i30 Owners Club

Performance chip from RaceChip?

Offline hampster1958

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hammy Hampster
Hi Folks, just join the site. 3 weeks ago bought i30 SLX 1.6 lt CRDi and i30 SLX 2.0 SLX. , well already owning a 2006 elantra and a 1998 excel and have always been impressed by the hyundai cars.

Now the diesel is getting close to its 1000km check or what ever, I am thinking of installing a performance chip, and so far the best one I have seen for the price and background would be the German company Racechip. Has anyone heard of this company and has anyone had any experience.

So far I have found this site extremely informative.

Hampster1958
  • 2012 FD i30 SLX 1.6 lt CRDi,2012 FD i30 SLX 2.0 SLX,2014 GD I30 Premium CRDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Hamster (you are one of probably eight members with 2  x i30's) weve had 2 but not both at the same time..

There is some good feedback on that company they get a mention in maybe a dozen threads on here...

Just put "Racechip" into the search function at the top of the page  :goodjob2:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline hampster1958

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hammy Hampster
Hey thanks Dazzler, I see greenmachine really did what i am about to do.......except the diesel I bought for my son...he struggles how to open the bonnet....gave my daughter the 2.0lt, I know spoilt the kids right?  Bluntly it's called heaps of safety...esp, ABS, airbags etc   but i still have a bit of tool man in me...oh by the way the wife drives an A class Merc and I drive an elantra...the chip really intrigues me...now I am looking for a chip for the 2.0 lt petrol i30.
  • 2012 FD i30 SLX 1.6 lt CRDi,2012 FD i30 SLX 2.0 SLX,2014 GD I30 Premium CRDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Lucky Kids..  :Shocked: I would have given the son the Elantra and kept the CRDi if i was you... :whistler:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Welcome hampster 1958   :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline minemanja

• 1st Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade
I just installed chiptuning box from Racechip and I cannot believe what's become of my sluggish 90hp 1.6 CRDI. A beast. Simply amazing!! The engine has become so elastic, reaching significant torque at as low as 1500 rpms (peak torque just below 2000), therefore, there is absolutely no need to rev it passed 2500. I appears it is consuming less fuel, too, although I cannot confirm yet. I strongly recommend it to everyone, plus it's one of the most affordable on the market, and it's Made in Germany!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome "MM" I suspect the 90hp has more room to grow (performance wise) than the 115hp...

Our respected member accim from Slovenia did this to his previous 90HP CW with similar pleasing results (he now has a newer model with the U2 motor)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Welcome to this forum minemanja.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AKAdventure

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newtown, NSW, Australia
The Racechip is the unit I got. My only complaint is the lack of adjustability. It would be nice to be able to fine tune it a bit more.
The Racechip Pro is a better unit as it calculates a lot quicker, but it was twice the price.

Note, I get around 6.5l/100, which is the same as what I got before the chip installation. I drive fairly normally, the occasional push, but nothing crazy.

Offline minemanja

• 1st Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade
Are you sure it cannot be adjusted? I did not open the box, but as the instructions say (unless instructions are for both regular and pro and relates to pro only), you can unscrew it on the connector side, open, and then turn the left rotary clockwise, where each step(click I guess) gives you another 1,5% power increase.

But there is one other thing I am a bit concerned now, as I am noticing slightly louder sound of engine, a bit more rattling sound than usual, although here in Serbia, diesel fuel is known to be the worst in region, so I am not sure of the actual cause.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

But there is one other thing I am a bit concerned now, as I am noticing slightly louder sound of engine, a bit more rattling sound than usual, although here in Serbia, diesel fuel is known to be the worst in region, so I am not sure of the actual cause.

You could either take it back off and see if the engine goes quieter again or email the manufacturer and ask their opinion (at the same time asking about adjustability of the basic chip) :goodjob:

Offline AKAdventure

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newtown, NSW, Australia
By adjustability I meant more parameters. Ala The way the box works is by increasing pressure of the fuel according to the input going to the rail. In essence it works well, however I would have liked more control at each end of the rpm scale. Since I have messed with the boost, it would have been good to have the flexability.

No big deal really as I was only ever targeting a mild improvement in performance, not a tyre shredder.  :twisted:

In all honesty, I'm very happy with the kW's and what it does and the way it does it. I certainly would recommend this unit.

As for the extra rattle, no idea. Try a proper diesel detergent in your fuel and see if the rattle is reduced.

Offline minemanja

• 1st Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade
just so you know, yes you can fine tune your racechip by unscruing two small screws on the fron side (the connection side) of the device, slide the box open, and you'll see two rotary switches.

Offline moreboost

• 2nd Gear
I have the standard Racechip, excellent upgrade. There are 2 versions, the Race Chip  and the  Race Chip Pro that is adjustable. I seems to use a little more fuel but that is probably because I use the extra performance that is available. No issues at all, very easy to install and worth the $$$$
  • SLX Diesel

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal