i30 Owners Club

MY i30 DOESNT HAVE RDS

i30RSA · 68 · 24655

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
Hey guys,

Im from South Africa and just got my i30 today and so far its a marvelous car ! Only 2 minor iritations and flaws I have with the car.

Firstly, it has no RDS which means it doesnt display the radio stations name which is really stupid because our radio station shows the name of the song as it plays, no RDS so that wont be possible. Secondly, the lack of a 24-hour clock option, it only has the 12-hour clock option. So now I have to make due with 8:45 AM and 8:45 PM instead of 8:45 AM and 20:45 PM.

I read somewhere in a i30 review about a 'hidden menu' of some sort where you could somehow get RDS.

Look, you guys are in Europe or Australia or where ever, we might not have the same laws regarding broadcast requiements etc etc . . . . . In the same review they said something about RDS licences not being made available for some countries. Whtever that means I wont know !

What im basically getting at is, if someone out there knows how to magically get RDS on the 2013 i30s radio, PLEASE let me know, and IF someone knows how to magically access the 'hidden menu' I would be eternaly gratefull to whomever helps me  :happydance:
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Most of the features you're looking for are not available in the Australian cars AFAIK, but I have heard mention of time synchronisation & RDS from our European members, so I expect our units are quite different.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
But it is really stupid as this is supposed to be standard spesification. The RDS is important AND convenient so as to know on which radio station you are or maybe which song is playing on the radio. If someone hear knows how to access that 'secret menu' or to activate RDS PLEASE let me know. Thats the first complaint I have on this car. The second is the lack of a 24-hour clock option. It only has a 12-hour clock option so its 8:45 AM and 8:45 PM wjere its supposed to be 20:45 PM.

If anyone has answers to my RDS problem and how to solve it (if its possible at all) PLEASE reply on this message. It realy is a creature comfort I had on my Polo and to have to go without it would be just horrible.

Furthermore the car is awesome.
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I would prefer 24 hr clock as well, and I'm sure you meant 2045, not 20:45pm.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
Would it be wise to get a different model radio/GPS radio from Hyundai which has RDS ? Funny enough, the i20 in South Africa has RDS, the i10 which is way down the Hyundai evelution ladder has RDS, the Gets I drove as a rental had RDS even the lame Atoz had RDS but the super expensive i30 has to go without it ! WHY  :fum:
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I guess this is why there's an EBay market for these things, all the way from illumination controls to sat-nat DVD head units WITH such things as RDS. Sad but recurring.  :wacko:

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
@Gonz - I dont see the difference between 20:45 and 2045. Usualy when you look at a digital clock it has a colon in between ! I am REALLY p'ed about the RDS. If you hear anything about how to access the 'hidden menu' PLEASE pass it on to me ! I want to be able to see which station im on not having to keep a frequency chart as I dont know the diferent FM frequencies of by heart.
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
We have a number of RSA members, at least 3 of which have mentioned that cars in SA do not have RDS.

So, unless the i10, i20, Atoz & Getz have had their audio systems changed recently, you might find yourself out of luck.

Here's one of the posts I alluded to:

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=7713.msg91253#msg91253
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I dont see the difference between 20:45 and 2045.
No biggie on the colon, just 'military force'  :rolleyes: of habit in the way I typed it. I was referring to the use of 'pm' afterwards.  :goodjob:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 13:32:55 by Gonz »

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I would prefer 24 hr clock as well,

It can be changed in setting between 12 and 24 hours
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
hitman is an S.A. member,he may be able to help you out.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
It can be changed in setting between 12 and 24 hours
Maybe I already did that 3 years ago and forgotten what I see every day  :scared:
I'll try to remember to check it in the afternoon  :goodjob:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
On my 2012 GD i30 I can change the time format as follows

Switch radio on
Press "Set Up & Clock" button (Quickly - don't hold it in)
The clock screen with now show : Display - Sound - Clock - Phone - System
Turn the tuning knob to highlight "Clock" - press tuning knob to select it.
Now turn tuning knob and highlight "Time Format" - press tuning knob to select which option you require.
Press "Set Up & Clock" button to return to radio

The time will now be displayed in your chosen format.

According to my dealership there will be printed on the radio front in light grey (just above the CD slot) the words "Bluetooth"  "RDS" and "MP3" to denote which functions are available on the radio fitted to the car. If the word RDS is not there then it is not possible to get RDS displayed.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Alan  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
I did find out from the local dealer about getting a Navigation radio with RDS for my i30 (would probably be the only one in South Africa to have navigation in his i30) but oh dear  :eek: its gonna cost me $2000 (R16 000) plus importing costs and tax etc . . . .

Do you guys think its worth it to do that just because the stupid i30s in South Africa dont have RDS ? At the moment I have 3 different frequencies for 1 radio station, one for in town, then driving to the neighbouring town I have to change it to the other frequency (for the same radio station) when I get to the next town. When that frequency dissapears I have to change it to yet another frequency. Im constantly changing frequencies to keep up with the one radio station as I drive along, my previous car had RDS and did the changing automaticaly. The signal for the radio is extremely poor and I have to constanly fiddle with the radio to get better reception.

Why did Hyundai leave out such a simple thing like RDS from a $34 000 car ?
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I did find out from the local dealer about getting a Navigation radio with RDS for my i30 (would probably be the only one in South Africa to have navigation in his i30) but oh dear  :eek: its gonna cost me $2000 (R16 000) plus importing costs and tax etc . . . .

Do you guys think its worth it to do that just because the stupid i30s in South Africa dont have RDS ?

Before you buy it, don't forget to ask them whether it has a 24 hour clock facility with the am and pm indicators. :whistler:

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
The iPod connection and connection to my Blackberry is useless as it doesnt stay connected when you turn the ignition off. When turing on the ignition again I have to first unplug my Blackberry again and plug it in again and then go to the media menu and search for USB and I often get a connection error from the USB port. This is a new car guys ! Why is this happening ?
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

There are other threads on here about similar problems and their solutions.

Mine works fine with my Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 when the radio clock is set to the 24 hour system.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Do you guys think its worth it to do that

I think it was member IMMX who bought an aftermarket solution for 5 companycars, maybe that will do for you.

To me $2000 would be out of the question, but if you have the money and it really bothers you that much, maybe it's worth it for you.

Found the thread.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=19052.msg203576#msg203576
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
To me $2000 would be out of the question, but if you have the money ...

Good shout Asterisk :)

He should definitely go down that route and "splash the cash" - he's a fully qualified doctor who can afford five i30s no problem  :evil:

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
Oh hahahahaha Shambles you are sooooooo funny ! $2000 is a lot of money and now an unecesary expenditure because my oh so exquisite $32 000 i30 didnt come with a RDS radio which is supposed to be standard on a car of that price, much cheaper cars come fitted with a RDS radio. If you pay that kind of money for a car you wouldnt want to expect to manualy change the radio after the signal just jumps off a cliff.

Lets rather keep to CARS and not snap at each other.
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yeah, sorry mate - I was just Avi'n a laugh ;)

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
As you are a Britt that would mean that radio is gona cost me GBP1200 which translates as R16000 !
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Surely there's an aftermarket device in your country. Have you checked around.  :question:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
That Kenwood unit IMMX used can be purchased here in DK for around 625 GBP, and we are usually not the cheapest place to buy electronics.

http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/products/car/navigation/all_in_one/DNX4210BT/

It has a lot of features.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
That Kenwood unit IMMX used can be purchased here in DK for around 625 GBP, and we are usually not the cheapest place to buy electronics.

http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/products/car/navigation/all_in_one/DNX4210BT/

It has a lot of features.

I agree, there have been a few complaints about the factory nav, I'd go aftermarket if it was me

Offline Hitman

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Cape Town
Just for interest sakes guys... There are 2 models of radio units,  onefor Europe with RDS and one for general market without RDS

And changing the radio within the warranty period will render your entire warranty void... actually doing anything to the car within that period will void it! :'(

Hyundai SA is funny that way

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Funny is probably not the right word  :confused: :fum:

Offline Hitman

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Cape Town

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Funny is probably not the right word  :confused: :fum:

I was using the term loosely Dazz

:snigger: :winker:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal