i30 Owners Club

AC Smell??

Offline Ausi30CRDi

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia
Hello all,

At times my AC will emit a sweet fruity chemical smell.

It's used every day, but the smell comes and goes randomly.

Never did blow very cold in the 2 years of ownership but I'm just curious as to the smell.

Cheers!
  • 2013 i30 CRDi CW

Offline buff

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
Bactria can build up in the air vents and cause a smell in the system.
Best way to remove the smell is to remove the old cabin filter and use a air vent deodorant like this Meguiar’s Air Re-Fresher Odor Eliminator Mist once done insert a New cabin filter and all should be sweet again.
  • 2017 PD i30 Elite, Diesel 1.6lt, DCT, Iron Grey

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Definitely change the Cabin filter, not very dear snd the air flow should improve.
Easy job to diy, buy from most spare parts guys or ebay. You'll be amazed at the crap .
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I wouldn't expect a dirty filter to smell sweet and fruity :undecided: remove the filter and check - if it's a paper filter and it's filthy then throw away and get a new one :goodjob2:

You can get genuine on line (eBay) far cheaper than what Hyundai will charge, or there are reusable air filters like K&N which cost more but last for ever with periodic cleaning and refresh.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I wouldn't expect a dirty filter to smell sweet and fruity :undecided: remove the filter and check - if it's a paper filter and it's filthy then throw away and get a new one :goodjob2:

You can get genuine on line (eBay) far cheaper than what Hyundai will charge, or there are reusable air filters like K&N which cost more but last for ever with periodic cleaning and refresh.

Kates FD 2012, Ruby, smelt a bit like oranges or lemons when they hit that stage just before they grow fur   :eek:  :lol:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Kates FD 2012, Ruby, smelt a bit like oranges or lemons when they hit that stage just before they grow fur   :eek:  :lol:
:crazy1: :lol: That could be quite dangerous too I suppose, breathing in fungus spores :eek:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
:crazy1: :lol: That could be quite dangerous too I suppose, breathing in fungus spores :eek:
Was full.of seeds, hair, bits of leaves, dead bugs , dirt/dust and black crap.

Offline Ausi30CRDi

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, Australia

That's exactly what I was going to say - smells like a rotten orange where both the rotten smell and the sweet orange smell are emitted at the same time.

I actually have a replacement filter already, just haven't got around to swapping it over.

Cheers!
  • 2013 i30 CRDi CW

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal