Bargain Shopping

AlanHo · 7 · 1975

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
One evening whilst we were in Devon, management decided that we should avoid having a high calorie dinner in the hotel  – instead a modest low calorie repast in the sanctuary of our hotel room.

So – I found myself at 7.30 pm in a Morrison supermarket in Teignmouth looking for a suitable meal. Management found for herself a salad with prawns with an apple for afters – I went for the low calorie Melton Mowbray pork pie, an ultra low calorie mature cheddar cheese, french bread stick, Eccles cakes for afters and a nice bottle of plonk.

As we drove back to the hotel with our meals, Libby asked me if I had noticed the stuff the woman in front of her at the check-out was buying. She said that this shopper had a range of things – all marked down to 9 pence including packets of salad, a pack of minced beef, a large Melton Mowbray pork pie and some packs of bread rolls.

Now fast forward 3 days, we are back at home, and I am dragged out to our Morrisons at 7.15 pm (which also closes at 8.0 pm) on a bargain hunt. I was a reluctant companion but went along with the scheme for the sake of marital harmony.

It was quite an experience – I found myself reluctantly mixing, and barging shoulders with, professional bargain hunters in the melee as prices were marked down on items which had a sell-by date expiring that day. It was literally a rugby scrum - which at first I found repugnant - but eventually my competitive spirit took over, I sharpened my elbows, and I launched myself into the fray with gay abandon. (No jokes about the use of the word “gay” please).

We came away with £28.68 worth of food at a total cost of £4.05 which included a cooked chicken (normal price £5.45 for 40 pence), a pack of 4 lean pork steaks (for £0.65 instead of.£6.35), a £1.65 seeded loaf for 9 pence and numerous other items of great value.

I have been booked to accompany her again next Wednesday.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Now i know why they posted profit warnings this week.
It was the day after your raid!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Bargains are great.

And I fully understand why it was posted in our Sport section :lol:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I love that sort of shopping (my excess "bulk" comes in quite handy)  :happydance:

Unfortunately, since the supermarkets have reduced some "staples" to lower prices (e.g. milk to $1 per litre) they have stopped being as ruthless with their markdowns and specials..  :Pout:

You are lucky to get 20% off something about to expire (let alone 80% +) That is the case in North West Tassie anyway..
 :fum:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Same here Dazz.  :(
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Bargains are great.

And I fully understand why it was posted in our Sport section :lol:

Rugby!

You scrum down when checking the bargain shelf out
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Some players have had their bottoms poked in a scrum. :D
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal