i30 Owners Club

I30 taking a long time to start - Battery or temperature?

Offline TeaCosy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Qld

• 2011 FD 5 Door Wagon (CW), Diesel 1.6lt, Auto, Red
Hi all,

I have a 2010 CW CRDi auto, i have had it since Jan 2015. It's mostly used for short trips but occasionally gets used for longer journeys of around 200k.

The temperature in QLD has been dropping over the last couple of months. I have noticed recently that the car has been taking longer to ‘kick in’ when the key is turned as the engine cranks over for  around 3.5s. I think the manual states that it shouldn't 'crank' for >5s.It seems like this is more severe on colder days. I expect that these two things are related however I have a feeling it's taking longer on normal (temperature) days too. Whenever that car is started for the second time that day it starts much more quickly and easily.

I described the symptoms to my mechanic last week at my 90,000 km service. He said that the battery was probably not fully charged and that I should purchase an external charger and charge it every 8 months or so. Went to supercheap to buy a battery charger the attendant told me that it was unlikely to be a lack of charge in the battery (citing a higher charging rate when driving). He seemed pretty knowledgeable and trustworthy. As does my mechanic.

Question one:

Is the above anything to be concerned about?

Question two:

What do you guys think is the cause? Engine temperature, battery charge or something else?
  • i30 CW Crdi Auto made 2010

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
After owning the car for some time, I assume you are waiting for the glow plug light to extinguish before commencing cranking.  :idea:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

After owning the car for some time, I assume you are waiting for the glow plug light to extinguish before commencing cranking.  :idea:

:whsaid: But even if you aren't, I would still suspect a Glow plug Issue. Unlikely to be the battery! If it will crank for that long, strongly, the battery is most likely OK.

I seldom let the Glow Plugs charge on our previous diesel and yet it always started 1st pop even on cold days in Tassie!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Have you had the battery tested to see whether it is not holding the charge?

If you do not have a tester then once you are satified that the battery has charged up, say after a trip, put headlights on for 5 minutes, engine off,
After 5 minutes turn lights off then turn engine over.

If starts assume battery ok but if not or long time to start assume battery needs to be replaced.

By the way allow glow plugs light to go out first.

Warning
Only do this at home just incase the car does not start otherwise you may be stranded!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
If there's enough power on the battery to crank the engine then battery is not the problem.

I'm with the other guys about the glow plugs. Had the same issue with mine, 2 glow plugs were dead, changed all 4, then it started @ first crank.  :D
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
If the battery is OK you could try a bottle of Hyundai injector cleaner in the tank when you next refill then a 200k drive on the highway at the speed limit. I do this every time I have any delay starting and it works for me.
  • i30 CW CRDI 1.6l Auto 2011

Offline TeaCosy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Qld

Well this is akward, haven't been waiting for the glow plug light to go out, just turning yhe key until the car starts :eek:. Ill do this when I start the car this arvo and see what happens. I'll also get the battery tested this week. For some reason I haven't even noticed a glow plug light..... I feel pike such a ditz. Thanks for the replies, will see hoe it goes and then update soon  :goodjob2:

Offline TeaCosy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Qld

Has been starting fine now, thanks guys!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Has been starting fine now, thanks guys!

Excellent news!  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal