i30 Owners Club

Car for servicing

Raid · 76 · 16433

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Taking my car for 2 years service and its costing me £270 from hy. So just wondering what job are they going to do on the car and what are they going to change as part of the service and would that be part of the £270 or would I have to pay additional?

Do you guys think it's worthy taking it to hy for the servicing or a private garage and is it best to buy the parts and oil for them to do the service or just pay they money and let them do everything plz.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 08:17:49 by Raid »
  • I30 active 1.4 petrol 2013

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Buy parts & oil.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Thanks Phil as it is my first time going to do the service any recommendation for the parts I will have to buy for my first service if you don't mind plz.

Thanks

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Just been on the phone to the service department and I have been told by the guy that I can't buy the parts for the service because it will avoid the warranty and if I want to buy the parts that's fine they still carry the service but warranty will be avoided I asked him what about if I buy the recommended oil and bring it to you and he said that can't be done they will have to use their own oil?

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
That doesn't sound right.  Somebody from the UK may be able to help, but in Australia you can supply your own consumables (as long as they meet the manufacturers specifications) and not void your warranty.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
I told him even if I buy everything that is recommended for the service and he says he can't do it unless I buy it from them then that should be ok. Don't know what to do

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Try somewhere else?  I would.  Tell them that you will supply your own consumables that are recommended by Hyundai, or you will go somewhere else.

Or report them to Hyundai.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Sounds like they're scamming you to me, did you ask what oil they use?

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
I told him that the oil that is recommended in the book is shell helix and if I buy that oil will u do it he says that he won't put that oil in he will use his own n and asked him what oil is that he says helix and told him thats what I'm going to buy he says he can't use it. Very confused lol

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Take a Panadol and relax.  :)
You are perfectly entitled to supply your own oil (in Australia, at least).
But if he is telling you that, I wouldn't trust him to use the oil you supply.
I'd find somewhere else, if it was me.
I've been supplying my own oil for the past 277,000 kms over two diesel i30s.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Take a Panadol and relax.  :)
You are perfectly entitled to supply your own oil (in Australia, at least).
But if he is telling you that, I wouldn't trust him to use the oil you supply.
I'd find somewhere else, if it was me.
I've been supplying my own oil for the past 277,000 kms over two diesel i30s.
Will call another dealer and just wanted to know I don't have to take my car for service at the same dealer I bought it from I can't go to another Hyundai dealer can't I?

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'd also ask to speak to their service manager and mention that you'll report what has been said to Hyundai UK, I'm sure that they have to let you supply your own oil ( if in spec ) and they're also obligated to deduct the price of their oil from the service cost.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I'd also ask to speak to their service manager and mention that you'll report what has been said to Hyundai UK, I'm sure that they have to let you supply your own oil ( if in spec ) and they're also obligated to deduct the price of their oil from the service cost.

Totally  :whsaid:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Will do that craigB

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
In Australia I book the car in for service and get a cost for the service up front. Then I ask for a price with me supplying all filters and oil. The service price comes down considerably. Also in Australia, it is permissible to use non oem filters provided they are up to Hy spec and you are automatically covered by the filter manufacturer's warranty. I prefer however, to spend a little extra and supply the original parts usually from eBay or similar to avoid arguments should a problem occur.

The rubbish you are being fed by the dealer is just that, rubbish. Report them and you are quite welcome to select another Hy dealer to service your car.

Use your service schedule to find out what parts are replaced at your mileage.

At the very least, they are treating you very disrespectfully and do not deserve your business IMO.

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
In Australia I book the car in for service and get a cost for the service up front. Then I ask for a price with me supplying all filters and oil. The service price comes down considerably. Also in Australia, it is permissible to use non oem filters provided they are up to Hy spec and you are automatically covered by the filter manufacturer's warranty. I prefer however, to spend a little extra and supply the original parts usually from eBay or similar to avoid arguments should a problem occur.

The rubbish you are being fed by the dealer is just that, rubbish. Report them and you are quite welcome to select another Hy dealer to service your car.

Use your service schedule to find out what parts are replaced at your mileage.

At the very least, they are treating you very disrespectfully and do not deserve your business IMO.
Thanks Phil I will defo look into that and try somewhere else thanks a lot and the customer service here in UK I think is the worst one.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Raid before you continue here is a detail of the 2nd year service i had on my car.

As i had paid for 3 year  service plan when 7  bought my car i can not tell you the cost but what you have been quoted is in the ball park for your location.  But try a dealer a bit away and see if their cost are better.

Probably 2 hour job, if that!

Ok here we go.....

Replaced

Engine oil
Engine filter
Brake fluid
Air con or climate filter

All rest is either inspect or check
I.e
Air filter
Battery condition
Belts
Air con system
Pipes and hoses
Brake pads and discs
Etc
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Raid before you continue here is a detail of the 2nd year service i had on my car.

As i had paid for 3 year  service plan when 7  bought my car i can not tell you the cost but what you have been quoted is in the ball park for your location.  But try a dealer a bit away and see if their cost are better.

Probably 2 hour job, if that!

Ok here we go.....

Replaced

Engine oil
Engine filter
Brake fluid
Air con or climate filter

All rest is either inspect or check
I.e
Air filter
Battery condition
Belts
Air con system
Pipes and hoses
Brake pads and discs
Etc
Thanks mate will try that n I think people whose in Australia r very lucky to b able to provide  oil and parts and reduce the whole price as I have just called another dealer he says that for the service u can't provide oil nor parts because everything have to be bought from them

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
One last thing I wanted to know plz do I have to flush the engine of my first service for my car before draining the oil or that is not needed anymore?  Because I called one place before he said he will flush the engine before draining the oil.
 I called another place and asked him if he will flush the engine before draining the oil he said that is not needed anymore so don't know which one to believe.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
It is not necessary to flush the engine if is being serviced at the correct frequency.

It is clear that dealers make a margin on parts and consumables and by you providing them they get less revenue. I believe that each dealer sets their own price for a service - it is not regulated by Hyundai. I would not be in the least surprised for them to charge a higher price than just the labour if you supply your own stuff to recover lost margin. Hence overall - you may not finish any better off.

One of my friends has had exactly the same experience with his main dealer (Mazda) refusing to use customer supplied parts and oil. I must admit that I have never bothered myself - perhaps because I don't know whether the car might need more oil than a standard sized container and you then have to buy two. Also - can you be absolutely sure they use the oil you provide rather than their own bulk supply which may well be the required spec but not be Helix.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
It is not necessary to flush the engine if is being serviced at the correct frequency.

It is clear that dealers make a margin on parts and consumables and by you providing them they get less revenue. I believe that each dealer sets their own price for a service - it is not regulated by Hyundai. I would not be in the least surprised for them to charge a higher price than just the labour if you supply your own stuff to recover lost margin. Hence overall - you may not finish any better off.

One of my friends has had exactly the same experience with his main dealer (Mazda) refusing to use customer supplied parts and oil. I must admit that I have never bothered myself - perhaps because I don't know whether the car might need more oil than a standard sized container and you then have to buy two. Also - can you be absolutely sure they use the oil you provide rather than their own bulk supply which may well be the required spec but not be Helix.
Thanks Alan and thats my first 2 years service so that's the first time the car is going in for a service and I have been reading about it and don't think I need it either.
Thanks

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
One last thing I wanted to know plz do I have to flush the engine of my first service for my car before draining the oil or that is not needed anymore?  Because I called one place before he said he will flush the engine before draining the oil.
 I called another place and asked him if he will flush the engine before draining the oil he said that is not needed anymore so don't know which one to believe.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Dont do engine flush, regular oil changes are all you need. If your engine gets to the point of neglect that a flush would be required your already too far gone and should look at rebuilding the engine as you'll have to anyway after the flush.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Dont do engine flush, regular oil changes are all you need. If your engine gets to the point of neglect that a flush would be required your already too far gone and should look at rebuilding the engine as you'll have to anyway after the flush.
Thanks mate so now the problem is where I'm going to do my service I didn't ask if he is going to do engine flush and on the day of the service shall I tell him not to do it just to make sure he doesn't or you don't think he will do it unless I ask him to do it?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Raid.................If they supply and fit parts then if you have a warranty claim HY can not use the excuse the parts not conforming to Hy's requirements.

Personally I just let the dealer do it all then no issues should I have to submit warranty claim.

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Raid.................If they supply and fit parts then if you have a warranty claim HY can not use the excuse the parts not conforming to Hy's requirements.

Personally I just let the dealer do it all then no issues should I have to submit warranty claim.
Yep thinking of doing the same thing let them do whatever they have to do and just pay the money so that they won't have any excuses for any warranty

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
AFAIK engine flushing is performed with solvent type materials. For a new, young motor, that is like poison so do NOT do a flush. Cruiserfied is an outstanding HY technician, so take his advice  :exclaim: :exclaim:

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
AFAIK engine flushing is performed with solvent type materials. For a new, young motor, that is like poison so do NOT do a flush. Cruiserfied is an outstanding HY technician, so take his advice  :exclaim: :exclaim:
Thanks mate I will make sure to tell them not to do it thanks

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Thanks mate I will make sure to tell them not to do it thanks
See reply 21.

Confused as 1said would flush BEFORE they drain the oil.

I've done flush many many years ago, in fact the last century,.
 i drained oil but left filter on, then put in cheap oil of same grade along with flush stuff. 
Ran car for a while, can't recall how long. Drained again, replaced old filter them added new oil to correct level.

With the oils of today no need to flush and more than likely flush would harm internal parts.

Of course if any internal damage i would expect it not to be a warranty repair as hy don't put flush down in the service schedule, as far as i'm aware.

Would not be going to them because they appear not to know how to service cars if flush is part if the recommended service schedule

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal