i30 Owners Club

15,000km i30cw missing 3 years of services

Offline malamute

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
I am interested in buying an i30cw, at the moment I am looking at a 2010 model (2.0L petrol) with 15,000km. However it has only ever had its 1,000km service. As far as KMs go, it is right on needing a service. But as far as age goes, it has missed a couple. It looks to me like it would need its 15,000km/12 month + 24 month + 36 month services all in one hit.

Any idea how big a deal this is? What should have been performed at these services? Is the main issue going to be the age of the oil? Would I no longer be covered by the 5 year hyundai warranty?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 01:27:50 by malamute »
  • i30cw

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
welcome aboard.  :goodjob2: :goodjob: :mrgreen:   do you know what the vehicle was used as/for by its previous owner? you should be OK too just have the 15,000km service as per normal,even though its way overdue.  :idea: the warranty may be void because of the service being overdue on time,not distance travelled. its usually 12 months/15,000kms or 6 months/7,500kms.  :sweating:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline malamute

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
It was previously owned by a university I believe, but I am not sure what they actually did with it. Not much I guess with such low KMs. A bit of a bummer if the warranty is void, it looked like a good car otherwise.
  • i30cw

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
is it a private sale or a Hyundai dealership,you could always haggle for the service and warranty.  :idea:

Offline malamute

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
It is up for auction next week. I reckon I will have to adjust my maximum bid to take the service cost and lack of warranty into account.
  • i30cw

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
you could ring a Hyundai dealer near you and suss out the good and bad of the lack of service history.  :idea:  its lack of frequent servicing should only void the engines warranty,but the engine is the heart of the vehicle,and the most expensive part to replace.  :scared:  where abouts in oz are you?  :undecided:

Offline malamute

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
I am from Canberra. Only two Hyundai dealers here. I might give them a ring and see what they say.
  • i30cw

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Low kms for that age is good for the suspension and drive train, but not good for the engine. It may have had many cold / dry starts over very short distances which is not good for any motor. Carbon build up in the cylinder head around the valves is possible and as the oil never gets to operating temperature it may have a deal of water in it too. You'd want to get it for a really good price. I'd forget the warranty, as if a significant issue arises, you can bet Hy will wriggle out of it as the car clearly, intentionally has not been serviced properly. I don't think any agency or advocate would back you on this if it came to a fight.

As it is not warranty covered, if you do purchase the car, the first thing would be a booklet service by any reputable service agent and especially a new oil filter and oil change with the best oil you can afford. Followed by a nice drive, to flex the engine and clear out some of the carbon.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I would be contacting the university because it may have actually had its services but without them being recorded. That would be my first step.
The second step would be to contact a Hyundai dealership and ask them whether it is possible to bring the servicing up-to-date and keep the warranty and if so, find out how much that would cost.
I would be surprised if the car has never been serviced and you may find it is just poor record-keeping. It may even be on the Hyundai computer if it was done at a Hyundai dealership but the books weren't provided at service for updating.
Otherwise, it might have been done elsewhere in which case there would be records.
Worth a try.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
if it's cheap enough,great advice from everyone else,get it cheap do a full by the book service if you get two years out of it without a problem all well and good,if you do happen to have to replace a major component like the motor,plenty of good quality second hand petrol motors out there now for the right price,but like i say you have to get it for the right price.from everyone I know with a I30 petrol or deisel I doubt very much you'd have any issues
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I doubt they would have serviced it, they would say that the book says 15000k and not have read the fine print.

That said, the car may be a 2010 plate purchased in 2011 (or later) so it may not actually be that much behind. The good wife's diesel is a 06/11 build purchased in 12/12 so they can sit around for a while.

I would inspect the vehicle and attempt to work out when it was bought, this may assist you in making a decision.

Second hand petrol engines are available very cheaply (check ebay) as an example http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HYUNDAI-I30-ENGINE-2-0-G4GC-  So in the unlikely event of a engine failure there not that expensive to replace.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal