i30 Owners Club

Burning plastic smell on start up

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
G'day all

As the title suggests I've noticed a burning plastic smell on start up, this is definitely not the same smell as the diesel exhaust smell.

It has only happened on start up and I'm pretty sure it's only started since I filled up with a load of Caltex Vortex premium diesel fuel (possible cause?????).

After I've driven somewhere the smell is not there, just the usual diesel exhaust smell.

I think I might need to call up the service department. I just hope they don't tell me to stop driving the car, as I plan on doing nearly 1500km of driving over the Easter long weekend................

Regards

Daniel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Strange one Daniel.. I'd just check under the car around the exhaust in case you have picked up a plastic bag or something that has got attached to/or near the exhaust...

Assume you have also made sure nothing is astray under the hood...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
G'day all

As the title suggests I've noticed a burning plastic smell on start up, this is definitely not the same smell as the diesel exhaust smell.

It has only happened on start up and I'm pretty sure it's only started since I filled up with a load of Caltex Vortex premium diesel fuel (possible cause?????).

After I've driven somewhere the smell is not there, just the usual diesel exhaust smell.

I think I might need to call up the service department. I just hope they don't tell me to stop driving the car, as I plan on doing nearly 1500km of driving over the Easter long weekend................

Regards

Daniel

Daniel, sorry to hear that mate, i am useing Vortex diesel too have done 550k on the tank since filling up but think there would have been 15L of normal diesel in tank, i will top up tomorrow night . have not noticed any different smell's and have used Vortex before. i think you should phone Caltex and hope you have your recept, check on the vortex web page to get a contact number.

Offline camerooney

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      South Coast NSW

• NSW Australia
The Vortex does have a higher cetane level than standard diesel, but as far as I know it wouldn't produce a burning smell.
Very strange that it seems to disappear after you've driven somewhere.

Have you been able to locate a rough area of where the smell is coming from?
I know with those kind of smells it is very hard to pinpoint where its coming from.

For the engine's well being I would definitely take it into the service department and see what they say.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Just thinking, if it is only at start up could it be the strter motor or something in relation to that? as you would not expect plastic to burn while everything is still not warmed up, that is from motor, but electric burning plastic? beter have it checked but.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I would hazard a wild guess that as it only at start up, could it be the initial combustion smell which is unique to that brand and different to your usual brand
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Actually I don't think it is fuel related, I think once before I filled up I noticed it.

Here's some more points, it only on cold start up that I've noticed it. It's also only outside the car that it can be smelt.

I haven't been driving it, been to busy with work (walking distance) but I'm going to have a look under the hood and around the exhaust.

Cheers

Daniel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Just a thought.. it could be fuel related...

When I was at school (40 years ago) the teacher used to remind us when we put our pens in our mouth that the plastic was made from oil... :razz:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Interesting (?) that for the past 2 days I've been getting a slight burning smell when I turn off, even after a short trip. Last night I stopped, got out the car and popped the bonnet. No smells there but definitely a plasticky smell in the cab for a minute or so. All heating controls were off but the cabin air flaps would still be open as the last time I used the controls the climate control was in Auto mode.

Probably unrelated to this topic which about start up not start down (stopping ;)) but I'll be keeping an eye (and a nose) on this slight stench.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Was it the smell of summer? :lol:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
i noticed, the sump has what could be a plastic cover that is very close fit to the sump. at service when they drain oil it ( the oil ) could get between the sump and this gard, that could give off a burnt oil smell, not sure what burnt synthetic oil smells like? could probably notice that when turn off, but not at start up. solution would be to spray some degreaser around drain plug area then wash off. blow dry.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Was it the smell of summer? :lol:

More like the smell of beans
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal