Lofty UK · 65 · 21557

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Just to help you.

I only travel 7 miles to work and 5 home.

My consumption is between 48 mpg during the cold days to 56 mpg during the warmer days.

So say average of 51 mpg.

Just before you ask.  The journey to work I use Motorway which goes in an arc whereas going home I use the A roads which travels in a straight line.  The reason I use the motorway is for convenience in the morning because my trip takes me past several schools and you get caught up in the the school run 4x4's, say no more.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Just before you ask.  The journey to work I use Motorway which goes in an arc whereas going home I use the A roads which travels in a straight line.  The reason I use the motorway is for convenience in the morning because my trip takes me past several schools and you get caught up in the the school run 4x4's, say no more.

So you couldn't really refer to that as a round trip to work and home (more of a half round trip... :lol:)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

So you couldn't really refer to that as a round trip to work and home (more of a half round trip... :lol:)

Nice one Daz

PS some days I go the other way around the arc so can we now say a full round trip and a poke thro' the middle :lol:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Xamaxy
First and easiest thing you can try is to remove your rock solid opinion about being economical driver. Please take no offense. In that way you can be open for few perhaps new suggestions about economical driving that you didnt know.
I'm sure you realize that stated figures by Hyundai and any other motor company are made in apsurd conditions! ->for example: for my i30 which is 2.0l 140hp is stated only 4.4l on highway, i got 4,5l by driving 53mph in 6th, totally insane and bad for engine.
When driving 70mph as you said it raises straight to 5,5l, 90mph=6.6l etc etc

There is like thousand things that influence combined driving, for example braking, use brake often and you will 100000% get worse economy, shift it even at 2500 revs you'll get worse economy, constant stop and go=bad economy, like said before me low average speed mean worse economy (too many stops and traffic jamms) and not even 60miles of highway wont save you because thats only like 0.5 or 1l saved in total-one can sneeze that much:D.

Kia Ceed has the same engine, and a buddy of mine is getting 7,4l in city driving and he's going nuts! From factory figures 7,4 is like science fiction to achieve, but, he made it. Not the cars fault, its him, and also he is like 1000000 times better driver then me he says, and i'm getting with 2.0 only 6,2l in city.

One again pls dont think i'm trying to troll or insult you, just pointing out that like in everything overconfidence is bad thing  :rolleyes:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Last time I visitied the Richmond and wimbledon areas the traffic levels were pretty high and it was difficult to maintain a decent average speed. Lots of stopping for traffic. That's zero mpg for lots of the time, it's bound to drag the average down for sure.  I guess this is where ISG comes in.

Offline aussie pete

• 1st Gear
Hi Lofty,

I've had a similar experience with my similar vintage i30. Similar response from Hyundai (Aus) too about drivinging and testing too.

The good news it mine has just begun acheiving the claimed economy with 35,000km (approx 22,000 milesish). Perhaps if you put on a few more thousand miles yours will do the same. Maybe that batch of engines were particularly tight.

Things I have noticed that contribute to the average consumption -  Short trips when car is cold will massacre any sort of economy - It takes about 5 miles for the car to warm up.

Use of the A/C will also bump the consumption up by about 15% - but that is so worth it on the 30 degree+ hot days that we get in Sydney.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Using the a/c when driving on the highway or for that matter around town hardly effects my economy.. It might be a different story if the outside temp is over 30c and traffic is stop start or the area has steep hills...

Offline poorpigi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
I  have an auto and just filled up my fourth tank with 2100 ks on the clock and I get a reading of 7.4l per 100Ks.  I got 750k 1st tank, 700 the 2nd and 650 the 3rd and now it readout says that I will get 600 for the 4th.  Air is on all the time and most of the driving have been highway at 100 with about a 1/4 city driving.  I don't pussyfoot but am not an agressive driver either.

Was hopeing it would be better than this by and can't understand why I keep geting less mileage but the readout keeps saying 7.4lp100

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

and can't understand why I keep geting less mileage but the readout keeps saying 7.4lp100

The more kilometres you do without resetting the readout the more it takes to change the figure...

Try and fill it to the brim and then Hold the trip button until the mileage re-sets also do the same with the trip meter. See how far you go until the the distance to empty goes to -- (roughly 50 km left)

Be interesting what the lp100 will read after a few hundred kilometres after being reset...

Cheers,

Dazz

lindlake
I  have an auto and just filled up my fourth tank with 2100 ks on the clock and I get a reading of 7.4l per 100Ks.  I got 750k 1st tank, 700 the 2nd and 650 the 3rd and now it readout says that I will get 600 for the 4th.  Air is on all the time and most of the driving have been highway at 100 with about a 1/4 city driving.  I don't pussyfoot but am not an agressive driver either.

Was hopeing it would be better than this by and can't understand why I keep geting less mileage but the readout keeps saying 7.4lp100

it took my auto diesel 10000 km before i got 1000km to the tank i do not go slow i have 30000 km now and still get the same 6.2 l per 100 km

Offline Lofty UK

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Sussex
I always achieved the quoted mpg from previous cars - Renault Laguna 1.9dci; Vauxhall Astra diesel company car etc.
Therefore it is not me it is the i30 that is at fault.
Head office tech came down to test run it but said it is within their acceptable range. 25% below data figs I consider totally unacceptable.
 :rolleyes: :mad:

Offline Lofty UK

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Sussex
Thanks Pete
Dream on then! First garage tell you wait til 6k miles, now you say it is 22k - well I've done 17.5k so not long to go.
Hy HQ did send tech down and he took it out for 120 miles.
Verdict? 'within the acceptable range!
25% below quoted data I believe is totally unacceptable and I have told them so.
Watch this space.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Not good m8 .. have you tried swapping to a different brand of fuel and/or oil as well ...

So recent feedback over here suggests that can make quite a difference in some cases..

Offline Lofty UK

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Sussex
My Service Manager told me that the spec of i30 in Oz is different to UK - wonder why - weather?
I buy various brands of diesel, nothing seems to make any difference.
Also tried V-power and no significant improvement and it costs a lot more so defeats the object anyway.
Annual service due in July so will mention your suggestion re oil but no doubt they will have their own ideas.

Thinking back to my petrol Vauxhall Vectra too, i got 38mpg in that which was good for a big car and currently on 44mpg diesel from medium hatch i30 which is appalling.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
My economy has very nearly doubled since moving from a 2.0Sri Vectra 130

On a 200 mile run earlier the week the car averaged 72Mpg. This was a non-stop motorway and A road journey at an average of about 60mph. Tesco diesel, no additives.

This was without conciously taking tows or trying to hypermile.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Just a thought Lofty ..

If only you could catch up with one of our other UK members with similar specs and have a day out together covering say 100miles together nose to tail (after zeroing your trip computer)

Anyone up for it .. the way I see it that would be the best way to get a true comparison with another i30...

I would be happy to do it if you were over here (a picnic lunch or a BBQ etc.. :idea:)

Offline i30sean

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hemel Hempstead UK
I'm still very pleased with my i30 getting 50mpg over a tank full that includes short trips around town and few longer trips on motorway, infact my wife's started wanting to use my i30 as it's even better then her 1.6 Astra  :eek:

i30Sean

PS I still have to fill it up though!

Offline Weston Coyney

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Staffordshire
Hi Lofty. Just logging-in to give you some moral support (must be tedious with everyone knocking your driving style!) and to say that you are not the only one a bit disappointed with the fuel consumption.
 My 1.6 CRDi refuses to give more than 46mpg (checked brim-to-brim; computer suggests 43) at 9000 miles. Okay, so it's an Auto rather than the six-speed, but I don't do city work nowadays, just main roads and motorways at sensible speeds. Under these conditions the transmission is in mechanical lock-up 95% of the time so it really should not be sapping much extra fuel. Probably 46mpg would seem good to many people but I've owned French diesels for over 20 years and always found them capable of delivering very high figures.
Here are a few thoughts to consider.
1. All the diesels in my own experience have continued to improve in terms of performance/economy over quite considerable mileages.
2. Autocar magazine had a Kia Ceed 1.6 CRDi (same engine as ours) on long-term test a while back. It was 3-door, 6-speed manual, but could only manage 43.5mpg, a long way off the 'official' figure (but obviously quite a new car).
3. The i30 engine does seem remarkably eager and responsive and this leads me to suspect that the fuel mapping is possibly not set up with ultimate economy in mind. This might not be a big problem in other markets but, of course, here in the UK we still have the world's most expensive fuel!

Offline Lofty UK

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Sussex
Many thanks, yes I know I am not alone in getting below average mpg and it is definitely not my driving.
By the way, mine is a 1.6crdi so it only has 5 gears, not sure how the 2.0crdi with 6 gears compares but seems the range of good to bad is wide!
I've now done 17,500 miles but so far its not got any better.

Offline i30sean

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hemel Hempstead UK
Hi Lofty, mines a 1.6crdi as well but a 6 speed i think that extra gear does make a big difference on longer runs. This is my first ever diesel and I have adjusted my driving style to a petrol car, I change gear much earlier and have found that mpg improves over time, funnily when my wife drives the car she drives it like her petrol Astra reving it a bit more and I notice immediatly the mpg drops but of course can't tell her that LOL.

i30Sean

Offline rushandy

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester
Some unscientific feedback from me lofty...

At the moment I'm getting about 47mpg combined in a 1.6CRDI 6 speed (2010 model). I currently have about 1500 miles on clock.

I'm not the lightest footed driver, but I don't drive too aggressivley either. Just a normal driver really. I probably do about 50 / 50 motorway / town driving.

I think if I focused on driving as economically as possible I could probably keep it above the 50 mpg mark, but it would be a struggle and would take me a while to get anywhere if on the motorway, as I find between 50 - 60mph in 6th gives best economy, whereas I like to cruise between 70 - 80 conditions permitting.

I too am hoping figures will improve given time, but I'm still saving tons of money as my last car was a 14yr old BMW 520 which gave me about 25mpg... so although the figures aren't (yet) close to manufacturers claimed, I still feel better off.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^-- you wait until your clock rolls over 15,000 miles. That's when Fergie started to breathe properly and changed from good to great :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lofty UK

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Sussex
Hiya, thanks, but mine has already done 17,500 miles :exclaim:
When I bought mine, only the 2.0crdi had six gears. The 1.6 only 5 gears.
VW Golf does have 6 and the 1.9 diesel does over 60 - closer to 70+ mpg if my friend's one is anything to go by.

Doesn't have the extras that the i30 Premium has though.

I am driving like a Granny and coasting around and keeping revs down to see if I can get it to creep up but max is still 48 mpg combined even including some longer journeys

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Many thanks, yes I know I am not alone in getting below average mpg and it is definitely not my driving.

I can't remember if it's been mentioned previously in this thread, but have you considered "resetting" the ECU. By disconnecting the -ve lead from the battery and waiting 30 mins or so before reconnecting, it's been said that the ECU will re-learn your driving style, adjusting and fixing parameters according to your demands.

Done it myself a few times; have to retune the radio and reset a few audio options, plus the ESP OFF light will stay illuminated when the car is first started, but surely worth a try?

Offline Lofty UK

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Sussex
Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not up to playing about with it and will leave any adjustments to the dealership on next service. Will see what they say - is this likely to improve the mpg then?  :rolleyes:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
It only takes 2 minutes to do, plus half an hour waiting, so no real biggy.

I ran with a tuningbox fitted for quite some time but decided to remove it once my throttle pickup in 1st & 2nd had improved over time (I fitted the tuningbox to provide greater low-end boost). Following removal I didn't reset the ECU (as above) and my consumption dropped considerably from around the 62mpg. I ran for a couple of months enduring 52mpg (best) until I remembered the ECU "trick". I'm now back around the 60mpg mark and still improving.

I know you've had yours a while now (Oct 2008?) but can you remember how many miles were on the clock when you picked it up, and do you remember driving like a pussy for the first thousand miles or so? It's a fair possibility that your current ECU pattern is not best geared to providing you with the economy you're looking for. All I'm saying is... resetting it is as simple as disconnecting the battery -ve lead for a bit, allowing the charge within the module to deplete, giving you another go at making it relearn your best moves, so to speak :)

Offline tebstersi30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK

• Walsall, UK - Premium 1.6CRD - Vivid Blue
My i30 1.6 crdi 6 speed is relatively new and only just covered 1500 miles, I have only used it on long trips so far to our caravan in wales and at best have achieved 47mpg, worst been 43mpg, this was doing 70 mph on motorway and 60 araound the country lanes, and literally tickling the accelerator, this was calculated via brimming the tank method.
I too do find it a bit disappointing as my focus 1.6 tdci would achieve on the same trip an average of 54.6 mpg !
I am hoping that this is down to a tight engine and hope that it will improve with more miles on it, so lofty uk your not on your own !

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My i30 1.6 crdi 6 speed is relatively new and only just covered 1500 miles, I have only used it on long trips so far to our caravan in wales and at best have achieved 47mpg, worst been 43mpg, this was doing 70 mph on motorway and 60 araound the country lanes, and literally tickling the accelerator, this was calculated via brimming the tank method.
I too do find it a bit disappointing as my focus 1.6 tdci would achieve on the same trip an average of 54.6 mpg !
I am hoping that this is down to a tight engine and hope that it will improve with more miles on it, so lofty uk your not on your own !

It is strange but a handful of our members are finding a significant improvement over time while most are getting pretty good economy from the start...I am reasonably happy with my economy having averaged around 5.4 LPH since new which is only around 44 MPG I think..but Tasmania is very hilly and I just drive normally with lots of 7 -10 kilometre trips during the week...

Have barely (if ever) seen the 4.7 LPH ADR figure used in advertising...even on long trips  :'(

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Fiery Red 2019 Premium!
    • Mutley Productions
Try and fill it to the brim and then Hold the trip button until the mileage re-sets also do the same with the trip meter. See how far you go until the the distance to empty goes to -- (roughly 50 km left)

You can get 100km after it goes to --- :wink:
Don't go any more though or you'll run out! lol

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
*shudders at the thought of running out of diesel*

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal