Sprung versus unsprung weight.

Dazzler · 18 · 5622

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I was reading an interesting article about Carbon fibre wheels being made in Australia and thought some might find this panel of info interesting.

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
I always laugh when I see someone has fitted heavy aftermarket rims to their car thinking it has made an improvement !!
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I always laugh when I see someone has fitted heavy aftermarket rims to their car thinking it has made an improvement !!

Yes, likewise...

Mind you I wont be buying Aussie made Carbon Fibre wheels any time soon.. They are around $15,000 a set! Might be Ok for a $100,000+ car but slight overkill for an i30...  :lol:

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach

Yes, likewise...

Mind you I wont be buying Aussie made Carbon Fibre wheels any time soon.. They are around $15,000 a set! Might be Ok for a $100,000+ car but slight overkill for an i30...  :lol:

light weight aftermarket wheels are available.... but not for $1500 (with tyres) from the local cheapo wheel and tyre emporium.

Offline Mikkantoo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia

• Adelaide Hills and beyond

Yes, likewise...

light weight aftermarket wheels are available.... but not for $1500 (with tyres) from the local cheapo wheel and tyre emporium.
Bugger, although surely they're lighter than the stock steelies that my Go came with? Because it's something I'd really love to upgrade on my i30...
  • 2018 PD 5 Door Hatch Petrol 2.0lt Manual Go Platinum Silver

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach

Yes, likewise...

Bugger, although surely they're lighter than the stock steelies that my Go came with? Because it's something I'd really love to upgrade on my i30...

take some bathroom scales and weigh some up, you might luck out.

Offline Mikkantoo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia

Can't wait to see the look on the shop assistants face when I lug in a set of scales and then proceed to completely ruin his whole day :rofl:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Can't wait to see the look on the shop assistants face when I lug in a set of scales and then proceed to completely ruin his whole day :rofl:

Oh!, and don't forget to weigh the new tyres as well  :D
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Mikkantoo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia

Oh!, and don't forget to weigh the new tyres as well  :D
:lol:

I have a feeling I would've been kicked out of the store by that point :P

However, all jokes aside, the steelies with their plastic wheel covers are not doing it for me, or the car one bit. I'd even be over the moon with the Active variant alloys at this stage.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If you're after some light weight wheels look at the KOYA's :link: Home - Koya Wheels and ENKEI's :link: Enkei Wheels | The leader in lightweight aftermarket wheels

Fully forged are obviously the lightest though you'll be looking at 5k for a set of 4 but the semi forged are a good balance between price and spec's, the 18" x 8" in a semi forged would equal or be slightly lower in weight than standard factory 16" alloys.

Semi's average $1600 a set though a good wheel shop can usually wheel & deal :wink: and get them for around $1200.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Craig. I knew this was a subject close to your heart.  :goodjob:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I have always wanted CF wheels, but too pricy. still with our rough roads, if you hit a pot hole steel preforms good!

Offline Mikkantoo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia

If you're after some light weight wheels look at the KOYA's :link: Home - Koya Wheels and ENKEI's :link: Enkei Wheels | The leader in lightweight aftermarket wheels

Fully forged are obviously the lightest though you'll be looking at 5k for a set of 4 but the semi forged are a good balance between price and spec's, the 18" x 8" in a semi forged would equal or be slightly lower in weight than standard factory 16" alloys.

Semi's average $1600 a set though a good wheel shop can usually wheel & deal :wink: and get them for around $1200.
Awesome, thank you for the links and information :goodjob:
I also think I'll forgo the fully forged jobbies...they pretty much cost just over a quarter of my cars worth :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Awesome, thank you for the links and information :goodjob:
I also think I'll forgo the fully forged jobbies...they pretty much cost just over a quarter of my cars worth :lol:

Your cheapest option is to keep the existing tyres and just get 16" Alloys to suit the i30. You should be able to get a set of 4 that are no heavier (and maybe lighter) than the original steel wheels for around $600 the set fitted.

The other option is keep your eye on Ebay and Gumtree for someone selling a set of new or near new i30 or other model Hyundai wheels they have replaced when the car was new. From experience, 2nd hand alloys aren't that easy to sell on Ebay so you will probably get a bargain. If you get 16" ones with near new tyres for say $600 you can keep your existing tyres in storage for when they wear out (win/win)  :victory:

Offline Mikkantoo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia

That's another option I'm actually already monitoring. There's been few guys on FB who've had wheels for sale but so far they've only been interstate, and I'd rather eyeball the goods before handing over cash.
I'm also thinking that maybe wreckers might be good place to suss out for factory alloys...

And yes, Daz, that's a pretty good win/win and probably the best and cheapest option for now :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's another option I'm actually already monitoring. There's been few guys on FB who've had wheels for sale but so far they've only been interstate, and I'd rather eyeball the goods before handing over cash.
I'm also thinking that maybe wreckers might be good place to suss out for factory alloys...

And yes, Daz, that's a pretty good win/win and probably the best and cheapest option for now :goodjob:

We've gone the Bob Jane T-mart option a several times when you could get quite nice alloys for $99 (15") on Trish's previous cars including a Getz, Tiida and i30 CW with pretty good results. We generally go with the spokey designs which are probably lighter than some of the dish styles.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@Mikkantoo  Here's a link to the Gallery with our CW.

We swapped the wheels twice over the 4 years! Photos of both styles shown.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;pic=12

Offline Mikkantoo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia

We've gone the Bob Jane T-mart option a several times when you could get quite nice alloys for $99 (15") on Trish's previous cars including a Getz, Tiida and i30 CW with pretty good results. We generally go with the spokey designs which are probably lighter than some of the dish styles.
First place I searched :lol:
I'm partial to the spokey designs as well (like the Enkei Kojin's I found through Craig's link above). They're sooo purdy :cool:

Thanks for the link, too. Nothing wrong with those shoes, that's for sure! :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal