i30 Owners Club

AM radio reception

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Since I bought my GD Active nearly two years ago, my AM radio reception has gradually got worse, which is a problem for me as I live 80 kms south of the city.
I now know why.
I have added GPS, dashcams, i-Phone chargers, etc and each one brings with it electrical interference.
If I unplug those devices, I can hear AM radio.
When I plug them back in, I can't.
Is there anything I can get done to fix that? Suppressors maybe?   :undecided:
Thanks.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Surprised that GPS would affect AM. GPS operates in the microwave range, far away from AM.

The cable from the external aerial will be shielded with either aluminium or copper braid. This surrounds the central copper wire and is supposed to eliminate interference from getting in to the central wire. Either the cable is of poor quality, or there is an area which is open to interference. This could be at the point where the aerial connects to the rear of the radio, which is also close to your other devices. I would have someone check this and all other connections to see if they are loose at all.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Thanks, will look at that.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline PiL

• 3rd Gear
  • Lord and Master

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

• Pump it Loud
My AM radio reception has been crap since day 1.
  • GDe i30 tourer elite diesel

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Is it possible to get your AM station on one of the FM channels Dave, my parents were also having issues with one or two of their favourite AM stations and through some searching discovered they were also broadcast on FM " I cant remember which channels they were now though " being near the hills probably affects your FM reception though I'm thinking.

I also thought they were going to eventually phase out AM like they've done with analogue TV reception :undecided:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Could the signal amplifier in the GPS affect the AM?  I don't think so, but it may be worth checking it out.  If you do think it is one or all of the other electrical devices then you could use a simple experiment.  Just try using one of the gizmos at a time, and see which one causes it.  If that doesn't work, try a combination of two and so on.

Another option which I might use in my car is using Bluetooth instead (that's if it is fitted to your car).  Most radio stations broadcast over the internet now (yes, even the AM stations) which can be picked up by your phone, using an application such as TuneIn Radio.  Use that to listen to your station and Bluetooth the stream to your car radio. 

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Is it possible to get your AM station on one of the FM channels Dave, my parents were also having issues with one or two of their favourite AM stations and through some searching discovered they were also broadcast on FM " I cant remember which channels they were now though " being near the hills probably affects your FM reception though I'm thinking.

I also thought they were going to eventually phase out AM like they've done with analogue TV reception :undecided:

That'd be nice but unfortunately not available on FM.  :(
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Could the signal amplifier in the GPS affect the AM?  I don't think so, but it may be worth checking it out.  If you do think it is one or all of the other electrical devices then you could use a simple experiment.  Just try using one of the gizmos at a time, and see which one causes it.  If that doesn't work, try a combination of two and so on.

Another option which I might use in my car is using Bluetooth instead (that's if it is fitted to your car).  Most radio stations broadcast over the internet now (yes, even the AM stations) which can be picked up by your phone, using an application such as TuneIn Radio.  Use that to listen to your station and Bluetooth the stream to your car radio.

There's a thought.
A bit of fiddling around for my non-tech mind though.
I have already done the process of elimination you suggest.
The dash cam is the main offender along with the plug in charger for the phone.
I can listen to the radio station for longer if I turn my camera off and make sure my phone is charged up prior to leaving the city.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Interesting. The camera's processing noise seems to be the culprit, much like early PC clones were notoriously bad for EMI/EMC. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Try putting some of the spare power cable from the offending devices through some ferrite toroidals, at least three or four turns, the more the better, and at the device end not the car end. Clip on ones are tidiest, not much money on ebay etc.

Offline SWDXING

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW

The AM Radio broadcast band will never be phased out. It's just as useful and effective as the FM band, just reaches further.
Some radio stations have an "FM translator", that being their primary frequency is on the AM band (for example 2HD Newcastle, 1143AM, but they also have a translator re-broadcasting it on FM 97.5).

Not all AM radio stations do this, as a matter of fact, very few. Although stations like the ABC usually have an FM translator service within range of their day time AM broadcast area. There are several here.

The radio that comes in the i30s are terrible, I can speak for myself. Technically they are "deaf" (meaning their sensitivity is horrid, making it more difficult to receive stations that better receivers can). OPAL manufacture modern Hyundai head units (and also a generic crappy no-name Chinese mob, too). These head units are inferior, have odd characteristics and perform poorly.

While in this case, as you guys did mention it's caused by the accessories in the vehicle.

But regardless, Hyundai radios really do suck. But their cars are great.  :) 
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 1.8lt Petrol

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Although our sound system has performed flawlessly, the number of complaints here, proves that the head unit could do with a change of manufacturer. These cars are built to a price, but entertainment should be given higher priority, at least in the area of reliability and performance.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Although our sound system has performed flawlessly, the number of complaints here, proves that the head unit could do with a change of manufacturer. These cars are built to a price, but entertainment should be given higher priority, at least in the area of reliability and performance.

I agree, Phil.
I only listen to AM because as I spend so much time on the road, I like to keep up to date with current affairs.
If I want to listen to music, I prefer to choose my own.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I only listen to AM because as I spend so much time on the road, I like to keep up to date with current affairs.
Your transition across the radio modulation schemes is due to your transition across the age brackets. :whistler:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Your transition across the radio modulation schemes is due to your transition across the age brackets. :whistler:

:lol:
Maybe.
I do listen to FM at times, but I like to keep current with political/current affairs and FM doesn't offer that.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Think we had this discussion a while ago,I purchased a couple of aerials one Rusties recommendation some time ago,in the hope it would improve FM reception(as I prefer to listen to one particular station and it cuts out about 40 K's out of Perth)but I can recieve all the ABC am channels perfectly all the way home 558,585 can't remember the other few
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
558,585   :eek: Any lower and you'll be picking up subs.  :D

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My nearest AM scale starts at 540. :eek:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
It must be the age creep, as my preferred radio station is ABC News Radio, which my kids hate.  I do it for news and current affairs.  I also like ABC Radio National and ABC Local.  Unfortunately all of those here in Southern Tasmania are on the AM band.  (585 RN, 747 NR and 936 Local)  If I can't listen to those I listen to Podcasts of ABC programmes, ones like Conversations with Richard Fiddler, Dr Karl, This American Life, The Bugle and All Things Considered.

In the North of the State, the ABC broadcasts on FM.  Much clearer reception and better sound quality, but do you need that when listening to people talk? 

One of the reasons that AM will never be retired is the range, you will also find that the majority of the ABC stations are lower on the AM band, as this gives better range (Phil and/or Gonz might be able to confirm this) for transmission during emergencies.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Yes, the lower frequencies can be reflected by the ionosphere allowing interstate stations to be heard at night, if conditions are right. Low frequency waves penetrate objects. High frequency waves are line of sight and restricted by Earth curvature, too.

Sadly I can't take too much Current Affairs. Just the nightly news, then back to fiction.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
+1 for ABC News Radio. I get bored with FM unless it has high quality dialog and that is rare.

AM does enjoy far greater range, not necessarily by ionospheric bounce although this can be used to great effect, such as Over-The-Horizon Radar. Ionospheric bounce, or skip, is touchy in that, if you choose too low a frequency at too high an angle, you'll go right through into space.

OTHR uses an entirely separate secondary system just to characterise the ionosphere to make sense of what it can and can't see. :victory:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
+1 for ABC News Radio. I get bored with FM unless it has high quality dialog and that is rare.

AM does enjoy far greater range, not necessarily by ionospheric bounce although this can be used to great effect, such as Over-The-Horizon Radar. Ionospheric bounce, or skip, is touchy in that, if you choose too low a frequency at too high an angle, you'll go right through into space.

OTHR uses an entirely separate secondary system just to characterise the ionosphere to make sense of what it can and can't see. :victory:

:whsaid:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
  :foottap::Yeah: :harhar:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I appreciate all the replies here.   :goodjob:
Kudos to Jamie (FatBoy) though, I have to say.
I tried streaming the AM 882 broadcast from my i-Phone and through the Bluetooth on the car and it seems to be working perfectly.
I can even leave my GPSs on all the way home.
A couple of times the BT connection has dropped out for some reason  :undecided: but has come back again by itself.
I guess the only unknown here is how much it will add to my monthly mobile bill.  :undecided:
Time will tell.
The other downside is that any interruption, eg a phone call, cuts off the streaming and it has to be reconnected so I now need to buy a phone cradle to stay legal.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I've got one of those shtickie phone holders if you want it Dave, you can have it for free :)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I've got one of those shtickie phone holders if you want it Dave, you can have it for free :)

Gee, thanks Craig, that's very nice of you.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm back in Baldivis this week so if you drive by I'll throw it through the window for ya.

Also if you want a cheap phone provider have a look at Amaysim, contracts not required plus unlimited calls and msg's with 5gb of data for $44 a month ( uses Optus reception towers )

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I'm back in Baldivis this week so if you drive by I'll throw it through the window for ya.

Also if you want a cheap phone provider have a look at Amaysim, contracts not required plus unlimited calls and msg's with 5gb of data for $44 a month ( uses Optus reception towers )

How about tomorrow morning? If you could pm me with the address I'll call in on my way through.
Amaysim looks interesting. I'm with Vodafone at the moment at $65 per month.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
PM sent :)

Yeah Amaysim is great, I've been with them for years now and my phone still works when I'm in a mates shed in Mundijong where bloody crap Telstra wont.

Offline PiL

• 3rd Gear
  • Lord and Master

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

• Pump it Loud
ABC radio app is great but all that streaming adds up on your data allowance. The alternative is to buy a portable digital radio and I can't find anything suitable as yet.

Maybe I need to increase my data..
  • GDe i30 tourer elite diesel

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal