i30 Owners Club

IT LOCKS ITSELF - IT'S MAGIC!!

Dave · 68 · 33384

Offline Dave

• 2nd Gear
 Always finding something new!  I got out of the I30 leaving my key on the seat.  Came back 10 minutes later and the car was locked  GRRR   So at least I had in the house my second key I had purchased for $400 and opened the car,
     So as a test I stood by the car and LO, after about 5 minutes KER KLUNCK UNK  It locked itself.
       So another reason that Hyundai should give us a spare fob key.
        Just by the way I have had the car for 5 months and driving up through Sydney and going into shopping centrer car parks, I have never seen another i30.  Maybe the negative key attitude is cruelling sales?
        It is however a wonderfull car to drive and I call it the little big car!

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi Dave,

Thats weird Dave, that it would lock itself. :?
I mean if you leave the car unlocked, it should remain unlocked all day.  We leave ours sitting unlocked in our garage all the time. Why leaving a key in the vechile should change this makes no sense. I'd have your service department look at that.

Offline Shame

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia

• Petrol 2.0 Silver SLX
I thought the auto-lock only occured if you unlocked the car and didn't open any doors? I might see if my car also auto-locks after 5 minutes of just sitting there.

Offline jayem

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
while we're on the subject of ''auto-locking'', does everyone's HALO work? Just to recap, HALO is Hyundai's anti car-jacking system whereby when you reach 40 kph, the doors will lock automatically.  I've test-driven four i30's and not once did it go off(on).  I wonder if they've been disabled only for the test drive cars.

Offline jayem

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
...ok never mind....I just read the "HALO" thread.  Thanks anyways. lol  I will post on the other thread

Offline Chemist

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Croatia

• Croatia
Quote from: "Dave"
:mrgreen: Always finding something new!  I got out of the I30 leaving my key on the seat.  Came back 10 minutes later and the car was locked  GRRR   So at least I had in the house my second key I had purchased for $400 and opened the car...

I sometimes live my key in the car for a few hours and it stays unlocked...  :?:

Offline encountar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
HALO works on my far past the 40 k's
I have noticed 2 things with the auto-lock feature
If you lock your car, and than unlock it... the car will relock itself (i think only if you dont actually open a door i didnt test that too much)
If you dont lock your door, it wont lock.. ever... tested overnight :)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Can someone try a little exercise? (Nowhere near Fergie at the mo so I can't)
 :idea:
Try removing the key from the ignition and leaving on the drivers seat within 2 feet of the ignition barrel. Then close the drivers door. I have a feeling it might be this proximity to the transponder that's causing the "it locks itself" issue
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
OK Shambles,

Have tried just that, Give it few minutes and I will get back to you with a answer.

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
OK...Its been 25 mins..The result
Drum roll please......................................................................... .....Car remains unlocked.

ouri30
I tried it too - remains unlocked.

I opened car.  Put key in ignition.  Switched it on, then off.  Removed key and left it on the drivers seat.  Closed door and went back in 30 minutes.  Car was still unlocked.

However, I have noticed that if I use the remote unlock button when the car is unlocked, then walk away, the car locks itself after a given time (haven't actually timed it).

Bob

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thanks Eyma & Bob.

I'll try mine tonight when I get home.

Reason for asking is that this is not the first time (or forum) that I've read this problem, and not just with an i30  :?:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Hi Guys

Not sure about the locking itself after it has been driven, but if I unlock mine but do not open a door within about 45 secs it locks itself again.

Have not tried any other experiments as I have only one plipper (just about to start the hassle of trying to get a second one, not holding out much hope from my dealer though, Arnold Shark have not got the best of reputations for after sales service!! :( )

Cheers
Brian
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I've just turned Fergie on, then removed the key and left on the seat.

Will go check in 30 mins.

Brian - ask your dealership nicely about the second remote. Hyundai UK Motors Ltd classify the request as "changing the specification of the vehicle following purchase", but I had success obtaining a free one. I took my complaint to the top. If you don't get anywhere with Arnold Shark let me know and I'll give you some tips, but do read the other thread regarding help getting a second plipper :)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Well, no autolocking here. Even hung the keys over the right hand stalk.. nothing.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Once unlocked and any door or hatch opened mine only locks if I press the lock symbol on remote.

If I press unlock but don't open any door or hatch the car automatically relockes after 1 minute.

Dave, need to take yours to dealers pront before it happens when the spare isn't handy.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: "eye30"
Dave, need to take yours to dealers pront before it happens when the spare isn't handy.
Best advice on the thread.

I've been trying to research this phenomena and found a few googles mentioning ignition barrel door locking, on Hyundai models. Still researching...

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Cheers Shambles will let you know how I get on!!

Brian

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Dave, can you try this for me please?

From a forum that needed some serious translation (hence I won't post the link here) can you go to your machine and press both the lock & unlock buttons simultaneously for a couple of seconds?

If what I interpreted is correct, and you have the ignition barrel system engaged, this will turn it off. If the poster is correct you should be greeted by a couple of flashes of the hazard lights. To re-engage, repeat the pushing thing which should show up as a single flash of the hazards.

I'm really curious about this now.

Bob: Fancy trying this on yours? It did nothing on Fergie - no response at all.
Eye30: How about you?

Disclaimer: the poster of this entry accepts no liability if your vehicle fails to respond to any further commands, after this experiment

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Dave, mine has done that twice now (Re HALO thread)

Shambles, will try the two button press today, whilst at work. (What is it meant to enable/disable ?)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: "Thumper"
Shambles, will try the two button press today, whilst at work. (What is it meant to enable/disable ?)
I don't know.

ouri30
Bob: Fancy trying this on yours? It did nothing on Fergie - no response at all.

Shambles,

Tried the two button method and got no response.  

In short, ouri30 does not lock itself with or without the key left it.  And I can't activate this feature with a two button press as you describe.

The exceptiona are:

When I press the unlock button and walk away, a minute later it locks itself.  I like this feature as it locks the car even if I press the wrong button by mistake after getting out.

When I press the unlock button and fail to open a door within 30 seconds.

When I use the tailgate unlock and then close the tailgate.  (Be careful with this and don't leave your keys  in the back.)

Bob

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Ok, spanner in the works here.

As above (ouri30) exactly the same.

Yet, here is an extra step, start the engine, drive up to a speed where the doors auto lock, pull over, open the drivers door whilst engine is still running, hop out, close door.

Within 2 minutes the door auto locks.

Repeated this several times.

Though if I stop the engine, start it again, drive off but at a slower speed so the doors do not auto lock, pull over, leave the engine running, open the door, get out, close the door, no auto locking.

I'll have the system looked at during the next service (Which is rapidly approaching)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Shambles,

Tried the two button method and got no response.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thanks eye30, I think Thumper is on the right tracks

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Hi Folks

Just had Hyundai Customer Services on the phone who have arranged for my second plipper to be delivered to Arnold Shark in about a weeks time who will then contact me to come in for programming. :o

Only required one polite phone call to CS yesterday highlighting the issue with the emergency key activating the alarm and that these forums exist advising owners how to deal with the problem, so many many thanks to all on this and HOC forums for smoothing the path for me :D

Cheers
Brian

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Another  RESULT, bumpkin

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Glad we could be of assistance, if indeed we were  :mrgreen:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
hi Bumpkin... great result  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline echocae

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
to deactivate the auto DOOR lock (when unlocking) go to Hyundai service center and tell them to disable alarm auto locking system (NOT- HALO system).

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal