i30 Owners Club

Transmission Vibration (Clutch issue) & Coolant Loss

Offline dereknunn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
Hello,

I have an almost identical fault with a 2013 GD Diesel manual that has covered 90,000km, the vibration occurs from 1600-1900rpm.

The problem started at around 60,000km and continues to get progressively worse.

The vehicle is also loosing coolant at an increasing rate, around 2 litres in the past 15,000km, with no visible sign of a leak.

I first noticed slight coolant loss at 20,000km

The vehicle has now been left with my local Hyundai dealer for ongoing further investigation.

I will post updates in due course

Administrator Comment Extracted from this thread
  • 2013 i30 CRDi Manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hello,

I have an almost identical fault with a 2013 GD Diesel manual that has covered 90,000km, the vibration occurs from 1600-1900rpm.

The problem started at around 60,000km and continues to get progressively worse.

The vehicle is also loosing coolant at an increasing rate, around 2 litres in the past 15,000km, with no visible sign of a leak.

I first noticed slight coolant loss at 20,000km

The vehicle has now been left with my local Hyundai dealer for ongoing further investigation.

I will post updates in due course

Thanks Derek and  :wlcome02:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :welcome:, Derek. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline dereknunn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
Just an update on my situation.

My car was left with Hyundai for around 10 weeks. I was provided a loan car.

A software update was applied, a cylinder test was carried out, and a full inspection made. Nothing conclusive was found and the vibration and coolant loss continues.

I have kept a detailed log of the coolant loss over the past weeks, which seems to occur during multiple short stop/start journeys opposed to single long ones.

A section of the exhaust system is to be replaced next week, when once again I am told I can have a loan car so my car can remain with Hyundai for ongoing investigation.
  • 2013 i30 CRDi Manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the update Derek. Very odd!  :undecided:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Well at least you're being treated correctly by the dealer.

However, to end up with a null result after 10 weeks indicates a deficiency in their expertise IMO.

Sadly, you are too far away form Criuserfied #2 technician in the world (soon to be #1) . Hopefully he may have some ideas and although distance is a problem, it is effectively circumvented BY THIS FORUM.

Thanks to Dazz & Shambles and all the members, for collectively creating this unique colourful environment of knowledge. :hatoff:

And after that, I'm wondering if there are any welds in the body that could be contriuting to you vibration. Don't konw the history of tha car but maybe an accident repair has come unstuck. Just a thought.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline dereknunn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
Hi All,

Another update on the situation with my 2013 i30.

The head gasket has now been changed, the head reportedly tested out OK but was showing signs of corrosion on some of the valves which Hyundai accept as the result of the gasket failing. This will be covered by warranty.

A front section of the exhaust system was replaced at the same time, again covered under warranty, but this did not cure the vibration.

The gearbox has finally been removed and I have been provided the attached photos of the clutch, the flywheel is reported to be OK.

The dealer advises the clutch shows no sign of abnormal wear, but advises the springs in the clutch are loose which is causing the vibration.

Needless to say Hyundai are claiming the clutch replacement will not be covered by warranty; I've been quoted $1459 to replace it.

The vibration became apparent at 60,000km and was duly reported to Hyundai, yet the clutch managed another 34,000km in this condition with the vibration slowly worsening. During this time the car was serviced by Hyundai at least twice, and test driven by numerous Hyundai representatives without comment. Prior to removal the clutch did not slip, judder, or in any way suggest to anyone it was worn; the fault would seem to be only the loose springs vibrating.

For the past two years I have made fortnightly round trips of 1700km, eight hours each way on empty bitumen highways through remote WA. The cruise control remains set at 110km/h apart from when I negotiate the one right turn and one left turn on each leg of my journey, and stop for fuel half way. These trips account for the vast majority of the km's the car has covered and must be optimum conditions for causing minimum wear to just about every component on the car (other than perhaps the air conditioning).

I managed nearly 75,000km on the factory Hankook tyres, and at 94,000km the original brake pads still have plenty of life left. Hardly indicative of a driving style likely to result in premature failure of transmission components. My last i30, a 2010 diesel manual, managed well over 100,000km on the original clutch, and that did far fewer highway km's than this one. I have owned numerous turbo diesel hatchbacks over the past 20 years, predominantly VW, Peugeot and Citroen, and not one experienced a clutch failure in less than 200,000km.

Any comments or assistance from members would be most welcome, and I have a 521KB video clip I'd be happy to PM if you would like to see exactly how loose and rattly the springs are.

Thank you.

• 2013 i30 CRDi Manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I would be making noises about getting the accc involved. If the clutch still works but the springs rattle it is component failure not wear and tear. ..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Here is Derek's short video...

Offline mrcarrotcake

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Edinburgh
What is the vibration like. Can you feel it through the steering wheel and through the seats?
  • Kia Cee's 1.6 CRDi

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal