i30 Owners Club

6 speed gearbox

Thumper · 31 · 13830

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Again, Australia misses out.

Why can't Australian's have the 6 speed gearbox option on their Turbo Diesels?

Lower RPM on the highway results in better economy.

Given that Australians on average drive longer distances than most other countries, why do we suffer?

I am constantly searching for a 6th gear when on the highway.

Hyundai, please consider!

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Agreed Thumper! Also want a 6th gear

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'm expecting the wagon (CW) version in '09 (In Aus) and reckon the hatch will get an SR diesel version with 2.0ltr 6 speed....(watch this space) ... 8-)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

ouri30
Thumper,

Not 100% sure, but from what I have seen the 1.6 diesels world wide come with a 5 speed box.  It's only the 2.0 diesel that comes with a 6 speed box.  

I have ripped this from an Irish website review:

All have five-speed manual transmission as standard, except the 2-litre diesel which gets a six-speed gearbox.

Also from the same review:

Of the cars we tested, the 1.4-litre proved lively, if a little noisy; the 1.6-litre diesel was the most adept at dealing with some incredibly twisting hilly roads while comfortably cruising on the autobahn; while the 2-litre diesel felt slightly out of sorts in all environments but the unlimited open motorway and even then it never felt exactly punchy, but rather a little front heavy.

Of the engines on offer, our choice would be the 1.4-litre petrol for suburban and regular motoring, and the 1.6-litre diesel for the high mileage users.

Here's the ink to the review: http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/motors/2007/0314/1173789810406.html

Bob

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Quote from: "ouri30"
Thumper,

Not 100% sure, but from what I have seen the 1.6 diesels world wide come with a 5 speed box.  It's only the 2.0 diesel that comes with a 6 speed box.  

From Hyundai Australia own website: http://www.hyundai.com.au/Hyundai-unvei ... fault.aspx

Transmission
Hyundai research has shown that changing from a 5 to a 6-speed gearbox and extending the top three ratios delivers a significant reduction in engine speeds with a corresponding reduction in consumption and emissions. Changes include:
• Replacing 5-speed with 6-speed manual gearboxes

This is on the i30 1.6lt diesel.

Gosh, Hyundai KNEW that replacing the 5 speed with a 6 speed box helps reduce consumption, but doesn't give us the option of utilising this!  :evil:

*Sighs*

ouri30
Thumper,

I have no issue with the fact that a 6 speed box would be of benifit.  I was only pointing out that from what I have seen on websites and specs around the world, the i30 1.6 CRDi is not available anywhere in the world wiith a 6 speed box.  Therefore, Australia is not missing out because on anything that is available somewhere else (currently).  We are missing out on the 2.0 CRDi with a 6 speed box.

Bob

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Woops, I guess this entire thread is a bit premature of me, then.  8-)

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
Hi,
How about a 6 speed gear box for the 2.0 litre petrol motor! that'll bring fuel consumption down a bit wouldnt it? and i would benifit from it cause i drive one!

ash

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah good one Ash..

Still it depends on the gearing... Everyone is probably sick of me saying it but the 2007 Tiida I bought for the wife in March is a great car with a 6 speed manual transmission.

The stupid part is the 6th gear isn't an overdrive and even in 6th the thing is still pulling more than 3000RPM at 120km even though it has enough torque to use higher gearing. (fortunately it is a very quiet car!)

Guess Hyundai will follow the others to 6 speeds sooner rather than later...

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
yo,
yeah i just thought it would help but yeah 5 speed is alright atm im sitting somewhere between 2500rpm and i think 3250 rpm at 110km im not to sure havnt gone on a long distence trip in ages but i am this weekend so will have to see what rpm i get.

cheers
ash

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi again Ash..

The diesel is only doing around 2500 at the limit I think.... but the diesel is fairly low revving by nature.

Rgds,

Dazz

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
hi

yeah but with me like prob with most of you guys want lower ltrs/100kms. and the six speed mite help. mite have to have a discussion with my mechanic about the 6 speed box and see if possible i can have one fitted to my vehicle just to see if it improves fuel cosumption. would be interesting though.

cheers
ash

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Take a lifetime to recoup the cost of a 6 speed box in saved fuel.. probably only save less than .5 ltrs per 100km and the conversion would cost A$1000 + is my guess and could stuff your warranty.

Not sure what model you've got but could upgrade the tyres to some Michelin or Goodyear fuel saver type (might help a bit)...

Rgds,

Dazz

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
hi

yeah i have 17inch 235/45 R17 low profile tyres on the car atm and they are kumho. changing tyres mite help neva heard of that but ive heard keeping the tyre pressure right can help to.

cheers ash

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Ash

Lakes, who has gone AWOL.. :(  often talks about the michelins but other brands have them too (usually with silica in them and a special low rolling resistance tread pattern) but you're probably best to wear your Kuhmos out first...

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
hi
yeah i better those kumho's are about 8 months old cept for one cause i had to get one new one (grr round abouts) but yeah i heard adrenaline tyres are suppose to be good and they have that anti rolling stuff on them to. and they are 250 per tyre.

ash

Offline timmmmm

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Central Coast NSW
I would really love to know if there's any update to the 6 speed manual gearbox - I'm ready to put my order in for a SLX crdi, and obviously don't want to do it yet if there's more options to be released in the future. I'll be using the car to commute up and down the F3 freeway from Central Coast to UNSW at Randwick - mostly highway cruising. I have emailed Hyundai Australia re the press release below but as yet still have no reply.....

http://www.hyundai.com.au/Hyundai-unvei ... fault.aspx

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi timmmmm,

Welcome aboard (so to speak). What I've read of the iblue i30 it will be even more economical but have less power as well...

Compared to many cars the i30 crdi isn't really crying out for a sixth gear.... It would be nice but certainly the 5 speed it pretty nice to live with.

From our experience on this forum it looks like spending $250 to $300 on an exhaust upgrade and maybe swapping the air filter to a K& N could make some worthwhile improvements but I wouldn't be waiting for any major upgrade to happen (that can be an ongoing trap....I.M.O.)

Cheers,

Dazz

Offline timmmmm

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Central Coast NSW
Yeah I think you're right - I got a reply from Hyunda cust service:
"The range of iBlue concept cars released at the Geneva Motor Show are
looked to be implemented in a range of vehicles into the future. We have no
definite date of introduction of any of these concept models. The i30
manual transmission is still a five speed unit, however we have introduced
a six speed manual in the 2.0 litre Sonata range of diesel engines."

I've got to put my order in before my wife gets really annoyed with me taking her car all the time leaving her with no car - happy wife happy life................

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You're not wrong...

Offline TheBunyip

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hi All,

Now lets see. To lower the already frugal consumption further we want a six speed gearbox as standard or at least an option across the range, the Michelin Energy Tyres already announced by Hyundai, underbody streamlining to get the drag down further and the long awaited Cruse Control as standard. No more messing about with only offering ESP as an option even if Hyundai Australia's additional charge is respectable compared to some others. Oh YES to be first off the starting blocks with offering EURO5 compliance (with or without a DPF) or better in all markets.

I have no expectation of seeing it but I would love Hyundai to offer as a factory fit the installation of Dual Fuel - Diesel and LPG blending kit for another 20% fuel consumption improvement not to mention the Torque and HP boost. Such an addition would improve emissions considerably and might even beat EURO5 requirements in one easy jump. For my money such a mod would qualify to be marketed as a Mild Hybrid and then we would see a lot more i30s on the road. Although I am not sure I could convince the green brigade who want nothing less than a solar powered electric cars immediately as an interim before we all go back to just walking. At the moment the technologists are not able to satisfy the green brigade's worthy dream and t looks as if they have not the inclination to give me the proven LPG blended Diesel.

If we look at what is offered in other countries we could add all sorts of things like all electric and automatic windows. GPS navigation etc.

Add all that I can dream of or even think ought to be standard  and I fear I would be priced out of the market.

On the other hand it might be fun to conduct a poll to list and see which additional features the members of this international club think should be a basic standard for the i30 worldwide. Get enough responses and it might be worth inviting the other non English Forums to contribute their items to the list and their votes as well. We already have several members for whom English is a second language who might be willing to be our Ambassadors.

With two additional factories being readied  up to build the i30 (China and Czech Republic) who knows what Hyundai could deliver if only their customers were to let them know what is actually important to those prepared to purchase an i30.

So Come on Guys and Girls what does your Wish List look like. Hyundai has ambitions to improve its status in the eyes of the world I am sure we could offer some helpful ideas.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

As usual Bun-yip a well worded proposition... I'll put my thinking cap on and let some others in first for a change!

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
I, for one, would be one of the first people to purchase one of these 'green' i30 diesels. There is more than enough power/torque from the 1.6 CRDi for normal day to day driving and out on the highway.

Another thing to note, the i30 was based upon the Elantra? If so, then this news might be of interest.

http://www.hyundai.com.au/Hyundai-annou ... fault.aspx

Hyundai announces world’s first LPG hybrid production car

- World’s first ‘LPI’ hybrid, the first to use advanced Lithium-Polymer batteries
- Operating costs poised to be lowest of any hybrid currently available
- ‘Hybrid premium’ cost can be recouped in two years through fuel savings
- Emits just 103g/km of CO2 and 90% fewer pollutants to qualify as Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle
- Initial sales initially restricted to Korea – launching July 2009
- Export market opportunities being investigated – including Australia

Hyundai Motor Company plans to start retail sales of its first LPG-electric hybrid vehicle in July 2009. To be sold initially in the Korean domestic market, the Elantra LPI Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV) is the world’s first hybrid vehicle to be powered by liquid petroleum gas (LPG) and the first to adopt advanced Lithium Polymer (Li-Poly) batteries.

Powered by a Liquefied Petroleum Injected (LPI) Gamma engine displacing 1.6 litres, a 15kW electric motor and a continuously variable transmission, the Elantra LPI HEV is a mild-type hybrid capable of delivering a competitive fuel economy rating.

LPG electric Hybrid in an i30 could be possible.

Sign me up for one!  8-)

As for a 6 speed box, I would like to see the i30 diesel 1.6 to sit at around 1,800rpm when doing 110km/h (It would be even more frugal than it is now)

Offline OZPACMAN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Trinity Beach, Qld
Whilst I was looking at various vehicles prior to purchasing the i30, I had the opportunity to test drive a Corolla which had the six speed manual.  I'm afraid to say I'm not a fan of the six speeder.  To me the ratios just seemed to be closer together and you spent all your time changing gears.  I do not believe that the six speed box offers any real benefits to real world driving, and can't help but think this is a marketing gimmick.  My CRDI is sitting on about 2200 rpm at 100 kph.  How much further do you want to lower the revs at this speed.  I love the spread of ratios on this car and reckon they're about right as they are.

Cheers,

Russ
  • 2008 i30 CRDI 5 sp manual.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Russ. Thanks for the thoughts and welcome to the club :lol:  :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: "dazzling_darryl"
... What I've read of the iblue i30 it will be even more economical but have less power as well...

There were brochures scattered around my dealership earlier today, giving some details of the iBlue. Less than 120gm/km emmission meaning it attracts one of the lowest tax disk penalties, and avoids all London congestion charges. Goes on sale "soon" I was told. Available in the UK only in the Style 1.6 CRDi model (middle of the range).
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline sparki30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

• Kent England. 1.6CRDI Premium
My understanding is that the late 2009 i30 models with the new 128BHP 1.6 diesels WILL have 6 speed boxes. Oh, and a £35 per year road tax bracket !

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I guess depending on what it would cost it's possible Hyundai OZ could bring in the 2009 i30 with 6 speed (in some models anyway...) to match several other rivals...

Offline CRM114

• 2nd Gear
I would have to agree with Shambles on the 'too-busy-changing-gears-to-enjoy-the-drive' syndrome (c).
My 'other' car has a six speed gearbox, and with the turbo diesel, I'm glad it's automated.

It does improve economy though, no question.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Quote from: "CRM114"
I would have to agree with Shambles on the 'too-busy-changing-gears-to-enjoy-the-drive' syndrome (c).
My 'other' car has a six speed gearbox, and with the turbo diesel, I'm glad it's automated.

Hi CRM114 ...

I think it depends a bit on the ratios.. My wife's Nissan Tiida has 6 speeds but they are too close together. Think 6 speed i30 would be good if the 6th gear was a true overdrive. the 1.6 CRDi could pull a sixth gear with 100km spinning at 2000RPM would make for a very quiet and economical cruise...I.M.O. anyway 8-)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal