i30 Owners Club

Replacing number plate light fixtures on 2009 i30cw

Offline Fi30cw2009

• 2nd Gear

• fi Finland
      Espoo
So the number plate lights on my car are in a bad state. The previous owner seems to have screwed them in too tight (or perhaps water has gotten in and frozen), and the result is that the plastic panel material has started to break. One of them has fallen away completely, and the metal retention clip for the bulb has rusted through and broken away (see this photo of the broken one and compare with this photo of the other one - you can see that one screw has already disconnected from the panel and it's also about to fall out).

I'm thinking of just replacing them altogether. The problem is, you can't just buy the panels (I suppose you could find some clear acrylic and cut it to size) but I've found the modules on eBay. I find OEM parts for for 45 euros (08-12 i30cw) and other makes and models for about half that (2013+ i30cw or 2013+ i40cw).

My question is, does anybody know any better places to source these, or have any better ideas about fixing them? Money is quite tight right now (and this car is starting to cost me a fortune in various other repairs), so I'd rather not drop 45 euros if there's a cheaper option.
  • i30cw 2009

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'd try a wrecker's yard!  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal