Just had my 15K service this morning.

2 hours

$230.00 all up.

$146.15 (?) Labour
$ 15.40 Oil filter
$ 16.35 - screen wash + drain plug gasket + fuel injector cleaner
$ 42.20 Castrol 10W/30 Magnatec Oil
$   9.90  Waste Disposal and Shop Supplies

They didn't rotate the wheels as I requested them not to. ( I checked they were still where I had them).
They rectified the lazy fuel filler door which, like others on here popped but didn't spring clear of the body line.
They ordered a plug (cap) for my wiper arm which, like others on here, went missing. And advised me it will be supplied under warranty. :cool:

A big "thumbs up" to Sunshine Coast Motors - Hyundai at Currimundi.

All of which is pretty much on the money according to the "Auto Service Quote" system we use from Repco Auto Tech.
Of course, if I'd done it myself at work, it would have been just our cost on the oil and filter (in fact, the guy who I work for generally would not charge me).
As I understand the law in Oz, log book services carried out away from the manufacturer's dealers are still legally binding on manufacturer's warranty, provided they are documented and suitable components are used.
I don't intend challenging that, though, at least for a couple of years. 30K service is only a bit more as it does the air filetr and brake and clutch fluid replacement. 45K is actually less tha the 30K despite plugs being replaced.

• 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
*shiftey eyes* trev you can get the book stamped still even if you do it yourself!! why not take advantage of that!!!

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
*shiftey eyes* trev you can get the book stamped still even if you do it yourself!! why not take advantage of that!!!

Yep. I can. But I'll make that decision next year when the 30K comes up.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Dealer came back to me today to let me know the cap for my wiper shaft had arrived.
Fitted.

Fixed.

No charge.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
seems pretty spot on to my 15000k charges except my labour was maybe half that?

so was i undercharged or you overcharged? i also had no wheel rotation.
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
mabey there is less involved with a petrol service!
Hasn't snowcherry got a diesel?
Mine's petrol.

But to answer snowcherry, one hour labour charge would be about right for a 15,000klm service so that amount (mine) equates to about one hour.
If yours was less than that you've done well. :cool:

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
yah mine is petrol. they charged about $78 for labour.
i was surprised as i was quoted much more initially - about $215 i think, but only paid about $130
i had bought my own oil

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
^heh maybe  :cool:
and i did have the lovely man who fixed my rattle  :mrgreen:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

and i did have the lovely man who fixed my rattle

:eek: lucky man :eek:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
"agent puts a sign on the back of his car, saying rattles fixed free"

:lol: :lol: :cool:

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
can't say anything these days without it being misinterpreted  :rolleyes:
 :lol:

ummm there was the polite Hyundai technician who serviced my car, located the rattle and eliminated it.
is that better?  :P

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :lol: :lol:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

ummm there was the polite Hyundai technician who serviced my ..........

the trouble with forums is the quote button lets you change anything you want. :rolleyes:

Offline Touringcajun

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      Louisiana

• Louisiana, U.S.A.
I've noticed on several overseas forums that ya'll worry about doing your own services and still being able to have warranty work done in the future. Is this because your local dealerships are really espousing this erroneously or because you've heard this 2nd or 3rd hand. In the States, if you document (keep receipts and mark date and mileage) your work, even if you or your local independant tech do the work, future warranty is not impacted unless you or your shop caused the problem at hand.

I'm now using Pennzoil Platinum synth (5qts for $15 US at Walmart, when on sale). I tend to keep my vehicles a lonnnggg time, so I've always done my own maintenance. I'm currently using the Hyundai (Korea) filter(very well made) from my local dealer $7 US. Some said this is a Mann filter, can anyone corroborate this?

I tried finding an aftermarket cabin filter recently, but Fram, Purolator, STP, Wix ect...weren't available yet for the Touring. It must be different from the Elantra and Sonata. Even the dealer didn't have it in stock. It should be there now.

When the time comes, I'll use the Hyundai brake pads what with all the ABS, ESC, EBD, TCS EIEIO affecting the braking system. I'll also continue to use the SPIII ATF while still in warranty, but I'll probably price compare to the Mitsubishi and Kia SPIII fluid.

That was my 15K miles service: Tires were rotated @6K and @12K
Synthetic oil (5qt)  $15 US  Still have over 1.5qts left.
Hyundai oil filter     $7 US
Hyundai cabin filter $20 US (I'm guessing on this) Will use aftermarket later.
Inspections            $0 Using my ramps and enjoying the shade underneath.
Total                      $42 US

However, I will let the Hyundai dealer do the timing belt, water pump when the time comes. I can't lean over the fender for long any more.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks.. interesting feedback.. I think some of our members are pretty cautious..

The thinking is in the event of an unlikely "major" warranty claim they may look for an out if not serviced by the dealer.. That has not stopped me using an independent though .. :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Thanks.. interesting feedback.. I think some of our members are pretty cautious..

The thinking is in the event of an unlikely "major" warranty claim they may look for an out if not serviced by the dealer.. That has not stopped me using an independent though .. :cool:
I'm more concerned about working on it myself and voiding the warranty.  :eek:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

mabey i should just clean up my mind!

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

NEVER!

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
I've noticed on several overseas forums that ya'll worry about doing your own services and still being able to have warranty work done in the future.

no idea what to do, or the inclination to do it. i'd rather pay for peace of mind.
i do buy the oil though and give it them to do the change.
i think maybe part of it is our consumer laws are really sucky here and it's easy for a car dealer etc to say it was damaged or simply not covered under warranty due to work done out of improper servicing or whatever even if its not true. at least we're led to believe this is the case.

heh the sentence even sounded suss to me, i couldn't be bothered changing it at the time  :lol:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
its probably better you run your own oil... the 1000L IBC containers they get are easily contaiminated by dirt and water... its not hard to leave the top off and rain/dirt gets in it! (btw this has happened at my work)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
In UK to keep warranty intact you can use an independent so long as they follow the HY service schedule and use genuine HY parts.

Also, they have to be a VAT registered business - Value Added Tax - tax added to bill currently 17.5% going up in New Year to 20%. 

This excludes doing it yourself and back street lock ups.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I've noticed on several overseas forums that ya'll worry about doing your own services and still being able to have warranty work done in the future. Is this because your local dealerships are really espousing this erroneously or because you've heard this 2nd or 3rd hand. In the States, if you document (keep receipts and mark date and mileage) your work, even if you or your local independant tech do the work, future warranty is not impacted unless you or your shop caused the problem at hand.

I'm now using Pennzoil Platinum synth (5qts for $15 US at Walmart, when on sale). I tend to keep my vehicles a lonnnggg time, so I've always done my own maintenance. I'm currently using the Hyundai (Korea) filter(very well made) from my local dealer $7 US. Some said this is a Mann filter, can anyone corroborate this?

I tried finding an aftermarket cabin filter recently, but Fram, Purolator, STP, Wix ect...weren't available yet for the Touring. It must be different from the Elantra and Sonata. Even the dealer didn't have it in stock. It should be there now.

When the time comes, I'll use the Hyundai brake pads what with all the ABS, ESC, EBD, TCS EIEIO affecting the braking system. I'll also continue to use the SPIII ATF while still in warranty, but I'll probably price compare to the Mitsubishi and Kia SPIII fluid.

That was my 15K miles service: Tires were rotated @6K and @12K
Synthetic oil (5qt)  $15 US  Still have over 1.5qts left.
Hyundai oil filter     $7 US
Hyundai cabin filter $20 US (I'm guessing on this) Will use aftermarket later.
Inspections            $0 Using my ramps and enjoying the shade underneath.
Total                      $42 US

However, I will let the Hyundai dealer do the timing belt, water pump when the time comes. I can't lean over the fender for long any more.

Hi Touringcajun & welcome, i've driven around your beautiful state and on a lot of back roads loved it & loved the people, have some cajun friends.
things here are a lot more expencive as we have lot's & lot's of hidden tax's we do not even know about. Like in USA you go to Walmart and you see the price on the shelf tax free, then you go to the check out to pay and they add the tax there. here in Australia they all ( Government both fed & state, the company selling the product ) they all add there take not telling us how much they took its all in the shelf price not added at the check out.
what do they charge for Redline synthetic? can you buy that in Walmart?
ps we should call you a Shade tree LOL

Offline Touringcajun

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      Louisiana

• Louisiana, U.S.A.
Hi Lakes,

Redline, AMSoil, Shaeffers and other boutique high-end synthetic oils are not available at Walmart. You must locate a distributor to purchase these oils. Still there are lots of great group 3 and group 4 oils available there.
http://www.redlineoil.com/products.aspx

Our local sales tax is 9.5%, part of this goes to the State, part to the parish, and part local. And like you said, it's added at the cashier when you check out.

I'm not a full fledged "shade tree", but I still do most of the maintenance on my cars and my childrens cars. My dad was an independent mechanic for 45 years and I grew up doing brakes, tuneups, oil and transmission services since I was 12 during summer vacations and weekends.

I made my living servicing large computers and networks as an employee of Digital Equipment/Compaq/HP. Now cars are becoming networks with multiple processors onboard.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal