i30 Owners Club

Replacing rear brake backplate on FD

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Just servicing rear brakes on a 2011 1.6 CRDi, and apart from the discs and pads being worn out, the backplate/disc shield on the right hand side is crumbling away. I have a replacement on order, but can anyone advise on what holds it in place? Do I have to remove the rear wheel hub from the hub carrier to get it off, or will I also have to remove the hub carrier from the suspension to get at screws from the back?
  • i30 CRD

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I'm answering my own question, the hub does have to be removed to replace this plate. The aperture in the plate isn't big enough to manipulate it over the hub. The plate is held on by 5 screws with 7mm hex heads. Amazingly, they all came out fairly easily. Clear away any grime away from around the heads, give them a squirt of penetrating oil, use a 7mm 6-point socket, and tap it lightly with a hammer to make sure it's over the screw head as far as it can go. With a slim drive extension that can pass through the holes in the hub, undo the screws with a socket wrench.

I can get a 14mm socket onto the heads of the 4 bolts that hold the hub on, I should be able to get a wrench onto them without having to do any more dismantling other than remove the shock absorber which is in the way.

Does anyone know what the correct torque is for those hub bolts?

Update, found it on another post, 68.6 to 88.3Nm
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 16:10:07 by BrendanP »
  • i30 CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal