i30 Owners Club

Leather steering wheel cover

Offline Aussie1973

• 2nd Gear

• mt Malta
      Malta, Europe

Got new I30 this week was looking on putting on a leather steering wheel cover as I hate the plastic feel to it at the moment.
Saw this on ebay was wondering if anyone here has bought one before price seems reasonable but was wondering on the quality.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HYUNDAI-I30-REAL-LEATHER-STEERING-WHEEL-COVER-BLACK-/260765182359

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Price is indeed reasonable, and seller has good reputation, but it looks like you'd be doing the hard work yourself - could it be done in less than an hour I wonder?

But at that price (+£2.99 to Malta), what would you have to lose...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Hey Aussie, I brought a really nice RM Williams leather steering whell cover from Repco about a month ago. It fits, feels and looks great.
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hey Aussie, I brought a really nice RM Williams leather steering whell cover from Repco about a month ago. It fits, feels and looks great.

Any chance of a photo of it fitted UM?

Aussie 1973.. that looks pretty good for the price ... I am pretty handy with a needle and thread .. I custom made one for one of my previous cars many years ago out of some scrap leather but that looks a fair bit easier....wife is not so keen unfortunately for her i30 as she has little hands and might make it too thick for her to hold comfortably.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Aussie1973

• 2nd Gear

• mt Malta
      Malta, Europe
I think i will try the ebay one will let you know on the quality of it as it arrives.

Offline jabber

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Blacktown, NSW
a leather wrapped steering wheel feels & grips better. my i30 trophy came standard with a leather wrapped steering wheel so i suggest go for it!

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Any chance of a photo of it fitted UM?

Sorry for being such a slack a*se, but here are a couple of photos of the RM Williams leather steering wheel cover I purchased from Repco.

I've had it for a couple of months now and find it very comfortable.

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
I bought the ebay one and found it nice and soft, but it was very fiddly to put on.

After about a week the stitching came undone and because of its design it came adrift all the way around.

It's design flaw is that you are not stitching through the leather but just looping through a hem around the outside, see their site for a youtube video showing that.

The cover didn't fit properly, still having a gap like the RMWilliams one between each side, but also had the downside of a thread going backwards & forwards across the gap.

When I complained they provided one made to measure, but it also came undone again.

They were very prompt about giving me a refund, but I wouldn't bother with their product.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

That's not good news druggist. You would think the stitching would hold up, especially in leather. As I said, the RM Williams one I have is great and the gap doesn't effect the cover.

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
I ended up buying something similar from Repco. Unfortunately the RMWilliams ones at SuperCheap had the bulls horn logo on it so had to chase around to get one without that logo or bunny ears or several others.

Happier with my purchase now.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for the photos UM .. looks good but Trish has little hands so probably make the wheel too thick for her.. :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

I ended up buying something similar from Repco. Unfortunately the RM Williams ones at SuperCheap had the bulls horn logo on it so had to chase around to get one without that logo or bunny ears or several others.

Happier with my purchase now.

My RM Williams cover has the bulls horns and logo on it too. I just installed the cover with the logos facing the dashboard so I can't see them when I'm driving. I can see the bull horns when you look in from the outside. It looks kind of mean and nasty :D :D

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
gee'z your hands must be big to hold that steering wheel with such a big cover on it um.  :scared:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

gee'z your hands must be big to hold that steering wheel with such a big cover on it um.  :scared:

Yeah, you're right 2eyes, my hands have to grapple with the whole 4mm extra diameter the cover makes to the  steering wheel :whistler: :whistler: :whistler:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

Yeah, you're right 2eyes, my hands have to grapple with the whole 4mm extra diameter the cover makes to the  steering wheel :whistler: :whistler: :whistler:
4mm extra,i thought it looked fatter than that.   :rofl:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I'm a bit late i know, but that e bay cover looks like what we had to put up with back in the 60's. not what i would use. i saw that R M Williams in an RMW store up the sticks it looked quality to me, but more like what you would put into a Ute. so UM did you grab the bull by the horns & ride off? :rofl:
myself have never minded the stock wheel. i used to drive an old car with a mother of pearl looking steering wheel was about 20 inch diamiter and on the thin side, no power steering or air conditioning no indicator lights no brake lights & three on the tree :rofl:
cheers

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal