i30 Owners Club

12 month service

John B · 9 · 2679

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Daughter took her GD i30 petrol car in for it's 12month service today having only done 8000km. She just got a phone call from the dealer telling her she needs new wiper blades at a cost of $33 so she phoned me for advice , I asked if she had any trouble with them last week in the torrential rain we had and she said " not a problem " so I said " forget it " I reckon if the wiper blades that come fitted on a brand new car are wearing out within 12 months with only 8000km  they must be pretty poor quality. The wipers are always switched off from auto at journeys end  so they are not rubbing on a dry window screen when the car is started . I have never had to replace blades in such a short time in all the years I have had cars. End of whinge. :D

( Edit ) Have just done a bit of reading on the subject and they recommend changing the refills once a year come rain or shine ,so I will do as Dazz suggested and inspect the wipers on the daughters car when I next see her. :goodjob2:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 04:07:30 by John B »
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
If you inspect them next time you see her you should be able to tell. I think they are only about half that much from Supercheap for reasonable quality ones.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
This seems a fairly common little money earner for some dealers/mechanics....

I once detailed a friend's car for them and replaced the wiper blades as they were stuffed.
Imagine my surprise when they told me the following week, after having the car serviced that the dealer had also replaced them...

I know some on here would see things differently and argue that it's no big deal but at the end of the day if the wipers aren't in need of replacing, it's theft, pure and simple.  :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I totally agree Rusty...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
If required to be replaced after 12 months then surely it should be detailed in the service schedule and not as an add on....
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Found out they also wanted to replace the rear wiper blade as well , all up cost for front and rear blades  $58.  I had a look at them when the daughter got home , nothing wrong with them. :evil:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
My car is coming up to it's 5th birthday and I'm still running the original wiper on the rear....  :undecided:

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Mr's i-30 is over 2-years, still on the original wiper blades.
Some services they're noted as having been inspected.
Fixed price servicing though.
The rear probably should be replaced, it's often left running too long on a dry screen accidentally.
  • i-30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The critical test is how clear your vision is on a wet night with oncoming traffic.
In daytime, the issue is much less obvious.
It's not just Hyundai though. I reported on here the same issue with my wife's Corolla.  At the local Toyota dealer.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal