i30 Owners Club

Engine Won't Start

Guest · 35 · 18988

ouri30
 Went out to drive the family to the local Footy/Netball today and  :mad: ouri30  :mad: wouldn't  :mad: start.

Every thing was ok about an hour earlier when my wife drove down to our local shop to get the newspaper.  The motor turns over, glow light goes out, various xmas tree lights behave normally, but the engine won't fire up.  The Scanguage II doesn't reveal any error codes either.

Boy, the battery is good in this little car.  I've cranked it over countless times in the last few hours and there is no indication of the battery losing power.  I've checked everything I can think of just in case there was a loose wire or connection but still no luck.  I've even tried disconnecting the battery in the hope some component might reset itself, but no luck.

As it is the weekend, there is little I can do.  The car is booked in for its 60k service on Monday but it won't be getting to the dealer as that is 65km away.

:mad: :mad: :mad:
Bob

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Have you tried using the spare key? Few weeks ago my i30 also didn't want to start. I turned the key in the "ON" position (or is it ACC) - well the position before starting my car and noticed that the light for "immobilizer" isn't working (the orange key/car-looking light). So when I turned the key, the car didn't start, because the ECU didn't recognize the key.. And while I was trying to start the engine, that light was blinking. I tried starting it twice, than waited 2 min and then, when I tried starting it third time, it miraculously started?

Check if that could be the case?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sorry to hear that Bob..

Could be this :-

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,2965.0.html

and this one is interesting...

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,1034.0.html

Hope that helps  :'(
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
First link, problem #1 is also possible yes. Maybe the problem is not in the key as I've written it could be, but in the keyhole - receiver. But the same thing..immobilizer doesn't "recognize" the key so (due to security factors) it wont let the car start.

Check if the light for immobilizer goes on when your turn your key in the "ON" position - where all the light on the tachograph go on. And check if it blinks while you are starting your car.

Hope you fix the problem..

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Is the car covered by road rescue?

If so, call them out on Monday and ask them to transport it to the dealers.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Eye,

We get 5 years unlimited Km warranty in Aus but no road rescue or "roadside assistance"

....although local dealer throws it in until the next service in Tas if you get them to service your car...

ouri30
Have you tried using the spare key? Few weeks ago my i30 also didn't want to start. I turned the key in the "ON" position (or is it ACC) - well the position before starting my car and noticed that the light for "immobilizer" isn't working (the orange key/car-looking light). So when I turned the key, the car didn't start, because the ECU didn't recognize the key.. And while I was trying to start the engine, that light was blinking. I tried starting it twice, than waited 2 min and then, when I tried starting it third time, it miraculously started?

Check if that could be the case?

:D Thanks :D,

Just got home from cooking at our local sports club (120 meals).  Tried my wife's key and it started first go.  Only issue now is the ESP light is on and won't go off, even when I press the ESP switch on the dash.  Seem to recall Shambles having some issue.  Don't know if the two things are related. 

Anyway, will try my key (one that wouldn't start the car today) and the spare non remote key tomorrow.

Like others have said previously, isn't this forum great.  My wife will tell the dealer on Monday at the service how an owner from Slovenia got my car going for me.

:D Bob :D

ouri30

If so, call them out on Monday and ask them to transport it to the dealers.

As Dazz has said, we don't get roadside assist - but interestingly, my Santa Fe has 12 months roadside assist.  But we have the equivalent for any car we are driving as we are members if the local automobile association (RAA in our state) which means we can call them and they will transport our car to the dealer if it is required.

Bob

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Great result  :mrgreen:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Only issue now is the ESP light is on and won't go off, even when I press the ESP switch on the dash.  Seem to recall Shambles having some issue.  Don't know if the two things are related.  

What an amazing memory. :eek:

Whenever I disconnect my battery (and once when it had been in for the keyfob "programming") the ESP light illuminates on first key-on. Turning off, removing the key, then retrying has always cleared the warning light.

Good luck Bob.

PS you've made me feel rather hungry :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

ouri30
Only issue now is the ESP light is on and won't go off, even when I press the ESP switch on the dash.  Seem to recall Shambles having some issue.  Don't know if the two things are related.  

Whenever I disconnect my battery (and once when it had been in for the keyfob "programming") the ESP light illuminates on first key-on. Turning off, removing the key, then retrying has always cleared the warning light.

Good luck Bob.

PS you've made me feel rather hungry :P

Shambles, some things just kinda stick in the mind - can't explain why.

Thanks for the ESP advice.  I'll give it a go tomorrow.

And why have I made you feel hungry - I'm confused on that score?

Bob

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Bob

One minute you're Mr Memory Man, the next you're.......

Just got home from cooking at our local sports club (120 meals).

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia

Same thing happened after I had my flat battery.

Regards

Daniel

ouri30

Bob

One minute you're Mr Memory Man, the next you're.......

Just got home from cooking at our local sports club (120 meals).

Oh!  :lol: Gotcha now.  That's what comes from having teenage girls who play netball each week.  It was there teams turn to cook tonight so there I was slaving away over the deep frier and BBQ for about 3 hours.

Bob

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Change the battery in your keyfob, Bob. Sounds like the battery in yer wife's keyfob has more life in it than the one in yours

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

What an amazing memory.

I think ouri30 should now call himself Recall Man.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Total Recall Man

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Total Recall Man
"I'll be there"

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Change the battery in your keyfob, Bob. Sounds like the battery in yer wife's keyfob has more life in it than the one in yours

Hey Steve can you change the battery in the i30 key fob? if so how? thanks in advance

Bob sorry to hear about your problem, must have been very frustrating, great accim found the sollution.

i've never had a flat battery with the i30, but noticed the company toyota & my falcon when battery gets disconected they need the key turned on then off then on to get everything to work right again only the cock needs to be reset.

Offline Seoul-mate

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, Queensland
How do you reset your cock?
  • i30 1.6 Diesel (03/08- 09/12), MB B200 (09/12 -->)

ouri30
How do you reset your cock?

I think you have to press the right buttons.

8) I'll leave that to my wife.  8)

Bob

ouri30
Update:

One keyfob starts the car (wife's) but the other one doesn't.  Standard key with no remote doesn't start the car.  I'm not surprised about the standard key as it was not reprogrammed when we received the second remote as we didn't have it with us.  Evidently the keys need to be reprogrammed as a set.  I can remember my wife telling me the dealer said something like this at the time we received the second fob.

As to the battery being flat, I will leave this to the dealer at the service tomorrow.  The battery is operating the remote from usual distances so I assume it is not flat.  I suggest that the transponder that communicates with the receiver in the lock does not need a battery.  I make this assumption as the key that does not have a battery will start the car (excepting in my case for other reasons).  Someone who has a non-remote key could confirm this for me.

As to the ESP light remaining on after the battery has been disconnected, I can confirm that it rectifies itself as Shambles and others have suggested, namely, take the key out and reinsert, retart and Bob's your (my) uncle (he was actually my late uncle - that's where I got my name from).

Happy motoring - I'm very relieved and grateful for having found the solution to our problem.

Bob

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Great, I'm glad your i30 works fine now  :wink:

I heard that the key can get "damaged" if it is exposed to strong magnets, cellphones, water, or if it falls on the ground a lot of times..something like that..

Have a nice day  8)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
thanks for that tip accim, i will make sure i do not put my key fob in same pocket as my mobile phone to be safe

ouri30
Update:

The dealer could not reprogramme the defective transponder.  They have ordered a new part.  I am unsure as to if this means the whole keyfob assembly or just the transponder.  I guess we'll know in a week or two.  If we wouldn't have got the second remote we would be deeply in the mire right now.

Bob

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
...  If we wouldn't have got the second remote we would be deeply in the mire right now.

Amen to that :eek:

Good to see your fault has been acknowledged; even better that the engineer couldn't do a "quick fix" with the battery, proving that a fault exists that they're prepared to rectify.

Thanks for the update Bob

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You appear to have a really good dealer there Bob.. from what you have said including this issue they are very responsive and helpful..

Have you "aired" their name on here?

ouri30
You appear to have a really good dealer there Bob.. from what you have said including this issue they are very responsive and helpful..

Have you "aired" their name on here?

Can't remember if I've previously mentioned the dealer.  Murray Mitsubishi and Hyundai (Part of Dutton Motors in Murray Bridge, SA - Also run a Holden/Nissan/Mazda dealership and just recently a VW dealership - All three sites operate independant managements and compete against each other).  I've previously had a Nissan and I reckon the Mitsubishi/Hyundai site gives the better service and support.

My wife told them the issue with the keys and they didn't hesitate indicating they would need reprogramming.  When they couldn't program the one key they immediately ordered the replacement.  They also discovered a loose screw in the gear shift knob during the road test and fixed that without being asked.  (And that has nothing to do with any loose screw holding the gearshift on a regular basis - there's no fix for him.)

On more than one occassion in the past they have phoned a week or so after service to see if work they had done had fixed issues we had reported at services.   It's no wonder we went back to them when we wanted a Santa Fe.

Bob

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

They definately deserved a wrap.. not many give that level of service (unfortunately) :cool:

ouri30
All fixed

Further kudos for my dealer and Hyundai Australia.  Yesterday pm (day after the 60k service), the dealer phone saying they had the new transponder for the faulty key fob.  My wife dropped in today and the new transponder was fitted to the key fob and programmed.  Problem all fixed in just 3 working days.  Not bad.

Bob

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal