nick, and a good dose of Phil Collins to get my day started :goodjob: :goodjob:

Cheers.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
I'm going to be making more use of my windscreen camera now that the UK Government have started thinking about giving the Police a free hand to dish out On the Spot fines for "Careless or Dangerous" driving! Now I dont drive carelessly or dangerously but I suspect these fines are more a revenue raiser than a safety campaign, and, whilst most cops are good to deal with there will be some who see an easy picking where they have camera evidence & most drivers dont... at least MY camera will give me recorded evidence of my behaviour should the odd dodgy Copper try to get money out of me on false pretences!
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Great to see how people drive in other countries.

As other have said there is a lot of bikes.

You would never see that many in UK.

I may see 1 or at the most 2 on my trip to/from work.  Most days none.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Thanks Nick.....brings back memories....I have been to Taiwan (in Jan) and many cities in central and southern China....Your driving and the traffic was very orderly as stated.
In my first visit to Taipei in 2001 I asked my host how come you guys don't get "agro"   :censored: considering how these scooters just cut in and out and basically think that they own the road!!!
  I was amazed that there were not any accidents and commented that if this was Australia, "man there would be road rage and gesticulations a plenty", let alone the traffic fines.

"How do you keep so calm I asked?"
Answer: " when we ride our scooters, we ride in the same way, so we must be accommodating when the situation is reversed".. :cool:
I thought maybe so, but still not easy, so obviously there is a different "psyche" with Asian drivers ( when driving in their own country that is ) :rofl:.

I must say I saw great progress in Taipei traffic this trip, in 10 years they have done wonders....no longer is a set of traffic lights something akin to the grid at a mass start of a 125cc GP race!!! (Smoke , noise and high revs, mmmmm, just missing the smell of the Castrol R)

China is amazing.... rules, what rules, it is a free for all, but same thing applies, everyone has tunnel vision until the last second, then suddenly gives way and all is well, but I must agree, the horns are a constant din !!

Anyway, thanks for sharing..... we all should do it more often....after all we live in a "global" world..   :lol: ( Yes, I know, I know, but you get my drift)

Cheers
 Elle B
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
At 2:10, the small truck was too slow, I had to act like that.
Great to see you enjoy Phil Collins music, that's the concert CD long time ago. I really cannot imagine more traffic at 5am in Australia. We even did not get up at that time. I've been to England once many years ago and I saw no motorbikes. Quite different culture & impressive. The recorder in car now becomes very popular here to protect drivers themselves against road rages & accident events.

"How do you keep so calm I asked?"
Answer: " when we ride our scooters, we ride in the same way, so we must be accommodating when the situation is reversed"..
Yes, your host was right :goodjob:. Scooters always felt the threat from cars, and cars hate scooters occupied the road. Sometimes we (drivers) also ride scooter, we know the conflict thinking between scooter riders and car drivers on the road. As time went by, now we seldom see those noisy scooters with modifications running like GP racing on the road. That's illegal, and it was the story when I was teenager.   :lol:

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
Enjoyed your video, thanks!
I liked the somehow exotic essence :goodjob:

All these scooters looks rather familiar to me, unlike the fact that ALL riders are wearing helmets (they don't here, especially the elder ones)
The roads are a bit ~~~~er than ours, at least i didn't notice any holes on them.

I'm sure your low-level camera is better than my mobile phone :cool:
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Very interesting to see how other parts of the world work, especially for the likes of me who has never been in that part of the world THANKS  :) :) :)

Offline jabber

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Blacktown, NSW
thanks for sharing Alasama aka Nick! good video for a low level camera!  :goodjob: did you use a window suction mount for your camera because i could hardly see any shake.

all those scooters remind me of the Philippines. but i think your (& everybody else's) driving attitude over there is much better. i've seen those scooters shoot in between cars at peak traffic in Manila the end product is always composed of blaring horns, swearing and unkind gestures  :winker: but once passed everything goes back to normal ... until the next scooter cuts you off again  :lol:

well done mate!

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
did you use a window suction mount for your camera because i could hardly see any shake.

this little camera came with a support which was designed for adhesive tape, but I hate to use tape, I mount it into the gap between the glass and roof, it fixed well there. Another camera on my wife's tiny car is a different  model, comes with a suction mount, that's a good fixture, and is the most popular type  here.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal