i30 Owners Club

OEM DRLs for i30cw FD / Elantra Touring

Offline pressingonalways

• 1st Gear

• us United States
      New York
I got a US Elantra Touring 2012 and I want to have DRL like the Canadian version or the i30cw FD version in Germany. I know they use the high beam lights for DRL, I was wondering if the high beam is running at full intensity or 50% in DRL mode? What are the settings that activate DRL? Does it come on when the car is turned on or only when it is in drive and the regular lights are off? Would anyone with a Canadian model touring or the i30cw be able to check their car behavior? Thanks!
  • 2012 Touring, Auto, Silver

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I cant comment on the Canadian model but with The euro models here in Australia the DRL's come on automatically once the car is started and when you turn on the driving lights "normal or high beam" the DRL's turn off ( hence the name "Day Time Running Lights" )

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Regardless of what the Canadian model does, you must comply with your road legislation where you live. The rules may be different where you are located.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline pressingonalways

• 1st Gear

• us United States
      New York
Regardless of what the Canadian model does, you must comply with your road legislation where you live. The rules may be different where you are located.

In the US, there are no requirements for DRL... hence why Hyundai didn't even include it in the US version. As far as I understand, a Canadian DRL model is legal in the US...

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
In Oz, our regulations stipulate that DRL's must not be on, when the main headlamps are turned on. So as long as you're sure, I guess you can do your own thing.

Offline pressingonalways

• 1st Gear

• us United States
      New York
I cant comment on the Canadian model but with The euro models here in Australia the DRL's come on automatically once the car is started and when you turn on the driving lights "normal or high beam" the DRL's turn off ( hence the name "Day Time Running Lights" )

Are we talking about the same model? I'm talking about the older 2009-2012 model that looks like:

I see the DRLs on in the German model here:

:link: Compare it! Opel Meriva vs. Hyundai i30 cw | drive it - YouTube

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
If I look at the video you link to @ 1:41 it's the low beam on as DRL. The same goes for my 2008 FD. Low beam are used for DRL.

I don't have a wiring diagram, so don't know how it's connected, but maybe someone here have a diagram.. :question:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Are we talking about the same model? I'm talking about the older 2009-2012 model that looks like:

I see the DRLs on in the German model here:

:link: Compare it! Opel Meriva vs. Hyundai i30 cw | drive it - YouTube
Sorry I was referring to the GD model :neutral:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Your model is the FD, which is before the current GD model. Australia never received the front shown on your picture with DRL's. Most likely as the impetus for DRL's is from Europe and even today, the current GD is NOT fitted with DRL's unless it is imported from Europe, or a "special" model.

Offline pressingonalways

• 1st Gear

• us United States
      New York
If I look at the video you link to @ 1:41 it's the low beam on as DRL. The same goes for my 2008 FD. Low beam are used for DRL.

I don't have a wiring diagram, so don't know how it's connected, but maybe someone here have a diagram.. :question:

So are you saying there is no difference between me leaving my headlights on all the time and having DRL? I have to double check my lights, but I think the circular ones are highbeam for me....

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
The modern convention is that DRL's are generally LED's which are bright but very low current devices. They have a life expectancy of approx 100k hours and are perfectly suited for this application. On the FD model, there are no LED's fitted at all, so you would have to improvise by buying after market ones and fitting them to be legal. In Oz, the lights have to be fitted within height and width specifications to be legal. Don't know about the US of A. Check with your authorities and let us know what the regulations, if any, are.

Traveling with headlights on increases fuel consumption, wears out headlamp globes, ages the alternator and battery.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

So are you saying there is no difference between me leaving my headlights on all the time and having DRL? I have to double check my lights, but I think the circular ones are highbeam for me....

There is a relatively simple modification that converts the fog lights to DRL mode so  the DRL's (foglights) come on with ignition and go off if the lights are turned on.
It only requires a 5 pin relay and a fuse tap.  All bits fit in the engine bay fuse box.

Edit: removed failed photo link.

Basic instructions....

Remove the existing fog lamp relay.

Connect the 5 pin relay coil to earth and to  the headlamp LO fuse with a  fuse tap.

Connect the normally closed relay  terminals to the  reverse lamp  fuse socket with a fuse tap and the terminal in the fog lamp relay socket that feeds the fog lamps.

With the 'ignition' on the normally closed relay contacts supply the fog lamps via the 'ignition' controlled reverse lamp fuse tap.

When the  headlamps are turned on the relay contacts open cutting the feed to the fog lamps.

I have photos but can't seem to upload them.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 13:48:35 by baradeur »

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Exactly  :P

If I remember correct you can leave the light switch on all the time as the lights will go out when the key is removed from ignition and drivers door are opened.

Traveling with headlights on increases fuel consumption, wears out headlamp globes, ages the alternator and battery.

Yes, but now my i30 is 7 years old/218.000 km and the alternator and the stock battery is still working fine. The slightly increased fuel consumption and the few extra globes, I'm quite willing to pay for the extra safety the DRL's provide.  :happydance:

Just to add to the extra wear: My last car, a Nissan Primera was scrapped at the age of 19 years old and 335.000 km still running the stock alternator, never repaired, and only on its second battery. Do keep in mind that car had the headlamps on as DRL's all it's life.. :exclaim:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I believe in Canada, many cars use a reduced high beam (maybe 50%) as DRL. Note DRLs are compulsory there. Here in Australia, many VWs do the same including the Golf.

High beam has the advantage of increased throw compared to low beam. The reduced output prevents glare, prolongs life of the bulb, and saves energy.

I do believe it requires a special module to reduce voltage for DRL purposes.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

There is a relatively simple modification that converts the fog lights to DRL mode so  the DRL's (foglights) come on with ignition and go off if the lights are turned on.
It only requires a 5 pin relay and a fuse tap.  All bits fit in the engine bay fuse box.

Basic instructions....

Connect the 5 pin relay coil to earth and to  the headlamp LO fuse with a  fuse tap.

Connect the normally closed relay  terminals to the  reverse lamp  fuse socket with a fuse tap and the terminal in the fog lamp relay socket that feeds the fog lamps.

With the 'ignition' on the normally closed relay contacts supply the fog lamps via the 'ignition' controlled reverse lamp fuse tap.

When the  headlamps are turned on the relay contacts open cutting the feed to the fog lamps.

Thanks baradeur, nice little mod, but could be a problem in some States of Australia where it is fineable to run your fog lights when not foggy..  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline pressingonalways

• 1st Gear

• us United States
      New York
I believe in Canada, many cars use a reduced high beam (maybe 50%) as DRL. Note DRLs are compulsory there. Here in Australia, many VWs do the same including the Golf.

High beam has the advantage of increased throw compared to low beam. The reduced output prevents glare, prolongs life of the bulb, and saves energy.

I do believe it requires a special module to reduce voltage for DRL purposes.

This is exactly what I thought!

Exactly  :P

If I remember correct you can leave the light switch on all the time as the lights will go out when the key is removed from ignition and drivers door are opened.

Yes, but now my i30 is 7 years old/218.000 km and the alternator and the stock battery is still working fine. The slightly increased fuel consumption and the few extra globes, I'm quite willing to pay for the extra safety the DRL's provide.  :happydance:

Just to add to the extra wear: My last car, a Nissan Primera was scrapped at the age of 19 years old and 335.000 km still running the stock alternator, never repaired, and only on its second battery. Do keep in mind that car had the headlamps on as DRL's all it's life.. :exclaim:

Asterix, I think I'm going for more of the Canadian style then I guess?

So just to let everyone know, the reason why I want to try this is I think I can get my auto insurance reduced by a little bit for having DRLs... I do wonder what qualifies as DRL though... Do you think I can get away with leaving my lights on all the time and checking that I have DRL on my car?

Does anyone have a wiring diagram or any clue how to make the high beams shine at 50% when the car is on?

Offline pressingonalways

• 1st Gear

• us United States
      New York

Basic instructions....

Thanks, I saw the thread about this a bit back, but I honestly feel the fog lights are too low and too facing towards the floor to be effective DRLs.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Thanks, I saw the thread about this a bit back, but I honestly feel the fog lights are too low and too facing towards the floor to be effective DRLs.

Many European cars have DRLs at fog light height and some actually use the fog light position for DRLs as regulations permit them that low.

My fog lights are adjusted to 'full up' so projecting the light forward rather than downward and I have fitted very white output bulbs.  To be honest they are very effective as DRLs. They cannot cause dazzle as they go off when lights are turned on.

Reducing the output of standard  main or dipped beam bulbs will not save energy.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Both our cars (as per my signature) come with the DRLs at fog light height...

Here's an FD with DRL's at that height.. Somewhere in this thread I think....

:link: Constant Headlight Blows

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Here's an FD with DRL's At That Height.. Somewhere in this thread ...

:snigger:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I see what you did there gonz.. :shocked:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal