i30 Owners Club

Adding steering wheel volume controls

pauly · 78 · 35999

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
hey dazz want a switch, works perfect! brand new condition!!!!!! never had power to it!

nah j/k

thanks to my dad *agent tips hat to him* we/he discovered it DOES INDEED WORK!!!

the problem is the clock spring... you see there are two rows pins in the connector you use to gain steering wheel controls, IN MY CAR the clock spring connector only has one row, BUT and there is a MASSIVE BUT

the connector has spaces for 12 pins (obviously for horn, cruise, volume, and bluetooth phone) of which you can only have 2 options...

my clock spring only has 4 pins in it, the same number as the new steering wheel control... so for me to "rearange" the wiring WILL WORK

BUT i actually need 5 pins... 4 for the control and an earth for the horn

so i can make this work at no extra cost just by installing a seperate switch for the horn and moving the connectors around that plug into the clock spring...

but i dont want to do that just yet... i mean im not driving an XF faclon with a faulty horn that has required me to "just put a switch in"

so im going to price up a new clock spring... hopefully its cheap...

once ive got everything sorted ill do a write up, i have all the photos plus some...

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the clock spring may be cheap item.  :idea:  but why have others done the conversion and yours is different?  [wrong parts]
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
newer cars mabey... mine truely is a base model LOL cost cutting in the factory... who knows

others have just lucked it i guess... so now we know JUST BE CAREFUL inspect your clock spring first!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I was only joking about ripping someone off...

(that reminds me they appear to have sold my i30...)  :lol:

From what you have said and done on the site already I suspected you would be able to sort it... :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
lol i dont think i would have sorted it with out my dad coming and helping... he "joined" the looms together just to test it for me ( i was looking up wiring diagrams on the net) LOL

Offline bobbyd

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
wow... looks like i just wasted $200... my clock spring is different... it only has the lower row of connectors... so to put it nicely "im f#%73d"

Ahhh, i did see a basic clock spring at a wreckers, obviously base model not suited to cruise or audio control from the early models.  You could take clock spring out, see if the full set of connectors in the loom attached and maybe put the optioned clock spring in if you can find one cheap another.  I know retail they are $250 and wreckers should be $120.....?

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
all its good bobbyd... i made a plan...

im getting a new clock spring... its much cheaper than you would think...

yer there is obviously 2 different clock springs, i just happened to have the one not suited to it... meh

Offline bobbyd

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Good to hear mate. 

On another note- when i fit the audio system to my car, to get the converter to allow the i30 controllers to work the Alpine head unti it will cost me $340- what a rip off.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
i wouldnt bother... i would just put the blanking plate back in, and sell the controls on here....

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Bobbyd I'm trying to work out if my car has the full version clock spring. Can you tell me your car's build date?

Agent31 can you tell me your car's build date please?

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
my car was built very late december 2009... anyway ill be putting photos up and the write up in about half an hour!

you will see the difference in my photos V.S bobbyd's

Offline bobbyd

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Bobbyd I'm trying to work out if my car has the full version clock spring. Can you tell me your car's build date?

Agent31 can you tell me your car's build date please?
Mine's Feb 2010, so almost as new as you get.

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Damn. Mine's a Nov '09 so think I have the half clock spring like yours agent31. Still keen on your write up though. Cheers guys

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
the write up is done eyecon just go to the electrical section and its there! its pretty comprehensive so if your not that handy at things like this it should make it easy!!!

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital

Offline thekman

• 1st Gear
Thanks to all in this forum for the helpful tips. I'm surprised (and disappointed) that almost every Hyundai dealer I've contacted says "no it can't be done" even when you point them to the helpful step-by-step instructions found here. I think it would be a great resource if those who HAVE found dealers to do this share the contact details (I may be close and will advise if it's successful). As far as I can tell, we so far only have Liam at Bunbury Hyundai and Volkswagen (08) 9791 4210 as a dealer resource.

As an aside, this link on our forum is a another even more detailed step-by-step. Perhaps an admin can merge the two discussions:
https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,6832.msg79887.html#msg79887

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
ignore the dealer, and just order the parts... or try a bigger dealership mate!!

you will probably find they dont want to help you because, most dealers wont take back electrical things after you have bought them and opened them (incase you shorted it out and broke it)

they just dont want to do a special order, then have you coming back after you have bought the stuff demanding a refund because it doesnt fit/work and they cant gaurantee it!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal