i30 Owners Club

Repairing plastic trim?

Offline avexdevil

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Administrator Comment In reference to :link: Door plastic

have a similar problem here, but would want to avoid removing and repainting the plastic trims if possible

moved some furniture today and had some of the plastic interior damaged. the silver trim and leather textured plastic were among the things that got scuffed and scratched. it's pretty unsightly and very obvious due to the shade differences. Anyone here know the best way to have this restored with the best results? the only idea i have right now is to buy some aerosol paint from SCA and pray hard the colours available are a good match. There's unfortunately not much I can find on the internet for interior paint matching. It's matte black/dark grey for the faux leather plastic and a chrome/silver for the trims. People with the i30 active GD/premium would be familiar with what I'm referring to. Any help rendered appreciated.
  • i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
have a similar problem here, but would want to avoid removing and repainting the plastic trims if possible

moved some furniture today and had some of the plastic interior damaged. the silver trim and leather textured plastic were among the things that got scuffed and scratched. it's pretty unsightly and very obvious due to the shade differences. Anyone here know the best way to have this restored with the best results? the only idea i have right now is to buy some aerosol paint from SCA and pray hard the colours available are a good match. There's unfortunately not much I can find on the internet for interior paint matching. It's matte black/dark grey for the faux leather plastic and a chrome/silver for the trims. People with the i30 active GD/premium would be familiar with what I'm referring to. Any help rendered appreciated.
Can you post some clear pictures of the worst damage via a suitable hosting site. I wouldn't use spray. Only vinyl spray would be suitable but you won't match the colour. A quality protectant from meguirs or similar would help a bit. Use our search funtion for other trim damage threads.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline avexdevil

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
appreciate all the responses, can't say the same about the puns :P.

I've attached a few pictures; they're from my phone so aren't great quality or show the severity under proper lighting conditions...

:link: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.
:link: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

it's had to photograph the scuffs on the plastic leather, it's actually a much lighter grey in the real.
i've contacted a few motor trimmers to see if i can get the paint matched. I might lightly sand and spraypaint/colour over it...
  • i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I've seen complete GD doors sell for $100 at wreckers so I'd look around and buy another trim if it were me.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Craig beat me to it. Might be able to pick up the trim for less than repair cost.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline avexdevil

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
thanks, just had a quick look through gumtree and some parts were listed for $30+. only thing would be the labour to have the parts installed...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 14:11:33 by avexdevil »
  • i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
A door trim shouldn't be to hard to replace yourself, I personally haven't done one but should be easy enough to work out...I think there are some topics on the forum here that even describe how to remove the panels.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for the photos. The scratched silver trim is the biggest worry. Because the scratches are quite deep I think spray will not help as much as you hope. Either replacement or find someone good at vinyl wrap maybe??
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
A door trim shouldn't be to hard to replace yourself, I personally haven't done one but should be easy enough to work out...I think there are some topics on the forum here that even describe how to remove the panels.

Pretty sure they are - think it is covered, at least, in one or more of the speaker replacement/upgrade topics...
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
The only one I found quickly (probably not using the correct search terms) is for the FD and for the front door...

However the basic process should be the same - remove some screws, start unclipping panel (at some point feed door release handle through it's hole), continue to unclip and probably need to move trim up slightly to unhook off lip at bottom of window.

If you have a firm, but soft/slightly flexible, spatula or something similar that could help levering the trim - if you are weary of possibly making marks at the edge of trim - which is something to consider if you get a whole door to get the trim.

:link: Removing the Door Card (front left) - Photo Guide..
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal