i30 Owners Club

Buying used i30 GD or PD. Which would be the better choice?

dman26 · 4 · 2107

Offline dman26

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Hi there, I'm new to the forum so I'm not sure if this question has been answered but I may as well give it a shot.

I'm in the market for a new car and the i30 ticks all the boxes for me. I have a budget of 20k and as I've been doing research I've found it hard to decide on which version I should go for.

In Australia a used GD goes for around 14 - 16k with low km's but the PD is a much nicer looking car with more creature comforts. I'm just after a car with a great drive train and something that is cheap to run.

Sorry for the essay haha but I'm interested  to see what you here on the forums think.

Thanks and all the best,
Daniel.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Daniel and Welcome.

That is actually a very good question. Interesting that you like the styling of the PD more than the GD as many saw the styling as a backwards step. I have grown to really like the simpler styling of the PD but reckon the GD particularly in wagon form still looks modern and stylish.

At around 20 k new you may get a demo PD but it will be a very basic Go version. Without doing a search you would get a much higher spec say 2 Y/O GD with lots of bells and whistles and plenty of warranty left.

Not long after I paid around 31K for my PD SR in 2017, my Step daughter picked up a 2 Y/O GD SR premium with more bells and whistles than my base SR for around 21K she loves it.

I wanted Auto Cruise and like my frugal 1.6T motor with DCT more than her thirstier 2.0 with 6 speed auto so it probably wouldn't have suited me.

I'd see what was about if I was you and drive a few of each back to back. It depends on what features float your boat. I'm sure once you've driven and inspected a few of each in a similar price range you'll know what feels right for you.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
G'Day dman,
 :i30:
IMHO,
Hunt around for top range 2016 GD. Good bang for buck. Sold our 16 gd Active X to pickles last month 13500, they put 17000 on it. Gone now.
Be hard as dealers are doing it tough,  be prepared to walk away and go up the street  to the opposition. 
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline dman26

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Hi Daniel and Welcome.

That is actually a very good question. Interesting that you like the styling of the PD more than the GD as many saw the styling as a backwards step. I have grown to really like the simpler styling of the PD but reckon the GD particularly in wagon form still looks modern and stylish.

At around 20 k new you may get a demo PD but it will be a very basic Go version. Without doing a search you would get a much higher spec say 2 Y/O GD with lots of bells and whistles and plenty of warranty left.

Not long after I paid around 31K for my PD SR in 2017, my Step daughter picked up a 2 Y/O GD SR premium with more bells and whistles than my base SR for around 21K she loves it.

I wanted Auto Cruise and like my frugal 1.6T motor with DCT more than her thirstier 2.0 with 6 speed auto so it probably wouldn't have suited me.

I'd see what was about if I was you and drive a few of each back to back. It depends on what features float your boat. I'm sure once you've driven and inspected a few of each in a similar price range you'll know what feels right for you.

Hey Dazzler,

Thanks for the reply. I'll go down to a dealer in the coming week and test drive the PD and if they have a GD i may as well test drive one of those too. You're not wrong about the GD style wise as I had another look and they are a nice looking car too.

All the best.

G'Day dman,
 :i30:
IMHO,
Hunt around for top range 2016 GD. Good bang for buck. Sold our 16 gd Active X to pickles last month 13500, they put 17000 on it. Gone now.
Be hard as dealers are doing it tough,  be prepared to walk away and go up the street  to the opposition. 

Hey mick,

Thanks for the reply also, If I was to go for the GD it would be a later year model as all the defects and issues would have surely been ironed out by then (if it had any). I'm more leaning to a GD as it represents the best value for me rather than going for a base model PD.

All the best.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal