i30 Owners Club

My 2011 i30 intermittently goes into limp home mode.

Offline rjhudson

• 1st Gear
My 2011 i30 intermittently goes into 'limp home' mode when I reach 3000rpm.  I looked up previous postings that indicated that it was likely a problem with the fuel filter unit.  It was stated that the unit had sensors that may malfunction.  I mentioned this to the mechanic at the Middlesbrough dealership.  I was told there are no sensors in my fuel filter assembly unit.

Is he telling the truth or is it a fob off?

I would appreciate any help please.
  • Hyundai i30 HDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: If I remember correctly it is the fuel filter assembly (not a sensor) but we have a tech on the site and others who have had the issue that should be able to help.  :Good_luck:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
:whsaid: and :welcome:

You might like to view the stickied topic right here in this very board ;)

:link: Limp Home Mode

.. including a couple of further links within that thread.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
IIRC I had to unplug 3 plugs from the fuel filter assembly before I could remove the assembly from the engine bay. Don't know exactly what they detect, but there sure is sensors.

:wttc:

EDIT: I think I found out what went wrong: You have a Peugeot engine in your i30...  :mrgreen: 
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
In fd there are 3 connectors in the filter assembly: fuel heater, temp sensor and water sensor. Fuel pressure sensor is in the high pressure rail.

What error codes you get when the limp mode is on?
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline rjhudson

• 1st Gear
Thank you for your helpful reply.

No error codes  are recorded.

The fault is intermittent. The week before I took it in to the Hyundai dealership, it happened twice. I may be accelerating from a roundabout or some danger, in first or second gear, it gets to 3000 rpm and holds it there.  If I turn the engine off while driving (not recommended) and turn it back on again, it clears the fault.

I took it in for some exploration on Monday evening. On Tuesday it wouldn't start very well and they checked the glo-plugs, finding the readings less than they should be and decided to replace the plugs.  One stapped off. I had to wait until they contacted Hyundai about funding, then they took the head off and needed to send it to engineering company to remove the offending part and put a helicoil in. I got my car back after ten days with them saying we've fixed it.  I asked about the intermittent fault and they said we think it was the glo- plugs, go and try it out.  I am far from convinced but have no option to try it out for a couple of weeks.

When trying to explain about my findings with the i30 ownersclub site the mechanic was quite dismissive.

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply to my predicament.

Regards,

Rex
  • Hyundai i30 HDi

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Error codes may not stay in the memory, if you restart the car. Try to get the car to obd reader when the limp mode is on.  Then you might see the "active" code that has caused the limp mode. I had limp mode issues and only way to get the codes was to read them when the engine was running when the limp mode was on.

There has been fairly many cases with similar problems. They have been fixed with many ways: new fuel filter, new filter assembly, tightening the fuel hose clamps and cleaning the fuel tank pump. It would really help to see those codes. It may be something with the fuel system, or not. If it's fuel pressure issue, I would start by changing the filter, checking the hose clamps and add fuel system cleaner to the tank.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Have you been told this, or have you checked for yourself; my dealership told me this for over 2 years, so I bought an OBD2 Code Reader for £15.00 and instantly found the fault code, relayed this to the dealer, who still ignored it...
Dump the "dismissive" Mechanic.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I find it very hard to have confidence in a mechanic that think the glow plugs can cause your problems.  :disapp:

Glow plugs are only active when starting the car, then their job is done....
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline i30 Esteem

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Newcastle
Does your car have cruise control?

My FD i30cw crdi had cruise control fitted by the dealership. A few months ago I experienced a similar issue; hard acceleration pulling out onto 100kmh road, engine cuts power when full boost is occurring.

I called Hyundai roadside assist and they sent the NRMA. The rep said he couldn't find any trouble codes, nor see any problem.  I took it to the dealership, they said it was an issue with the engine immobilizer and that they've applied an updated that has fixed it.

I took off out of their driveway and started smashing through the gears... lo and behold... 3rd gear, full boost, boost cut out again, CEL illuminated again. 

I took it back and told them to try again! they were very puzzled. 

Turns out, it was a voltage issue that concerned the power supply to the dealer fitted cruise control. They traced it to a fault within the wiring harness for the non OEM cruise control unit and ordered the replacement harness.  In the interim they just disconnected the cruise control.
  • [His: FD i30cw SX Man. CRDi] [Hers: FD i30 SLX Man. 2.0]

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Very interesting i30 Esteem - always useful to be aware of.  Glad they seemed to have found the issue for you.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Have you been told this, or have you checked for yourself; my dealership told me this for over 2 years, so I bought an OBD2 Code Reader for £15.00 and instantly found the fault code, relayed this to the dealer, who still ignored it...
Dump the "dismissive" Mechanic.

Your 2 year Limp Home saga was a Dancar after market cruise control issue wasn't it Mike? It is documented on here somewhere I think?

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Your 2 year Limp Home saga was a Dancar after market cruise control issue wasn't it Mike? It is documented on here somewhere I think?

Yes, it could be the problem (wiring loom) I did not post the link below, because I assumed that rjhudson would have carried out a Search on this Forum.
However, here it is:-
:link: Limp Home Mode

I notice it has had over 21,000 hits....
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 08:20:30 by Mike SX »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Mike!  :goodjob:

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Thank you for your posting. Unfortunately I do not have power steering so that would be eliminated. Thank you for your help.
Something wrong here - I think   :crazy1::lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thank you for your posting. Unfortunately I do not have power steering so that would be eliminated. Thank you for your help.
Something wrong here - I think   :crazy1::lol:

:MeToo: The op is in the UK, I don't know of any UK i30 without PS unless it has failed!  :needspecscleaning:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
If you didn't have power steering, you'd look like this

(click to show/hide)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Having has complete EPS failure - I second that Shambles.

I must have missed something - power steering and limp home mode?

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

I must have missed something - power steering and limp mode?
Maybe the additional steering effort wore him out, leaving him no strength for later...  :wink:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 14:13:59 by Mike SX »

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I must have missed something - power steering and limp mode?
Maybe the additional steering effort wore him out, leaving him no strength for later...  :wink:

I see what you did there!  :lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal