i30 Owners Club

ping noise from steering

Craig · 15 · 4040

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Hi all,

It sounds like my steering has developed a fault at slow speed, which is likely actually large movements.  I'll describe it as a 'ping' noise but it makes me think of plastic rods getting pinged or snapped. It's not very loud, but it seems to be getting more frequent.

After a bit of googling I'm concluding 'strut bearing', which will lead to spring failure if not fixed.

Car 3 months out of warranty of course :/

Any ideas how many hours of labour I'm looking at for this?  Parts seem relatively cheap at £10-£30 for the strut bearing.  Any other likely candidates if it's not the strut bearing?

Thanks.
  • 2010 i30 1.6 CRDi comfort auto (pre facelift) & 2017 Hyundai Ioniq hybrid

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Has it been serviced by Hy?

If so, when was last and should they have noticed this?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Yes it's been serviced be the Hyundai dealer until now.  It's currently approx 1,000 miles until the next service.  I don't recall it making the noise before the last service.

Have read a little more on here and found something about a 'steering adjustment'.  What is that?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Yes it's been serviced be the Hyundai dealer until now.  It's currently approx 1,000 miles until the next service.  I don't recall it making the noise before the last service.

Have read a little more on here and found something about a 'steering adjustment'.  What is that?

Have you always used the same dealer so valued customer?

If so, why not take it in and ask for service quote and also ask them for a no obligation quote to look at the issue and see what they come back with.

If major ask them to enquire with HY HQ to see if they would be willing to either cover or make goodwill payment.

That way you'll get to know what it is and then make desicion as to where to have it done

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Replacing the strut bearings will take approx 1,5 hour each and then I believe a wheel alignment will be necessary.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow

Have you always used the same dealer so valued customer?

If so, why not take it in and ask for service quote and also ask them for a no obligation quote to look at the issue and see what they come back with.

If major ask them to enquire with HY HQ to see if they would be willing to either cover or make goodwill payment.

That way you'll get to know what it is and then make desicion as to where to have it done

The dealer won't so much as look at a car without getting paid. At their rates, I'm looking at £100 for them to tell me what I possibly already know, then £100/hr labour, plus their parts markup.

Is it major enough to warrant even speaking to them?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Surely any good dealer would do a quick reccy foc.

I know the one i use, small family franchise, does or has done for me but again family have bought 4 cars from them and use for service.

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
The rear brakes have now been done and that seemed to reduce the problem greatly.  They inspected everything else too and didn't pick up any steering issues.  I think the noises might go entirely when I get around to replacing the front brakes.  Air bubbles in the lines maybe??

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Air bubbles would be a VERY SERIOUS problem, as air can be compressed which would reduce / cancel the front brakes from working when applied.  :Shocked:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Hang on did i miss something??
How did we go from "ping" in steering to replacing rear brakes??
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Hang on did i miss something??
How did we go from "ping" in steering to replacing rear brakes??

Sorry, I missed a few steps.  Basically I came to realise that the noise was actually coincident with applying or releasing the brakes, and more of a creak/spring noise.  The garage had said at the last check that he brake fluid had a bit of water in it too.

The rear brakes needed done, and the noise has gone to about 10% as frequent since getting them changed.  I'm going to confirm that I got a full fluid change and, if not, see if that resolves it completely.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

The garage had said at the last check that he brake fluid had a bit of water in it too.

So the garage released the car back to you with this!

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Strange, really, as I've had this "springy pingy" noise right from leaving the showroom... never really bothered me that much. Only occurs when turning at low speeds with flexsteer set to comfort.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow

The garage had said at the last check that he brake fluid had a bit of water in it too.

They did indeed.  Getting it replaced for free this afternoon.

Took one of their mechanics out in it too and gave him a shot.  He said the pedal was also way too soft, which should be resolved by the fluid change.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

They did indeed.  Getting it replaced for free this afternoon.

Took one of their mechanics out in it too and gave him a shot.  He said the pedal was also way too soft, which should be resolved by the fluid change.
So NO brakes!

Not much of a defence if you had to slam them on and caused ££££££ of damage or injury.......,

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal