i30 Owners Club

Car for servicing

Raid · 76 · 16432

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
AFAIK engine flushing is performed with solvent type materials. For a new, young motor, that is like poison so do NOT do a flush. Cruiserfied is an outstanding HY technician, so take his advice  :exclaim: :exclaim:
Thanks mate I will make sure to tell them not to do it thanks
See reply 21.

Confused as 1said would flush BEFORE they drain the oil.

I've done flush many many years ago, in fact the last century,.
 i drained oil but left filter on, then put in cheap oil of same grade along with flush stuff. 
Ran car for a while, can't recall how long. Drained again, replaced old filter them added new oil to correct level.

With the oils of today no need to flush and more than likely flush would harm internal parts.

Of course if any internal damage i would expect it not to be a warranty repair as hy don't put flush down in the service schedule, as far as i'm aware.

Would not be going to them because they appear not to know how to service cars if flush is part if the recommended service schedule
All the garage I'm calling is a hy dealer as I have decided to go to the main dealer for the service and I called 3 dealers one said I don't need flush another one said the price would be that but its recommended to do flush so it will be such and such and the last one I called said the price would be such but i didn't ask about the flush if it is included in that price or not as both dealer gave me the same price for the servicing 1 will include flush and last one didn't ask as I was doing something else at the same time so got distracted.
  • I30 active 1.4 petrol 2013

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
So will make sure that they don't flush the engine when I do the servicing with them.

Thanks guys

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Just been to the dealer for the oil top up and I asked them if they going to do an oil flush on my car next service which is due next month and they said they going to do an oil flush and a fuel flush and I know the oil flush isnt gd for your car but what about the fuel flush is that ok for them to do that plz?

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Did they not show you a royal flush - or wasn't it on the cards... :whistler:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Did they not show you a royal flush - or wasn't it on the cards... :whistler:
Am I saying something wrong here because I am under the impression that everything I say or ask and all I get is sarcasm. Am I not welcome on the forum or am I asking too much?
If I knew everything about the car I wouldn't even joined the forum.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
You have asked lots of questions and members have been patient with you and given you lots of good advice.

However - on the subject of an engine oil flush - several very experienced members advised you that it is neither necessary nor advisable. Hence, I have to question why the dealer wants to do it. Flushing oil is as thin as paraffin and is now usually used only in the most extreme circumstances. Modern synthetic oils keep the engine clean even though they look black after a few miles.  Leave too much flushing oil behind in the sump or engine galleries and it will dilute the engine oil with obvious consequences.

A fuel flush is another matter. However - how much of the system are they going to flush? In hot countries like Australia some diesels have problems with fuel contamination with bugs breeding in the tank and when it is really bad they have the whole system from the fuel tank onwards flushed before henceforth using anti bug additives when they refuel the car to prevent a reoccurrence. Your garage may mean that they are just going to change the fuel filter and blow the lines through - who knows. I'm sure other more experienced members than I will pop along and voice their opinions later. Some of them will of course still be in bed. .

Regarding sarcasm - you have been here long enough to know that this is not just a staid technical forum - but a lively and social one where humour is used as a lubricant. It flushes out peoples SOH and gives it a service.  It's a good job I'm not sensitive to sarcasm the shed load I get directed at me by the boys here.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
You have asked lots of questions and members have been patient with you and given you lots of good advice.

However - on the subject of an engine oil flush - several very experienced members advised you that it is neither necessary nor advisable. Hence, I have to question why the dealer wants to do it. Flushing oil is as thin as paraffin and is now usually used only in the most extreme circumstances. Modern synthetic oils keep the engine clean even though they look black after a few miles.  Leave too much flushing oil behind in the sump or engine galleries and it will dilute the engine oil with obvious consequences.

A fuel flush is another matter. However - how much of the system are they going to flush? In hot countries like Australia some diesels have problems with fuel contamination with bugs breeding in the tank and when it is really bad they have the whole system from the fuel tank onwards flushed before henceforth using anti bug additives when they refuel the car to prevent a reoccurrence. Your garage may mean that they are just going to change the fuel filter and blow the lines through - who knows. I'm sure other more experienced members than I will pop along and voice their opinions later. Some of them will of course still be in bed. .

Regarding sarcasm - you have been here long enough to know that this is not just a staid technical forum - but a lively and social one where humour is used as a lubricant. It flushes out peoples SOH and gives it a service.  It's a good job I'm not sensitive to sarcasm the shed load I get directed at me by the boys here.
I know I have asked loads of questions and you guys been very patient with me but like I said on my post I know about the oil flush isnt gd and told him not to do it but didn't know if its a gd idea for the fuel flush and I asked him properly he says he will flush the oil and the fuel aswell so hence my question.

Like I said if I knew all that I wouldn't even bother joined a group and like I mention before I have never had an almost new car before and that why all that questions and I'm planning on keeping the car for a long time.

But thanks for the explanation and thanks for being patient with me.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Never heard of doing a fuel flush at a uk service  unless you have miss fueled i,e. Usually petrol in a diesel.

Not detailed on the services schedule shambles has just posted.

Also, unless you are running on fumes when you take the car in just think if the fuel you will loose.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Nope always put fuel in n he explain that he will put something in the tank for the fuel then he said its a fuel n oil flush so don't know lol I think it's best if I say no to both

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Wonder if they are putting in an additive.

Again i don't see the need for additives in today's fuels.

Did use it once some 40 years ago but only because the garage gave it away foc

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Wonder if they are putting in an additive.

Again i don't see the need for additives in today's fuels.

Did use it once some 40 years ago but only because the garage gave it away foc
Thanks mate really appreciate all your help

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Alan is correct, both oil & fuel do NOT need to be flushed, unless you are having a problem with your fuel. Diesel bug is an organic airborne growth that can cause big problems inside your tank. It is easily treated by adding a bug killing additive to your tank. It appears that it is quite uncommon in your region, so maybe not necessary. It can be introduced by simply refilling at a bad servo which doesn't sell much Diesel, so always fill up where you see plenty of trucks, the Diesel will always be fresher there. The only thing getting flushed is your wallet, cancel both IMO.

As a youngster to the forum, take the sarcasm on the chin, it's character building. No one here is out to cause any insult. Try not to be too thin skinned, relax & have a laugh, life is too short.  :D
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Alan is correct, both oil & fuel do NOT need to be flushed, unless you are having a problem with your fuel. Diesel bug is an organic airborne growth that can cause big problems inside your tank. It is easily treated by adding a bug killing additive to your tank. It appears that it is quite uncommon in your region, so maybe not necessary. It can be introduced by simply refilling at a bad servo which doesn't sell much Diesel, so always fill up where you see plenty of trucks, the Diesel will always be fresher there. The only thing getting flushed is your wallet, cancel both IMO.

As a youngster to the forum, take the sarcasm on the chin, it's character building. No one here is out to cause any insult. Try not to be too thin skinned, relax & have a laugh, life is too short.  :D
Thanks Phil I'm used to that sarcasm but I just ask a question I didn't know about then get something I didn't expect anyway thanks a lot for all your help n yep I will cancel both as I don't need it thanks a lot really appreciate it

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I would check out the motor shops for some Diesel additive and put it in yourself. In a car that you haven't owned, it could be possible that there is some water in tour fuel tank. If you check what's available, you should find one that can deal with any water build up as this is what breeds Diesel bug. No water, no bug.

This is not available in your country, but for your info. I use this in our 2 Diesels.

:link: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I thought Raid's engine was petrol driven...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I followed Alan's lead, but it should say so in his description  :exclaim: why hasn't this been done  :disapp:

@Raid, if your engine is petrol, DON'T FILL IT WITH DIESEL

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
I followed Alan's lead, but it should say so in his description  :exclaim: why hasn't this been done  :disapp:

@Raid, if your engine is petrol, DON'T FILL IT WITH DIESEL
Haha I won't fill it with diesel lol and yes my engine is petrol but I'm going to tell them not to do any flush.

Thanks everyone

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I can't find any references to flushing fuel in a petrol engine.
Possibly fuel injector flush (clean)
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
I can't find any references to flushing fuel in a petrol engine.
Possibly fuel injector flush (clean)
Maybe that's what the dealer meant and with a 2 years old car don't think I would do it.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I wouldn't either - ever.
Just run a bottle of injector cleaner into a full tank every few months.  Or occasionally fill up with a higher octane petrol.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Petrol cars have an inbuilt filter in the fuel pump inside the fuel tank, so the fuel lines through to the injectors can't contain any crud.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@ Raid,

I understand this is your first near new car and you like to know everything, but you seem to be jumping at shadows (hence the sarcasm)

Have a good look around the forum and try and read as many of the how toos and stuff as you can, but try and chill out a bit and not go looking for too many problems.

If you get the car serviced by the book with genuine hyundai parts you will not need to go look for problems. Anything that does go wrong should be covered under the warranty. 

So sorry if our sledge hammer wit has offended you do seem to be looking for problems that aren't really there.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
I think the fuel additives may be what Raid was told about. It's puzzling to hear the dealership talking about this as I wasn't aware it was possible to buy fuel in the UK that doesn't comply with European fuel standards.

From the manual:

*12:

If good quality gasolines that meet Europe Fuel standards
(EN228) or equivalents including fuel additives is not available,
one bottle of additive is recommended. Additives are
available from your authorized HYUNDAI dealer along with
information on how to use them. Do not mix other additives.
  • 2014 i30 GD 1.4i 98ps 6-speed manual

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
I think the fuel additives may be what Raid was told about. It's puzzling to hear the dealership talking about this as I wasn't aware it was possible to buy fuel in the UK that doesn't comply with European fuel standards.

From the manual:

*12:

Thanks mate for all the info

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

From the manual:

*12:

That page not in my handbook or service book.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Sorry for coming late to the party but there appears to be one glaring omission from the UK members in this thread.

There is absolutely NO requirement for you to get the car serviced by the main dealer network, ANY independent VAT registered garage is allowed to service ANY manufacturers vehicles without affecting warranty as long as they are instructed and follow the instruction to use OEM (ie manufacturer made) parts and manufacturer stipulated lubricants etc.

You should ensure that they stamp the service book and that you get receipts detailing parts and consumables used should they be required for a later warranty claim, but there is no need to use the dealer, they simply scare you into using them by claiming that they must do the service and supply all the parts in order to maintain your warranty - it's BS!!

That might give you more options for the future???
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

All above is in the service book and it details what an owner is required to do re detailed invoice and accrediitation of the garage.

In the past i have requested quotes from indies and when requesting quote from hy dealer/authorised service centre they have matched, especially when they are higher, or i've found them to be better on price.

I personally i use dealer/authorised during warranty as if i happen to have a claim then it it all on the dealer/authorised to sort rather than me having to prove all parts conformed to hy specification if they raise any concerns between invoice details and actual parts on the car.

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Yep you rite eye30.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 00:26:07 by Raid »

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Two things here.

1.  The thread is not about price, it is about trust, Raid has repeatedly told us the franchise dealers he has been speaking to have been giving him duff information, the service booklet details what needs to be done and an indie can do it, irrespective of price.

2.  Whilst it is easier to simply accept using the dealer as the onus of any issues fall directly with them should a warranty issue arise, if you don't trust the dealer and have a reputable indie you do trust which one do you as the owner actually go with?  It becomes a personal decision.

I was simply highliighting an alternative that Raid can explore, should he wish to....
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal