i30 Owners Club

i30 UK leak from cowl top to passenger side carpets after heavy rain

Offline StewartJP

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Please select...
Hi,

UK 2018 i30 base model.

Due to heavy rainfall recently in uk, the passenger footwell and rear passenger footwell were wet through, with insulation sponges under carpet very wet as well. Checked all seals, everything seems okay.

Finally found (what we think is) the source of the problem. After removing wipers and taking off the cowl top, we could see mess blocking the drainage grates. On top of that, the passenger side air intake doesn't have any cover? The drivers side has a red cover bolted on, whereas the passenger's is exposed with holes for a cover but nothing attached. Through this hole leads directly to the top of the cabin air filter (above passenger footwell).

Doe anybody know if there should be a cover there, and if so where i could get one to stop it leaking again in heavy rain?

Thanks,
Stewart

• 2018 base model i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi StewartJP and  :welcum:

There certainly should be a cover there (the retaining holes kind of confirm that).

Grab a coffee and visit https://partsouq.com and drill into the engine bay section. If you can enter your VIN at the start it would be even easier. Have a ganders at the diagrams/pictograms and see if you get the part number of the missing cover. Then it's over to monsieur Google (or a wreckers).
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline StewartJP

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Please select...
Thanks for the reply Shambles. I took a look through, and eventually found the piece called "PANEL COMPLETE - DASH" (image attached). However, in there it looks as though it's all one piece, and it also has the holes mentioned. (https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genuine/unit?c=HYUNDAI&ssd=%24%2AKwFLZkdeDR0NKBgUDCsSbmkkBjEfDy5NHlRWcgJaHFxDWj0yAgIQClpFXDdaAgN1QFsNLk0dDQA_BgJdEENaSU5PTE9MEQxPBy4aFi9KHAlYbklbG11EWzA6KHJ-dU1JSFxVWhpfGgx6IC0xOjgxXVECQxBDWjhKKk40T2cfBVtUXQ1bQl07AgIQD1pFXC01PjUSGwNINDU0SU1NTBIZEAQGID4jLAdEak9dCFVLGVgGICJgGApLSQEhCQsLPXZrejA7MzswPDozdH1mKzExOQcnDw5WbmY0OTdMTElOMWpkAkxKTkxOBhYQR3tAFS5NPhoZC1Joa2crKDhKSE9QSxAYBklJTgAAAAAa8592%24&vid=140887395&cid=2035251584&uid=981383439&q=TMAH2511LJJ052127)

I also tried looking for the part number mentioned on Google and various Hyundai parts websites and it turned up nothing.

What I wondered is whether the metal part with the holes is actually the same for RHD or LHD vehicles, allowing to attach the dash itself if it's LHD (since mine is RHD). Could that be possible?

I've also tried looking for pictures or video of the inside of this part of an i30 (under the cowl top cover), to compare but have yet found anything useful.

Thanks,
Stewart
  • 2018 base model i30

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Im not sure that does have a cover.  Its the scuttle drains being blocked that causes the issue.

Offline StewartJP

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Please select...
Okay so update. Turns out it's not from the front at all! Unfortunately, this was found out due to the recent storm bringing more water into the car.

The front is drier than the back, and the air filter is bone dry so it's not coming in there.

It appears there's a leak into the rim of the spare wheel compartment, and when the car is leaning left on a cambered road (as it is outside my house), water can seep over this ridge down past the rear passenger seat and into the carpets at the front. Whereas ordinarily it would drain into the spare wheel compartment and then through to the floor.

Why there's water getting into there I do not yet know, that's a job for tomorrow / the weekend!

It appears to be entering from below where the small black clip is (possibly for baby seats?) Just behind the rear passenger seat. Also the fabric trim there is soaked.
  • 2018 base model i30

Offline PGN I30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
As far as I'm aware water does not run into the spare wheel, it should be dry at all times, I think you'll find the leak will be from a panel seam higher up or the fuel filler surround and lock, just my opinion, good luck with it, 👍

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal