3rd Service - What a Shocker

trev012 · 92 · 30237

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
but the thread doesn't actually state you DO NEED a piston wind back tool it only shows you how too use one.  :winker:  Asterix has answered our question about  needing one,or should i say NOT needing one.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

As there's no handbrake mechanism build into the rear callipers like in many other cars, i think this is the reason for not needing to turn/wind the piston back on the i30.

You never need to wind it back in a front brake calliper.

I allways use a polygrip to press back the pistons.

What is a polygrip? - over here it is a fixative to hold false teeth in position :Dunno:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I used a G clamp when I did the brakes on my bike and old Barina...

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Trev....Hang in there and stand firm....     :goodjob2:   something isn't right.... I think you will find that Hy will comne to some arrngement... if you persist....

Will follow with interest...

We have 84 K on ours and never has there been any mention of brakes or wear etc in any service ( all by independent garages, not dealers)

Cheers
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Asterisk, you could be right about the rear calipers sticking under those (light braking) circumstances. But less of an issue over here where they don't need to put anything on the roads to dissolve the snow. And your point could well be relevant as I seem to have forgotten that Trev (not me) is in Scotland.

Phil, you beat me to it regarding the overflow from the master cylinder. Good point.
At the end of the day though, the brakes should be bled after replacing pads and opening the bleed screw when pushing back the caliper is just the first part of getting rid of the fluid which has been nearest the heat of the brakes for the last couple of years.
You should flush the system as per the owners' handbook guidelines. And if you think the sytem is sealed so shouldn't be contaminated, poke your finger into a the reservoir and wipe it along the bottom of the bowl. In almost all cars with  a few tens of thousands of klms on them and no fluid flush, you'll come up with a scarily dirty finger. So the reservoir needs to be cleaned BEFORE you flush the system or you'll end up with gunk lodged in the seals of the calipers.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Hi Everyone,

Friday came and went and I never received any phone call from my Hy dealer  :disapp:. I guess they were either too busy or thought I might just forget all about it :D Well, not a chance. I'll be on the phone to them 1st thing on Monday morning.

I appreciate all the posts and comments from everyone on here and I am going to persue it with Hy [UK] even if my dealer is unable to as I firmly believe there must be something wrong. I'm pushing for the fix under warranty.

I don't wish to be ungrateful here but am totally at a loss when all you DIY experts talk about pistons and what tools to use. I find it very interesting and wish I had both your confidence and expertise to carry out the job myself but sadly it's a dealer job for me.

Keep up the good work and I'll post back when I hear from Hy.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Hi Everyone,

Friday came and went and I never received any phone call from my Hy dealer  :disapp:. I guess they were either too busy or thought I might just forget all about it :D Well, not a chance. I'll be on the phone to them 1st thing on Monday morning.

I appreciate all the posts and comments from everyone on here and I am going to persue it with Hy [UK] even if my dealer is unable to as I firmly believe there must be something wrong. I'm pushing for the fix under warranty.

I don't wish to be ungrateful here but am totally at a loss when all you DIY experts talk about pistons and what tools to use. I find it very interesting and wish I had both your confidence and expertise to carry out the job myself but sadly it's a dealer job for me.

I relate totally.
I'm a non-DIY type person too.  :goodjob:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Hi Everyone,

Always remember we are here to help if possible. Don't worry about not being mechanically minded. I'll bet you have talents that I don't posses.
Do you have a friend with mechanical knowledge who could assist you, as I find that talking with the service department and discussing problems at an equal level of understanding stops them from telling "trash" and hoping you will accept it. The people I deal with know better than to do that with me, as I've asked questions that even they can't answer. Glad to hear you're not going to give in easily, good luck.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Hi Everyone,

I relate totally.
I'm a non-DIY type person too.  :goodjob:

Dave you have to be pulling our legs surely,all those cars and not DYI.

Trev don't sweat it not being DYI,as others have said we are here to try and assist in any way we can,there many things I can't do either where I need a lot of help from others,computers for a start.

If you don't get statisfaction by going to either the dealer or HY UK,do you have a consumer onsbudsman,or consumer affairs over that way,informing non co-operative suppliers with these PPL over here tends to work a treat when all else fails
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

No, actually, I'm really not.
If something needs doing above cleaning & detailing or something really simple, it gets out-sourced by me.  :)
Having said that, I'm quite good at diagnosing problems and knowing what is wrong with a car, just not at fixing it.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Rick
...all those cars and not DYI.

If that means "Do Yourself In" then yes, he does that :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
If something needs doing above cleaning & detailing or something really simple, it gets out-sourced by me.  :)
Having said that, I'm quite good at diagnosing problems and knowing what is wrong with a car, just not at fixing it.

Dave Your 60% the way there diagnosing the problem is the hard part,I have come across many many PPL who tend to guess,the rest is knowing how to swing the spanner,being methodical,logical and thourough,mind you I hate doing transmission work,still haven't fixed the ol wagon yet.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Dave Your 60% the way there diagnosing the problem is the hard part,I have come across many many PPL who tend to guess,the rest is knowing how to swing the spanner,being methodical,logical and thourough,mind you I hate doing transmission work,still haven't fixed the ol wagon yet.

Some people are hands on, some people aren't.
I'm not.
But having driven cars of all types, including high performance cars, for as many years as I care to remember, I do generally have a pretty good idea what noises are and what is wrong with a car.
But that doesn't mean I'm competent to fix it. I know my limitations.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Pip
Some people are hands on, some people aren't.
I always work on the idea that if I don't understand something I learn it by reading up on it but if it has bolts or screws on it I just pull it apart.

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
"Always remember we are here to help if possible. Don't worry about not being mechanically minded. I'll bet you have talents that I don't posses."

Well, I'm pretty good at putting the cat out at 1 in the morning when it's snowing and going back to bed with a clear conscience :lol: :lol:

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
"I always work on the idea that if I don't understand something I learn it by reading up on it but if it has bolts or screws on it I just pull it apart."

Maybe Pip........... But it's brakes we're talking about here. Not too sure if the wife's life insurance is up to date  :whistler:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

What is a polygrip? - over here it is a fixative to hold false teeth in position :Dunno:

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Everyone,

Hi Trev

Correct me if wrong, but isn't this the dealer who told you that "dust from the discbrakes caused the excess wear"

If so, I would never trust them again. As Trev (Surferdude) said, that's a load of bullsh1t.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Hi Asterix,

"Correct me if wrong, but isn't this the dealer who told you that "dust from the discbrakes caused the excess wear"

Yep - Thats my main franchised Hyundai dealer that I bought the car from and had serviced by them for the past 3 years. Doesn't really inspire confidence, does it ????

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Hi Asterix,

"Correct me if wrong, but isn't this the dealer who told you that "dust from the discbrakes caused the excess wear"

Yep - Thats my main franchised Hyundai dealer that I bought the car from and had serviced by them for the past 3 years. Doesn't really inspire confidence, does it ????

Trev012
Tip:
Rather than type/copy/past then highlight in red use the quote button just to the top right of the post you wish o quote.

You can also edit it if you wish
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

They're "multigrips".

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
I've always called them plumber's pliers. I have a pair in my toolbox and I mainly use them for plumbing. :)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

They're "multigrips".

Multi/poly... isn't it the same.. :question:

From  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/poly-

poly-

comb. form meaning "many, much," from Gk
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I've always called them plumber's pliers. I have a pair in my toolbox and I mainly use them for plumbing. :)

This is what we call a plumbers plier:

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

They're "multigrips".

Multi/poly... isn't it the same.. :question:

From  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/poly-

poly-

comb. form meaning "many, much," from Gk
Agreed. It's just that in Oz, they seem to have always been called "multigrips"  At least by people I've known over the years.
To me "poly" relates to a type of plastic. Just another example of useage in different parts of the world.  :goodjob2:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
"Poly", over here, is a common name for a parrot :P

(or someone who puts kettles on)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
"Poly", over here, is a common name for a parrot :P

(or someone who puts kettles on)
So, you have plastic birds?  :disapp:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Just as well we're not all working in the same garage, imagine, "Can someone hand me the poly, multigrips, plumbers pliers, please."  :rofl:

BTW they're multigrips to me.  :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Then you have "Vise" grips.

And "shifting spanners"

With one of each there's no need for a range of different sized spanners. :whistler:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal