i30 Owners Club

2 year service cost - CRDI

i30CRDI · 65 · 22205

Pip
I've just been ringing around for 2 year/30k service.

Quotes from $490 (Ultratune) to $590 (dealers). They all say they will replace the fuel filter but my service schedule book has it down for every 60k, not 30k.

Well, had it done at Makin and Luby. Clean waiting lounge with a decent TV so I could watch the cricket. :D

Bottom line: $239. In addition to that I supplied oil. So about $310 all up.

They agreed to not replace the fuel filter so that saved another $100 or so. I was told that the service schedule for the FF has been amended for Oz but they seemed happy to leave it so long as it was noted as an exclusion on the docket.

It's a good deal I think and they were professional with their approach.  :goodjob::goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sounds like fair deal Pip... :razz:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline krouton

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• MY10 SLX CRDi 5Sp - Hyper Silver
I'm up for my 15,000km (had the car 6 months) and have been quoted $310 from the dealer. If I was to go to another log book servicer, would they be able to look at things like the clutch that seems to 'jut' into 1st if I am in idle for too long under warranty and such?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm up for my 15,000km (had the car 6 months) and have been quoted $310 from the dealer. If I was to go to another log book servicer, would they be able to look at things like the clutch that seems to 'jut' into 1st if I am in idle for too long under warranty and such?

You will need to get the warranty stuff looked at by a Hyundai Dealer..

By all means get your service done elsewhere (by the book) at a good mechanic that you trust.. and then take it to the dealer for your free warranty adjustments/repairs.  :idea:

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
My diesel had its 30000km service last Saturday. After being quoted $600 from Hyundai I decided to have it done by an independent mechanic (Thanks, Lakes for allowing me to borrow your mechanic). He is great!

I supplied a genuine Hyundai oil filter, Mobil 1 0W-40 oil and an aftermarket (Sakura) diesel fuel filter.
The total cost was less than a third of what my local Hyundai workshop is charging.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 12:15:50 by Paolo5 »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sounds like a great deal Paolo  :goodjob:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
My diesel had its 30000km service last Saturday. After being quoted $600 from Hyundai I decided to have it done by an independent mechanic (Thanks, Lakes for allowing me to borrow your mechanic). He is great!

I supplied a genuine Hyundai oil filter, Mobil 1 0W-40 oil and an aftermarket (Sakura) diesel fuel filter.
The total cost was less than a third of what my local Hyundai is charging.

If it's not a rude question, how much did the fuel filter set you back?

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi Rustynutz,
It was $19.95. A Japanese brand made in Malaysia. I was told by the guy at Bullseye that they are original equipment in Toyotas.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Hi Rustynutz,
It was $19.95. A Japanese brand made in Malaysia. I was told by the guy at Bullseye that they are original equipment in Toyotas.

Wow! what a bargain. I was quoted $120 for a genuine Hyundai filter....Will be interesting to see how it goes.... :goodjob:

Cheers  :D

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I will keep you informed in this thread.

Cheers

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

I supplied a genuine Hyundai oil filter, Mobil 1 0W-40 oil .

Hyundai recommend that 0W-40 oil is NOT suitable except in countries with very low temperatures and never for high speed or heavy load driving....it's too thin.

I have a Hyundai approved service programme - 5 services (one a year in the U.K.) - for £1008 (54 monthly payments of £18.66) that's an average of £200 each.  Can be cancelled at anytime or transferred to a new owner.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

I have a Hyundai approved service programme - 5 services (one a year in the U.K.) - for £1008 (54 monthly payments of £18.66) that's an average of £200 each.  Can be cancelled at anytime or transferred to a new owner.

Does it include 3 MOT's?
If not then on par with paying as you go.
I've had 4 services circa £770.00 and 5th next year is a splash and dash service circa estimate for next year @ £150.00 = £920.00.

Plus 3 MOT's at discount rate. Up to now had 2 @ £27.00 and expect next years to be £27.00 or if it goes up no more than full rate say £55.00.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Pip
Hyundai recommend that 0W-40 oil is NOT suitable except in countries with very low temperatures and never for high speed or heavy load driving....it's too thin.

Is this a reference to Mobil 1 0w40 only?

Do you have a link or other supporting information for this?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

We don't have particularly low temperatures in Australia yet 0W40 oil seems to have the all clear from Hyundai Australia.
I use Castrol Edge 0W40 myself...... :cool:

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

We don't have particularly low temperatures in Australia yet 0W40 oil seems to have the all clear from Hyundai Australia.

Going by those lists only Penrite 0W-40  oil to C3 requirement for the diesel with  particulate filter.

Cars without particulate filters have different oils listed.

Perhaps we are not referring to the same engines?  My car is Czech built 1600 85Kw diesel with DPF.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Does it include 3 MOT's?
If not then on par with paying as you go.
I've had 4 services circa £770.00 and 5th next year is a splash and dash service circa estimate for next year @ £150.00 = £920.00.

Plus 3 MOT's at discount rate. Up to now had 2 @ £27.00 and expect next years to be £27.00 or if it goes up no more than full rate say £55.00.

The problem was when buying the car that I couldn't get the prices quickly  for the next four years servicing  which, anyway, would have increased in that time, so I took a guess that £1000 would be about right based on my wife's Getz and my previous  Terracans.  Your costs are at the prices  which were current over the past three years so I don't think I will be out of pocket. As I am paying monthly about the correct amount will have accrued by each service date.  Been buying new cars every two/three years since the 70's and used to do all my own servicing after the first year but  since buying Hyundais with  the 5 year warranty I have had to relent and pay the cost much as it grieves me.  After 8 years and three Hyundais I still haven't made a warranty claim.
MoTs are not included but I won't need one until the end of year three.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Going by those lists only Penrite 0W-40  oil to C3 requirement for the diesel with  particulate filter.

Cars without particulate filters have different oils listed.

Perhaps we are not referring to the same engines?  My car is Czech built 1600 85Kw diesel with DPF.

That's not a definitive list of suitable oils for the i30 CRDi here in Australia.

Because our CRDi's don't have a particulate filter fitted our oils only need to meet the ACEA B4 standard.
And although that list shows Castrol Edge 0W 40 in the ACEA B4 column, I can assure you it also meets ACEA C3, it also says it is suitable for vehicles with DPF's....  :goodjob:

Offline ithurtydeesl

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Latrobe Valley, Victoria
G'day all, well the little oiler has had its first service at the local Repco Authorised Service Centre, A local shop that has been there for years. The cost with me supplying Castrol Edge 0w40 was $162.00 including a new set of wiper blades.. Not too bad i thought.. Cheers Gaz.
  • SLX Diesel Auto

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Sounds pretty reasonable, Gaz.... :goodjob:

Were your wipers stuffed or did they just fit them because they could?  The reason I ask is that that seems to be fairly common practice with some garages etc.  :undecided:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Sounds pretty reasonable, Gaz.... :goodjob:

Were your wipers stuffed or did they just fit them because they could?  The reason I ask is that that seems to be fairly common practice with some garages etc.  :undecided:

That's a good point Rusty. Speaking as someone who gets involved in that practice I can tell you that the better garages tend to do it because most cars have really ineffective wiper blades which as you would be aware are extremely dangerous in the wet.
So, you see a car maybe once every 6 to 12 months to do a service and for the small amount they cost it's good preventative maintenance to replace them before they become a problem.
Unless they're a regular customer we do tend to mention then as we're taking delivery of the car though.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
While I see your point, Trev.....I reckon they should at least have the courtesy of asking first. 

I helped a friend some years back by fitting new wipers on her Commodore yet the following week she had her car serviced and yep, they replaced the wipers.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

While I see your point, Trev.....I reckon they should at least have the courtesy of asking first. 

I helped a friend some years back by fitting new wipers on her Commodore yet the following week she had her car serviced and yep, they replaced the wipers.

That (Your example above) would pi$$ me off big time Rusty ...  :mad:

I agree with you on this one...I tell them not to do anything that is not in the scheduled service without asking me first...  :undecided:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

That (Your example above) would pi$$ me off big time Rusty ...  :mad:

I agree with you on this one...I tell them not to do anything that is not in the scheduled service without asking me first...  :undecided:
Agreed. i had that happen to me with the Liberty I had in Sydney. And the replacement ones squeaked. :evil:
But I DID say we alk about it if they aren't regulars. The regulars are happy for us to do what's necessary and just let them know if there's something out of th eordinary.
But Geez at the end of the day, we're talking about 12 bucks.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'm glad some places do the right thing, Trev but 12 bucks is 12 bucks and If these places do it to every customer it soon mounts up.....
And, at the end of the day it's fraud.... :mad:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'm glad some places do the right thing, Trev but 12 bucks is 12 bucks and If these places do it to every customer it soon mounts up.....
And, at the end of the day it's fraud.... :mad:
It's only fraud if they insist on being paid for it Rusty. It's easy to say when the car is picked up something along the lines of, We replaced your wiper blades, too. They were smearing the screen. They add $12 to the bill. Is that OK?"
And I would suggest your use of the word "fraud' in such a case is perhaps not quite legally correct.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Trev,

I would not be too stressed if they only charged be $12 including labour to switch them particularly if I noticed an improvement in how they operated  :goodjob:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Trev,

I would not be too stressed if they only charged be $12 including labour to switch them particularly if I noticed an improvement in how they operated  :goodjob:

True Dazz. We see it as a service rather than an add-on.
But these days we have to be careful. Mazdas, Subaru in particular don't react too well to the cheapie replacements. So with those the cost can be much greater and obviously something you talk to the customer about first.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
It's only fraud if they insist on being paid for it Rusty. It's easy to say when the car is picked up something along the lines of, We replaced your wiper blades, too. They were smearing the screen. They add $12 to the bill. Is that OK?"
And I would suggest your use of the word "fraud' in such a case is perhaps not quite legally correct.

If it's been added to the bill, I would say they are wanting you to pay it....
It would be the same if they replaced any other part that wasn't faulty and then attempted to slug you for it.....

So, if it's not fraud, what would you call it...deception? theft? scam? creative accounting?

fraud  (frɔːd)   
— n   
1.  deliberate deception, trickery, or cheating intended to gain an advantage 
2.  an act or instance of such deception 
3.  something false or spurious: his explanation was a fraud   
4.  informal  a person who acts in a false or deceitful way   
[C14: from Old French fraude , from Latin fraus  deception] 

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

If it's been added to the bill, I would say they are wanting you to pay it....
It would be the same if they replaced any other part that wasn't faulty and then attempted to slug you for it.....

So, if it's not fraud, what would you call it...deception? theft? scam? creative accounting?

fraud  (frɔːd)   
— n   
1.  deliberate deception, trickery, or cheating intended to gain an advantage 
2.  an act or instance of such deception 
3.  something false or spurious: his explanation was a fraud   
4.  informal  a person who acts in a false or deceitful way   
[C14: from Old French fraude , from Latin fraus  deception]

Meh.
Whatever.
Call it what YOU like.
I've never been accused of fraud. Never had an issue with a customer which couldn't be resolved with discussion.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal