90,000km service ... gave it a go.

stkman · 3 · 2690

Offline stkman

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, NZ

• 2008 1.6 cRDi manual Elite in Stone Black
Hi All,

3 year warrenty ended at 75,000km and am now at 90,000km so decided to do oil and oil filter change, fuel filter change and will have local mechanic change brake fluid (did every 2 years in previous car).

Bought an Hyundai oil filter for $48, then checked alternative filters (bought original so I could compare). Ryco do one, $33 from Repco and $22 from Supercheap, neither in stock! Thought I would try Partmaster ... used their filters for my previous car and they seemd fine ... they had a couple in stock and they were $15 each. I bought both.

The genuine filter is on the right. Both supplied with o-rings, could see light through the filter material, greater light transmission through the genuine one! Both made in Korea. Fairly impressive warranty printed on the Partmaster filter box. I intend changing oil and filter every 10,000km as I tow a small trailer plus 1 or 2 motorcycles regularly. Light duty towing but oil and filters relatively cheap (use Castrol Edge 0-40 full synthetic ... meets ACEA C3 which is not required as no particulate filter in NZ).

Genuine diesel filter was over $160!!!! Ryco again do one, $98 at Repco, didn't even bother going in. Partmaster again, $68 but he remembered me from oil filter purchase and said he could do better. Got down to $46. And it was a Ryco filter! How can Repco justify that?

Easiest and least messy oil and filter change I have even done.

Diesel filter was a little trickier ... took about 30-40 minutes all up but went well. Pumped the diesel in with the manual pump to fill the filter and it started straight up. Let it idle for a while and no leaks  :happydance: Thanks to Simon@mgr for his overview of changing the fuel filter   https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=5578.msg60293#msg60293
Plan on changing this filter every 30,000km.

Andrew
  • 2008 1.6 manual diesel Elite

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Great post stkman thanks  :goodjob: (Bit of a coincidence as Rusty Nutz only asked if we had any NZ members earlier today)  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline stkman

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, NZ

• 2008 1.6 cRDi manual Elite in Stone Black
From the numbers of i30s I now see on the road here, there should be a few more members!

And the i30s are basically the same price as the Mazda 3s and the Corollas ... people are buying them because they prefer them.

Pity about NZs archaic diesel tax system which really does penalise owners of fuel efficient diesels  :(

Andrew
  • 2008 1.6 manual diesel Elite

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal