i30 Owners Club

Recommendation for Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror

AleM · 15 · 5206

Offline AleM

• 2nd Gear

• es Spain
      Malaga
Administrator Comment From this thread :link: Recommendation for Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror

This is what I installed :link: SmartView RVM Premium Reversing Camera Combo | The Car Kit Company it's the same mirror used by Hyundai here with vehicles that don't come standard with reverse camera, if you don't require the camera then you'd only have to power the mirror alone.

They also have a new premium version auto dimming revision mirror though it's much more costly but the dimming function is much better than mine :link: SmartView RVM-OEM-AD Premium Reversing Camera Combo | The Car Kit Company

Hello! I'm considering to change my interior rearview mirror to one like yours. I have seen this in AliExpress: :link: 4.3 " TFT LCD del coche del parabrisas del espejo retrovisor soporte del coche Monitor con canales de entrada de vídeo para sistema de ayuda al aparcamiento

The question is... what 'base mount' I should order? I think that the mount #7 is for i30 FD, but for a i30 GD? The number #1 ?
Please a little help  :happydance:

Anyone can show me a photo from the original rearview base? I tried to quit the screw, but I couldn't, the screw is ¿crossed-thread? (I don't know if that is the expression, in spanish is 'pasado de rosca'). (the screw is a Torx T15)

I will share with you the rearview mounting process and rear camera when I do  :D
  • 2013 GD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt (110CV/81KW), Manual, Steel gray

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Seems to be a similar mirror to mine but there are slight differences, could be a newer model or another brand :undecided: my mount has a ball socket into the back of the mirror as shown in the pic below.

The base screw should loosen slightly then the mount should slide off the base, I don't have a picture of the original mirror and mount but the new mount looks similar to the #1

Offline AleM

• 2nd Gear

• es Spain
      Malaga
Thanks for answer. The only one that it would stay would be the base (the piece that is sticked to glass). It means that the ball and "arm" of the original mirror would go out too, don't worry about that. I mean the support/mount type, what I mark in your photo and that screw is which is 'broken' in my car (i will have to go to Hyundai to quit that).

I will go to Hyundai workshop to unmount it and see what type is.

PD: thanks and sorry to Admin by make a new thread, I thought was fine write in the same old thread.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Original thread was ok but a new one of your own gives you more focus :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I guess you have rounded off the inside of the hex screw, you might be able to get it out with the next size up hex key maybe or even a drop of super glue on the end of it, sometimes even a small flat screwdriver might fit in at the correct angle and grab enough to turn the screw.

Offline AleM

• 2nd Gear

• es Spain
      Malaga
Yes, it is not totally rounded but the T15 doesn't fit very well.

I will try tomorrow like you say, with a flat . I already probed the next size of hexagonal T20 but neither fits.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I just checked mine, the screw itself should be a 2.5mm Hex/Allen key

Offline AleM

• 2nd Gear

• es Spain
      Malaga
I just came from Hyundai's workshop. They say that it's to difficult and they don't want manipulate that...
I have probed with different types of screwdrivers, none of them works... even I probed with a elastic rubber (globe that can be inflated?), but nothing, it's impossible. I will have to assume it and buy other type of rearview.

Thanks anyway!

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If the screw is that stuffed then you'll have to drill/tap it out, or break the mount which could be risky and crack the windshield :eek:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I think the mount can be detached from the screen by using some nylon fishing line similar to a cheese cutter. Use gloves or you'll slice yourself, though.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I think the mount can be detached from the screen by using some nylon fishing line similar to a cheese cutter. Use gloves or you'll slice yourself, though.
Just the screw on mirror mount is what needs removing Phil, not the glued windscreen base which the mount attaches to.

Offline AleM

• 2nd Gear

• es Spain
      Malaga
Just the screw on mirror mount is what needs removing Phil, not the glued windscreen base which the mount attaches to.

Exactly, I don't need remove the piece which is glued to the windscreen. However, it might be a solution. Remove all from windscreen and then buy a new mount and glue it again. The question now is... Will I can buy an original mount (the "windscreen' piece" ), glue it and keep it safe? Or maybe it will not glue strong enough...

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
They can be glued as the replacement windscreen guys do it all the time though it would be preferable to retain the original...even if I had to destroy the mirror mount I'd still rather keep the windscreen base if possible.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

It was in reference to reply #8, rather than breaking the screen or causing a lamination crack.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

It was in reference to reply #8, rather than breaking the screen or causing a lamination crack.
It's the confusion between base and mount :confused:  :Juggler: :p :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal