i30 Owners Club

few mods to the little blue wagon

Offline little blue wagon

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      south australia
Hi guys first post ,wifeys had the lbw for 17 months now, got it to replace her corolla that was hit up the back and it didnt feel right after the repairs.
first thing she comented about was that because of the sloping front and being a bit shorter than me she had trouble seeing the front corners,so a bit of google  and a look on ebay found a combined front rear parking sensor kit and a little switch that had the right symbol on it.
because the car already had rear sensors,kept those as spares found hyundais front sensor add on instructions and sensor mounting template on line. pulled the front bar off, drilled mounting holes for sensors ,used one of those Narva add a circuit fuse thingys
drilled a hole near the fuse panel door for the switch and mounted the display with some velcro on the dash mat ,put the front sensors in the rear sensor sockets so the the display was easier to read .Results happy missus she can turn them on/off as needed and the switch light wasnt in her face but visible , and they have audio warning as well so she doesnt have to look at the display constantly.
first picture is the rh front sensors other side is the same,
second picture is the switch,
third picture is the display on the dash
have some more stuff to add later cos i changed the stereo next to an android unit but ill leave that for another day
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 12:58:47 by little blue wagon »
  • 2013 gd wagon petrol 1.6ltr auto blue

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      south australia
ok next up cos she liked the reverse cam on the hire car head unit while the toy was being repaired ,she wanted it done ,so after seeing all the android updates on here i got a fairly cheap 7" android 9.0 head unit and the associated bits.
these are the ebay item nos or manufacturer part nos.(no affiliation to any of these sites or products)
head unit    it no 192961785214
aerpro face plate    FP8120
aerpro iso adaptor    APP087 (goes from iso to hyundai connector
aerpro 16pin harness to iso (pulled the pins and swapped them to suit pinout on head unit)got a small 16 pin on clearance for $5.00
reverse cam with bolt mount ( any one you like) pal system.
usb dvr cam ( 382851149622)
usb lead 300mm (one end female to plug into head unit other end will be chopped off)
twin rca male lead ( anything you like at other end cos its gets chopped off)to go into head unit av connector.
heat shrink ( used for wire joins and bare ends, and to go over plugs to stop them coming out)
anti glare screen protector  ( got them to suit wifes ipad for $5.00 for 3) killed two birds with one stone.
trim removal kit (bought a set from rxpxo on clearance )heavy duty and good quality.

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      south australia
First job was to mount the reverse cam.
on the wagon there is a square blanking plate above the number plate which just pops out from the inside, so after taking a few screws out and using the trim removal kit  i removed the tail gate interior trim and popped the blanking plate out ,drilled a hole  for the camera and fed the wires through and spliced the power leads into the reverse light leads, then cut the  av plug off so i could feed the leads though the grommets into the roof lining of the wagon then  pulled the right hand boot trim lining off and fed the wires through to the back door then under the sill plates to the front of the car where i soldered another  av plug onto it and fed it behind the dash to the centre consul.
(pic is of camera mounted in the blanking plate)

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      south australia
next job was to remove the old gd1 head unit (easy as thanks to this forum)
and to get the usb interface out (found pin out of the connector on this forum)
pulled out pin 8 and pin 11 (these get spliced and reinserted later)
chopped all the other wires and covered the loom ends with heat shrink .
on the plug end i soldered the usb leads to the plug ends (1,2,3 and4) and covered the joins with heat shrink
then i soldered the the av leads to the plug end leads (7,16 and 15) and covered with heat shrink
fed the leads through and up to the space where the head unit will
spliced the head unit illumination lead to pin 8 and a fly lead to pin 11 (this will go to head unit/common ground) reinserted pins into plug and reinstalled usb interface.
first two pics are the usb interface plug all soldered the third pic is of the plug loom all cut and insulated with pins 8 and 11 taped  ready to be spliced and reinserted last pic is usb interfacepin out diagram from this forum with my scribble of the leads used

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      south australia
next up was to connect up the head unit (applied the screen protector ,they sent the wrong ones so i left it on and carried on with the install) with all the pins from the head unit leads changed it was just a matter of plug and play . just had to splice the ilumination leads to the head unit and steering wheel controls to head unit key1 and ground, and to the fly lead from the usb interface then connected the av leads , usb connector and rear camera av in and power lead . all held with heat shrink to stop them comming apart.
mounted the head unit to the new face plate , fed the second usb lead out the passenger side of the dash and fitted the dvr camera to it, (the camera has dvr lane depature collision avoidance and a couple of other features) fed the lead behind the door rubber behind the a pillar trim and under the head lining, mounted the dvr on the black shade area behind the mirror, fed the gps antennae the same way to the base of the windscreen.
then it was just a matter of screwing it all back together, and setting all the parameters  of the apps.which took longer to do than the install.

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      south australia
pictures are
1, usb stick in and playing
2,head unit in and working (shiney screen protector on ) now has the anti gloss screen protector on and is working well.
3, front dvr lane departure colision avoidance camera (red bit above the lens is the pull tag for the lens protector)its all metal and unclips from the mount ,
head unit just goes into sleep mode when you turn car off (5 second boot) and starts up to 5 apps on start ie gps ,dvr, radio clock etc. and the volume is preset .
has a really good sound set up system just pull the  icon to where you want the sound centred and its done.
added clock app cos it was a bit hard to see the time at a glance (now the screen is all clock and every thing works in background) the dvr sits as a small window which you can place anywhere on the main screen and a single touch of the screen or mode button brings it up to full screen , turning the lights on dims the head unit to night mode , plus puts a lights on graphic on the home screen plus gps readout of speed. plus all the other usual android  stuff.
results, really happy with how it turned out ,really easy to use just a touch or gesture and looks like its supposed to be there
and all for a really reasonable price.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for this but you can add much bigger better images by clicking on "click here to add an image to this post" under  your reply.
We don't encourage attachments  as they increase our bandwidth and our back up size and are easily lost if a file gets corrupted.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      south australia
thanks for the heads up re images

these are the parking sensor pics