i30 Owners Club

Germanwings incident

FatBoy · 33 · 6354

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I'm surprised that there hasn't been a comment on here yet about this incident (notice I didn't say accident).

:link: Germanwings Flight 9525 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the reports so far it looks as though the co-pilot deliberately flew the aircraft into the ground.  A very sad state of affairs for all concerned.  There are the typical "knee jerk" reactions on all of the radio and television reports, stating that there should always be two crew on the flight deck at any one time. 

I can see problems with this.  This is a very rare occurrence for this to happen, although not unheard of.  The additional cost that will result in this will be passed onto the passengers, and it won't be insignificant.  Depending on the level of "crewing" required, it may require redesigning of the flight deck, as well as the hiring of additional aircrew.

I believe that the problem was with the individual, not the procedures and checks that Lufthansa had in place.  He knew that the checks and balances were there, and deliberately subverted them.  Unfortunately this looks as though it has resulted in the death of 149 innocent people.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
No comment from me about it, as it seems clear the the offending pilot was obviously, loco.

So sad that 1 person can determine the exit from this world of so many innocents, similar to 911. I hope all their souls are in a better place and RIP.

Glad I don't fly anymore.

AFA the pilots, I thought there were 2 there all the time already, so how would it be more expensive.

It would appear that I have now commented.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

AFA the pilots, I thought there were 2 there all the time already, so how would it be more expensive.

The Captain had left the cockpit to use the toilet, a common practice on these size jets.  The regulations that they propose mean that there would always be two pilots on the flight deck, therefore they would have to have another pilot on board the aircraft, so that one could leave the flight deck for such a situation.

Flying today is still statistically the safest form of transport.  The number of people carried and number of flights is increasing, yet the number of accidents and fatalities is decreasing or staying constant.

Yes, yes you did.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
A little potty would be cheaper.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Yes, a very sad state of affairs.
No winners here.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
A little potty would be cheaper.

I don't like going in front of other people, nor would I want to turn my office into a toilet.  Many flight decks these days have male and female pilots.  While I am sure that most pilots wouldn't mind getting their gear off in front of the opposite sex, their wives/partners might.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I thought you were an advocate for equality  :mrgreen:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
:judges: :rofl: :rofl:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

He's just paying it lip service.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

I am, but Mrs FatBoy doesn't like me getting naked in front of any other females.  I know, I tried, I got hit, hard, it hurt, a lot, I had a squeaky voice for a while afterwards.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
 :disapp:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My understanding is that some airlines have already decided that must be two people in the cabin at all times - I am not aware it says two pilots at all times.

If a captain or pilot leaves the flight deck a designated member of the cabin crew have to take his/her place.

My son - who is a British Airways captain flying Airbus 320 and 321's - is currently undecided what is the best solution. Aircrew and airlines all have differing perceptions.

Last year my son was hit with a sudden headache one night which lasted for some hours. He saw his doctor who pronounced it was a migraine attack - and prescribed some medication.
My son reported the incident to B.A who grounded him immediately and reported it to the authorities. To cut a long story short he got his licence back after 6 months garden leave whilst they monitored the extent of the problem (which has never re-occurred and is now believed to have been a virus).

I mention this because it is incumbent on air crew to report any medical (or mental) problems - but some don't for financial reasons. The airlines are very dependent on individuals being honest or staff reporting concerns about colleagues.

I guess that this tragedy will wake up some air crew and airlines to the need to be more vigilant.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 13:27:42 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
IMO the best solution is to not let people with mental health issues fly.

You could get around the two people in the cockpit issue if you were serious about doing something "silly".  For example, does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :snigger:

Very difficult to tell when someone is mentally ill, some are very skilled at covering up their issues.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
As Alan said, the vast majority of pilots self-report any health issues, mental or physical.  I have been grounded for extensive periods for health issues, those being things that would not have an impact on doing a normal desk job, nor impact people operating heavy machinery.  For example, I was grounded when I found out I needed root canal therapy.  The rules stated that although I didn't have any symptoms, I should nonetheless not fly until the therapy was complete (two months) and then reviewed by an aviation doctor.

That is one of the reasons that my employer has "loss of licence" insurance.  That covers the person if they are unable to fly anymore due to medical reasons.

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer

The Captain had left the cockpit to use the toilet, a common practice on these size jets.  The regulations that they propose mean that there would always be two pilots on the flight deck, therefore they would have to have another pilot on board the aircraft, so that one could leave the flight deck for such a situation.

Flying today is still statistically the safest form of transport.  The number of people carried and number of flights is increasing, yet the number of accidents and fatalities is decreasing or staying constant.

Yes, yes you did.

As it's being reported here in Europe it wouldn't be two "pilots". The purser would simply sit in while the pilot or co-pilot take a leak. It's SOP in USA and Norway (that i know of) and a few other countries. The Netherlands are "looking into it" (typical)
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Yes, yes you did.

As it's being reported here in Europe it wouldn't be two "pilots". The purser would simply sit in while the pilot or co-pilot take a leak. It's SOP in USA and Norway (that i know of) and a few other countries. The Netherlands are "looking into it" (typical)

Same here in Australia (although some agencies are still reporting two "pilots").  It will be interesting to see how this is managed.  Will the flight attendant have to undergo any training to understand what the pilot is doing?  I wonder what my union will say (although it doesn't affect me). 

:link: Germanwings crash: Cockpit security raised in Australian airlines | Breaking National News and Australian News | The

I do agree with the comment from the pilot representative.  It is a knee jerk reaction to an unfortunate incident, without proper thought on how it will be implemented.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
It is starting to come out that the Co=Pilot has Had mental health issues,was on medication for that same issue and this information was known by the airline,what the F*#k was he doing sitting behind the controls of a plane.

When I had my little dummy spit a while ago,my doctor was required to notify not only my employer but also dot also DOT,I was removed from the vehicle until I was classed as stable and the medication I was placed on was not having any adverse effect on my reaction times or frame of mind while driving
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Due to know health issue i can see a massive €€€€€€ claim for compo
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
..... and all because a few reporters went digging. The information was there.

As said, this could mean mega compensation if proven that the airline could have known.
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
It is interesting to see this information come out while the investigation is still underway.  In particular, some of the information from the Cockpit Voice Recorder.  This information should only be available to the investigation team, which means somebody is leaking the information, reducing the confidence that the investigation team is doing the right thing.

I reiterate that this is a knee jerk reaction.  This is not the first time that something like this has happened, so why react now?

I do agree with others on here, it "appears" to have been caused by the co-pilot with mental health issues.  It will will be interesting to know whether or not the airline knew about them.  From accounts that I have read, it looks as though he was concealing them from his employer.

I did read a good comment from a pilot cautioning about the knee jerk reaction.  He wanted to wait until the investigation was completed, and the report on the incident released with recommendations.  He also mentioned that all pilots are required to have annual medicals, which in Australia at least, includes a mental health and lifestyle assessment.  Flight stewards are not required to have medicals nor mental health assessments.  So they are going to let somebody into the cockpit that hasn't been assessed as mentally stable.

CASA does do checks and follow ups on mental health issues, and has withdrawn licences from individuals because of it, even when the individual fights the decision.  For example, there is an ex-Army person, who is now a pilot; he lied about his background and mental health issues.  He was in receipt of a DVA pension for PTSD, yet claimed in a few medicals that he has never had a mental health issue.  He got caught out, and his licence removed.

On a lighter note, what did the prostitute say to the alcoholic?  Would you like a coffee straight after take-off, Captain?

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

On a lighter note, what did the prostitute say to the alcoholic?  Would you like a coffee straight after take-off, Captain?

:Shocked:    :lol:
Male hostie and female captain?   :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

That would cancel out pretty much everyone... :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Speak for yourself!  :P
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

He speaks for me too!!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

He speaks for me too!!

I can still fly .. They don't call my pills uppers and downers for nothing.. :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Anyone that is or has been married would have to be suffering mental health problems...  :whistler:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Anyone that is or has been married would have to be suffering mental health problems...  :whistler:

I know my wife is!!  She is as mad as hell!!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
 :lol:  :goodjob:

I was once told by a wise man that "love" is just a form of mental illness.....I reckon he was right!  :lol:

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

:goodjob:

I was once told by a wise man that "sausage" is just a form of mental illness.....I reckon he was right! 

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal