i30 Owners Club

Replacing Wiper Blades

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
There's been some discussion on here about blades - types, quality etc.
I've just replaced mine. The car is 2 years old this month. So I bought a set of silicon wiper refills from SuperCheap Autos and took a few pics as I went along. $12.00.

First surprise luckily before I went off to the shops was that the driver's side is a wide base one and the shorter passenger side has the narrow base. So fortunately the SCA brand are dual fitment as the pics will show.

I was also happy to note that my wipers were the "normal" ones so easy to service (refer pics on this site of some of the European ones).

Here's what I bought

Starting the threading in process (the old ones slid out quite easily).

There's a little issue here. You can't actually squeeze the tabs in because they sit in the groove between the wide base and the narrow base. I had to slip them out and over the top. Sorry this one is blurry. :-[

Like this.

The short passenger size needs to be cut. Being my usual "bush mechanic" self I used sidecutters which I've used before. The result is like this but a bit of careful work with a flat screwdriver blade gets them back into shape.

My tools.

Job done.

• 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Trev ... Nice work ...  :goodjob: (do you reckon the Silicone ones will work better than the OEM)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thanks Trev ... Nice work ...  :goodjob: (do you reckon the Silicone ones will work better than the OEM)
Over the last few years I've developed quite a liking for the silicon ones.
Quiet and efficient.
We'll see how they go on the Hoondai.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Goog job, Trev..... :goodjob:

In hindsight, would a hacksaw & stanley knife be better for cutting the blades?  :undecided:

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
Well, frankly speaking I have never changed the wiper's refills, but the wiper itself, that is more convenient and faster  :rolleyes:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Goog job, Trev..... :goodjob:

In hindsight, would a hacksaw & stanley knife be better for cutting the blades?  :undecided:

Absolutely Rusty. But the sidecutters are easier. :-[

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I got sick of trying to get some of these wiper blades in "black" at Supercheap Auto so decided to order some online late last week.

They arrived this morning and I've now fitted them so it will be interesting to see how they go.

Speaking of, how are yours holding up, Trev?

Oh, interestingly I didn't have any trouble with the clips on either blade so I'm wondering if they've modified them or something...... :undecided:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 03:04:49 by rustynutz »

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The clip problem was only on one.
And I normally use the grey ones although there were plenty of black last time I bought them, too.
They're operating fine.

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
I personally prefer the Aero Wiper Blade type, ( i assume this is the euro version. google  "Aero Wiper Blade"

They look cleaner, and do a better job, from personal experience.
Though cost is a factor as always
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I personally prefer the Aero Wiper Blade type, ( i assume this is the euro version. google  "Aero Wiper Blade"

Agree they do a good job but the silicon blades leave the screen completely clear on each wipe, are silent and last several years compared to most others which tend to go off after a year or so, depending on the conditions, esp heat.
So I can't justify changing from something which performs at 100%, at least for me.
I've used them now on my Subaru, my son's Mazda 6 and my wife's and daughter's Corollas.

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Agree they do a good job but the silicon blades leave the screen completely clear on each wipe, are silent and last several years compared to most others which tend to go off after a year or so, depending on the conditions, esp heat.
So I can't justify changing from something which performs at 100%, at least for me.
I've used them now on my Subaru, my son's Mazda 6 and my wife's and daughter's Corollas.
I'll maybe try them for the MX-5, think they'll be needing done soon :(
The i30 ones are still original I think, thats 2 and a bit years old, dong well :) Plus they get a good work out over over here in Northern Ireland... :sweating: <-- the rain falling on me :P

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

I'll maybe try them for the MX-5, think they'll be needing done soon :(
The i30 ones are still original I think, thats 2 and a bit years old, dong well :) Plus they get a good work out over over here in Northern Ireland... :sweating: <-- the rain falling on me :P

That's an interesting observation. I've always found a combination of heat and dust/ tree sap etc left on the screen tends to wear them out pretty quickly. I always advise friends, relatives and customers to clean their wiper blades regularly with a damp cloth (don't always do it myself though  :-[ ).
I guess a lot of rain would be OK unless there was smog etc in the air.

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

I thiknk where i live the air is quite clean, im about half a mile from the sea front, but salty weather doesn't seem to be an issue. Id give my blades a wipe the odd time when cleaning the car. Though the period they've lasted is a reason I'm sold on them.
Mum was lent an i30 (after i crashed her first one) and it had the standard blade, the difference was unbelievable. I really disliked it, fair enough it still done the job of clearing rain, but the aero blades seem to move across the windshield in a smoother fashion.
Mite just be me

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
I am strange. I must have OCD or something as I always use the sprayers to clean the front and back windscreen using the wipers at least ONCE a day! At least. And if something lands on the screen during the day I would do it again. I also windex my front window often as i cannot stand the foggy grime on the inside. I am not like this for household mirrors etc JUST my windows in teh car. I go mental if someone touches the windscreen haha! cannot stand hand prints!

So in saying this, I go through about one set of blades a year.
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Yes, you do have OCD.  :rofl:

I use the washers as little as possible. I think they scratch the glass if it iinitially dry.  :undecided:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline TazManiac

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brighton, Tasmania
I'm the same Bryan. At least once a day. I work across from a zinc smelter and we seem to get a bit of fallout in the area. Also hate the grime but usually too lazy to fix it.
  • 2012 i30 FD SX 2.0 Petrol

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

My windscreen has teh fine scratches on it but meh! I hate driving around at night with every light having a halo around it dur to dirty window haha!
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I park in a car park under a building, the haze that comes from that is unbelievable.

So I too use mine a bit. 2 years old and still on the originals.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

I am so happy to find other strange people who hate seeing halos or light around traffic lights and head lights all because of a dusty, dirty window! haha
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal