i30 Owners Club

Charge for wheel/tyre rotation

Guest · 26 · 7182

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
G'day again, had the 15000 km service on my i30 done last week, $219 capped price, no argument with that them's the rules.  However I requested a tyre rotation as the front ones were wearing a bit. It was done, but they charged me an extra $50 to rotate the wheels/tyres.

Whilst I wore it, I think it is a little rich, so what say ye? Any others had experience of being charged for rotation? :blubber:

(They did not rotate using the brand new spare either !!!) :sweating:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Thieving mongrels...They rotated mine for free, can't remember what service it was at though...  :undecided:

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
In this case, rotating wheels only should be free of charge. Extra cost for that seems ridiculous to me.  :faint:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
They rotated Ruby's and I didn't want them too. $0.00  :(
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
G'day again, had the 15000 km service on my i30 done last week, $219 capped price, no argument with that them's the rules.  However I requested a tyre rotation as the front ones were wearing a bit. It was done, but they charged me an extra $50 to rotate the wheels/tyres.

Whilst I wore it, I think it is a little rich, so what say ye? Any others had experience of being charged for rotation? :blubber:

(They did not rotate using the brand new spare either !!!) :sweating:
Lester, that is exhorbitant.
If you went to any well known tyre establishment and had that task done and assuming they balanced the wheels as well (which they had better have), you might pay up to $36 all up.
Given this, I'd make sure you check your tyre pressures, too.
And, if you're going to accept that price I'd be back there screaming about them not using the spare.

Bloody hell. I can't believe that.

• 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
After thoughts.

Did they not tell you there's be an extra charge when you asked for that service. If not that's pretty poor form.

Are you sure, rotation isn't included in the list of things as part of the actual service in the service book?

I'd hate to think they charged you $50 just to rotate and haven't balanced them.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Don't they have to take the wheeks off to check the pads?

So they are off anyway!

If you asked for rotation that SHOULD include the spare so long as it is full size and on the same type of rim as the others, unless they should do a change of tyre.

I'd be asking questions especially if they have not checked and cleaned the brake pads.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
$50? mine were done for free without asking.....Oh and they didn't use the spare.....Which is fine, I'll get 3 next time....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Ok Lester, seems we're all in agreement, you got ripped off....what say we have a mass protest out the front of that dealership this Saturday?  :happydance:  :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Ok Lester, seems we're all in agreement, you got ripped off....what say we have a mass protest out the front of that dealership this Saturday?  :happydance:  :lol:

Good idea .. you already had a mass debate about it..  :D

For the record I reckon it should have been free too..  :fum:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

I thought it was a group mass debate?  :undecided:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

For the record I reckon it should have been free too..  :fum:

Is this the first agreement for a while!

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Lester they seen you coming,I have only changed from using Hyundai in the last few services,but part of their standard servicing agreement with Hyundai,dealers in good faith are supposed to rotate your tyres,vacuum and wash your car,UNLESS you specifically ask them not too,I don't get fixed priced serives,thats why I don't use them any longer(Oh! and they're far to epensive)so unless there is something in the fixed priced servicing agreement about extra's or what is classed as extra's
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Thanks for all replies. I have today taken this 'overcharging' up with Service Manager at South Coast Hyundai, Batemans Bay.  My car came back dirty too and no vacuum, not good enough.

If no satisfaction will go to Hyundai Australia head office. :evil:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's the spirit Lester .. and if all else fails threaten them with a "retrospective" speeding fine  :snigger:

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
The service manager @ South Coast Hyundai rang me today, told me $219 capped service as per icare only covered those items contained in service schedule. Tyre/Wheel rotation was not in the schedule and was an additional .8 of an hour labour for rotation and balance.  So I checked the book, he is right there. B  Suffice to say and I told him, I have never been charged for tyre rotation before at other dealer/garages. :whistler:

I E mailed Hyundai Australia, not interested, take it up with the dealer they said as tyre roation is not part of scheduled capped service. :blubber:

No sympathy.  No more services at Hyundai for me, well not this dealer anyway. :evil: I could not give a toss about the $50, it is the principle of the matter.

:wts:

Daz..traffic infringement notice, back dated 10 years?  :lol: No I am not vindictive, just evil. :evil:

• FD i30 Trophy

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
But, but, but, the tyres were already removed, to check the brake linings. What a load of bollocks.  :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
In that case I would front up and demand that the tyres be rotated properly, including the spare.....

Oh and .8 of an hour...were they having smoko after each wheel?  :whistler:

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
What gets me with the tyre rotation for my car the book says to rotate every 12,500kms while the service is done every 15,000.  Why couldn't they coincide.   What I find though is 12,500km is too long between changes as the tyres have worn in too far in that position.

I rotate every 5,000kms and find this good (for other cars, but only got 27,000kms out of my first set on the i30). I do not use the spare because if you do, then it will be 5 tyres needing replacing, rather than only 4.  That way you will always have a serviceable spare in the boot (my father still have the original spare in his 33 year old Ford Fairmont - never used).

The other thing, I have noticed that at Wollongong Hyundai, they do not take the tyres off the car when servicing as they can check pads through the wheel, and do the brake fluid change with them on.

• 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The service manager @ South Coast Hyundai rang me today, told me $219 capped service as per icare only covered those items contained in service schedule. Tyre/Wheel rotation was not in the schedule and was an additional .8 of an hour labour for rotation and balance.  So I checked the book, he is right there. B  Suffice to say and I told him, I have never been charged for tyre rotation before at other dealer/garages. :whistler:

I E mailed Hyundai Australia, not interested, take it up with the dealer they said as tyre roation is not part of scheduled capped service. :blubber:

No sympathy.  No more services at Hyundai for me, well not this dealer anyway. :evil: I could not give a toss about the $50, it is the principle of the matter.

:wts:

Daz..traffic infringement notice, back dated 10 years?  :lol: No I am not vindictive, just evil. :evil:

G'day mate,

I would argue if there was going to be a charge for this service they should have advised you at the point of you asking for it.

ie "yes we can do that for you, but there will be an extra charge as it is not included in the fixed price service".

My 15000 service was also a fixed price one (though the dealer paid for it, because there was a stuff up in the vehicle invoicing). The first I knew about it was when old mate said "oh and the front tyres were quite worn so we rotated them for you". No charge.

The only time I have paid for tyre rotation, was when I had the wheel alignment done on my car at Goodyear. $30, and They have to undo all the nuts to remove the wheel covers to do the alignment. So essentially I paid twice for them to undo the bolts....Old mate got a little cranky when I pointed that out to him. Given 3/4 of the job was already done, I wouldn't have expected to pay for the full job....I guess it is the curse of computer invoicing....

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Yes, I perhaps should have been advised at check in of extra charge.   Anyway steer clear of Hyundai at Batemans Bay.  If I buy another Hyundai in a couple of years when my i30 is 4 years old, as I trade my cars 4 yearly then I will shop elsewhere. :noshits: I don't like dealing with unreasonable business people. :censored:

:kissmyass:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

It would appear they have not checked the pads correctly if the wheels have not been removed so they have not done the work requied.

I take it that us part if the service

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
It would appear they have not checked the pads correctly if the wheels have not been removed so they have not done the work required.

I take it that us part if the service

As a former service manager and mechanic, I must admit it is possible to check the pads on many cars without removing the wheels. It was very rare we had to remove the wheels when doing service.

Rotating the tyres is, in my opinion, not necessary. On my car they only get rotated once a year when changing summer/winter tyres. I always put the best ones in front, so they only get rotated if the best ones was removed from the rear at last change.

If you have problems with tyre noise and that's the reason for the rotation, then I believe there's either a problem with the alignment or wrong tyre pressure.
In those 9 years I was manager I don't recall more than maybe 5 costumers asking for tyre rotation.

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I like to get my tyres rotated at every service (pretty sure it is done free by Toyota at each fixed price servicing)

I like all my 4 tyres to wear out at the same time so I have the option to replace all 4 with a different brand or style.  :cool:

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Thanks all, I am over it, life is too short, I am just not going near their dealership again, (South Coast Hyundai, Batemans Bay)  unless it is warranty work. :kissmyass: :censored: :Rubbish:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
From the terms and conditions:

Any additional maintenance / repairs identified on a vehicle during the Scheduled Maintenance Service will be notified to the owner together with a quote prior to the commencement of the maintenance / repair that it is not covered under the Program.

http://www.hyundai.com.au/owners/terms#service

Seems to me they are hung by their own t and c.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal