i30 Owners Club

Tragic Crash

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
We've had a fatal crash in W.A. today during a high speed pursuit.
I've spent a lifetime involved in these chases one way or another and there are no easy answers.
There will be calls to ban pursuits again but in my opinion then anarchy takes over.
Very sad.

http://www.smh.com.au/wa-news/mother-dies-after-police-pursuit-ends-in-dianella-crash-20120412-1wvpp.html
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That is terrible .. Like you say no easy answer but the police need to make every effort to be careful in these chases to avoid collisions, as if they hit another car then they aren't going to catch anyone either... :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
That's a really sad read.

When I first saw "Dianella" I thought it was alluding to the Princess Diana paparazzi pursuit.

What also shocks me is that the news article appeared before this:

It is understood the father is yet to be notified by police

All very sad for the daughter...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

That is terrible .. Like you say no easy answer but the police need to make every effort to be careful in these chases to avoid collisions, as if they hit another car then they aren't going to catch anyone either... :confused:

They do that anyway and as reported, the inquiries will reveal if all protocols were followed. If not, then the police officers will have their own problems to deal with.
Our union has on many occasions called for police officers not to pursue, due to the lack of legal protection given to them when things go wrong.
There is a misconception though that these lowlife offenders only drive recklessly whilst being pursued by police. That isn't true; they do it all the time regardless and they have and do kill people when not being pursued by the police, who are only trying to apprehend them and take them off the streets.
I do think that much better use could be made of technology but of course that costs lots of $$$ so is not high on the priority list of any government.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
The fact that there was a collision would suggest the police didn't proceed through the intersection with caution so me thinks they are gonna be in the poo.... :undecided:

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

The fact that there was a collision would suggest the police didn't proceed through the intersection with caution so me thinks they are gonna be in the poo.... :undecided:

It has been conceded that they contravened the red light.
Also, they did not have permission to pursue but were in the process of seeking it.
I feel for those guys because they would have had all the right intentions but they will have problems, I think.
I also feel for the family of the deceased and injured and I can't imagine what they must be going through.
The police involved were from our Gang Crime Squad who deal with organised gang crimes including outlaw motorcycle gangs.
No winners here.

• Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I've heard that the adrenalin can take over with police chases and normally sensible police officers can turn into cowboys....  :undecided:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I've heard that the adrenalin can take over with police chases and normally sensible police officers can turn into cowboys....  :undecided:

Adrenalin can play a part, but there are two of you usually, one driving & one calling the pursuit to VKI (communications) and it is always in your mind that everything you do is subject to close scrutiny at a later date in the cold, hard light of day.
Certainly more experienced officers tend to be more level-headed and the training you get is very good and usually kicks in.
But in every pursuit there are dozens of split-second decisions to be made that you have to be able to stand by later.
Plus, VKI is constantly monitoring the situation from the information you are providing during the call and the commissioned officer up there has the authority to abort any pursuit at any time and they often do.
The baddies know that if they turn their lights off (at night) the pursuit will be aborted. If they cross to the incorrect side of the road, it will be aborted.
This is common knowledge amongst offenders so they do those things constantly to get the police off their tail.

• Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Thanks for the info, Dave.....

I've got some footage taken from a show on tele called "Highway Patrol" which features a "cowboy" in pursuit of some motorcyclists around Albert Park here in Victoria. I'm amazed this bloke is still on the force considering the way (in my opinion) he endangers the public......(What's even more amazing is they showed this on TV)
At the end of the clip there's some extra footage which is worth watching.

Not sure where it came from or who originally posted it, but it was pulled off youtube quick smart.

Maybe I should upload it..... :undecided:

It might not last long though......  :)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

:lol: :lol: :lol: I watched a short pursuit on that show recently (of a motorbike) and I was a bit amazed too that they showed it.
They ended up crashing into the guy as he rode back towards the police car and IMHO he was "taken out."
At least the audio was saying all the right things though.  :)
Sometimes though, you have to do what you have to do so I'm not being judgemental - it just didn't look too good on tv.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I decided to upload that video....hope it stays awhile....  :D

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Thanks for the video Rustynuts.  :goodjob2:
We may have to agree to disagree on this one.
To me, that was just a normal pursuit that happens everyday.
It wasn't caused by the police, it was caused by the idiot on the bike.
He chose to do it, he created the situation and the responsibility lays totally with him.
The police were just doing their job IMO.
Ignore these idiots and they will become more prolific. If they know they won't be chased, of course they won't stop.
High speed pursuits are dangerous. They are dangerous for the offender, the police and the public, which is why the courts need to hand down significant penalties.
The rider was not only totally unconcerned about the safety of others, he was also a liar and tried to weasel his way out of it.
Sorry, no sympathy from here.  :)
And it was interesting to note that he was involved in yet another HSP 8 weeks later. That shows his level of intelligence and concern for others.

• Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Don't get me wrong, Dave, I'm not defending the riders, they were idiots.

I just couldn't believe how the cop was happy to basically force that car into an intersection against a red light just so he could continue the pursuit when it was obvious the rider was long gone... :rolleyes:
That and his driving on the wrong side of the road heading into traffic seemed way to stupid....

And what about the comments saying to ram the rider?  :eek:

Sorry, but that guy, in my opinion, does nothing to enhance the image of police......  :confused:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I missed the bit re ramming the rider.
It's a hard call and I guess I'm looking at it from their point of view so I may be a bit biased.
At the end of the day, when my daughters are out there driving around I'd rather not have these idiots out there too.
Good video though and it shows it for what it is.
I don't think we're really too far apart in our thinking!  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Or could suggest that someone was so absorbed with whatever they were doing in their vehicle other than actually concentrating on driving and proceeded into the path of a Ford Territory which was displaying lights and sirens. Failing to give way to an emergency vehicle is an offence. Not one you should lose your life over, but still.....It is also unwise to base your opinions on the so called facts that the media may choose to highlight in the interests of creating a sensational story, from which they can spin off days of opinion pieces and updates.

These days it seems, everyone wants to be the expert comments guy, but no one wants to play the game first.

It is tragic that an innocent member of the public, just going about her business has died in these circumstances. It is equally as tragic that two employees going about their job have been involved in a situation that has caused them to engage in actions that have led them to the same circumstances and will cause them unbelievable stress, scrutiny and a degree of investigation that no other member of reasonable society will ever endure.  It will go on for years, and if they make it out the other end, they will be forever changed. The only person no one seems to care about, is the grub who made it happen, who if caught, will not be held responsible for the incident they caused.

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell (attributed).

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Failing to give way to an emergency vehicle is an offence.

That may be so but a flashing light and siren doesn't take away the police officers responsibility to only proceed through a red light when safe to do so.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal