i30 Owners Club

Problem with the GPS in the new GD

jimmy_s · 147 · 60665

Offline mike481050

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba
Have an i40 Premium Sedan with all the same Sat nav issues mentioned here.

Have had the unit flashed by the dealer to stop the "Update your maps message" coming up which was successful. Interested to see if Hyundai corrects any of these other issues with an update in the near future.

Also had an issue with bluetooth linkup for a second phone. When paired the second phone would not actually work with the unit although it said it was paired. Seemed to have solved the issue after three weeks of trying different things by changing the passkey on the unit before pairing the second phone.

Both phones now download their phonebooks and recent call history and you can select either where only the first phone paired would work previously.

Cheers

Mike
  • Hyundai I40 Premium Sedan

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Mike.... thanks for that  :goodjob:

The i40 Premium sedan is an awesome car to look at and be in.. was just a little disappointed with the performance.. how do you find it? What did you drive before, if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry for the off topic peeps  :-[ :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mike481050

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba
Mitsubishi 380 vrx which I still have. 2007 model with 15 months factory warranty still to go. Manic performance if you open the taps with good handling but likes to use fuel around town. Great car on a long trip.

I never considered the i40 because I thought it would be too slow. One test drive was enough to change my mind. Tows my 1300kg boat with no issues at all. On the highway 5.5 ltrs per 100 is easily achievable. 9.0 ltrs around town. Fully equipped , quiet, good performance and nice ride. Love it!!!

Cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's great feedback thanks .. Bit thirsty around town though (for me)  :eek:

Great looking car (one of the nicest on the road IMO)  :goodjob2:

Offline marty62

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Southern Highlands, NSW
I just received the below in response to my earlier post dated on: August 24, 2012, 01:12:36 . I am pleased they are looking into most of it. My comments in red.

Dear Mr. Martin,

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Customer Care.

We have sent your email directly to our product planning division for feedback, please see their response in below relation to your email.

1.)    this is not common in factory fit navigation systems, but we are studying for future models I think they are refering to other makes ie Mazda dont have it either. I am going to drop into Mazda and Holden and check the Mazda 3 and Cruze nav set up

2.)    I’m not sure what is being requested, perhaps an example would help with our product development (competitor product or description) I thought it was pretty clear what I was asking,

3.)    this update should have been conducted during pre delivery. (Contact dealer)

4.)    GPS clock has been identified and is being discussed with the manufacture.

1.)    lack of Bluetooth voice recognition? We will investigate.

Overall, we’re confident that our system is class leading at this price point and I welcome comparisons with competitor products. While the customer may believe a ‘supermarket’ bought system will out-perform his unit, it is simply untrue. Our system exhibits many strengths over and above a portable navigation device, most important of which is dead-reckoning.

Dead-reckoning utilises the vehicles speed signal and a 3D gyroscope to ensure the vehicle does not get lost. This means it always has an accurate location at cold start (prior to satellites gaining full lock), it does not drop-out in tunnels or underground car-parks, and it maintains its location and is able to arrive at destinations in dense city areas, forests and gorges - a portable device absolutely cannot achieve this.
Our full package of SUNA live traffic, NAVTEQ MapCare plan, reversing camera, speed limits, school zones, camera warnings, 3D landmarks, etc…, is quite simply unmatched in this segment. We welcome comparisons with all competitors, Golf, Mazda3, Corolla, Cruze, anything anyone cares to choose.

We would recommend that your system be inspected by your local Hyundai dealer for any updates, or have the dealer escalate any technical concerns directly to Technical Support via Hyundai Head Office.

Once again, thank you for contacting Hyundai Customer Care and supplying us with your feedback.

Kind regards,
  Mark Cooper
  Customer Care Officer-Senior
  Hyundai Motor Company Australia
  Phone   :  1800 186 306
  mailto   :  customercare@hyundai.com.au
  Web     :  www.hyundai.com.au

• GD PREMIUM 1.6

Offline Robbo123

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia

• 2012 Hyundai i30 Elite
I just received the below in response to my earlier post dated on: August 24, 2012, 01:12:36 . I am pleased they are looking into most of it. My comments in red.

1.)    this is not common in factory fit navigation systems, but we are studying for future models I think they are refering to other makes ie Mazda dont have it either. I am going to drop into Mazda and Holden and check the Mazda 3 and Cruze nav set up

The Mazda 3 does not have turn by turn. However the new Mazda CX5 does have turn by turn (it has a built in TomTom unit)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

They sound a bit smug (and unrealistic) about how good the system is..

Don't you hate that when they sidestep or ignore you main messages ..

I am having a similar issue with Jetstar at the moment  :twisted:

Offline jimmy_s

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
2.)    I’m not sure what is being requested, perhaps an example would help with our product development (competitor product or description) I thought it was pretty clear what I was asking,

[/color]

Point 2 Is the one that bugs me most, e.g. I am on the radio screen and I hear a slight beep, what the heck, do I navigate back to the GPS screen to see what's up!

I think writing a letter to a leading motoring magazine cc this clown might get some more interest.

Maybe email him this URL https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=16497

Jim.

Offline marty62

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Southern Highlands, NSW

Point 2 Is the one that bugs me most, e.g. I am on the radio screen and I hear a slight beep, what the heck, do I navigate back to the GPS screen to see what's up!

I think writing a letter to a leading motoring magazine cc this clown might get some more interest.

Maybe email him this URL https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=16497

Jim.
Same as you Jim, this point is a problem, as it can confuse the driver and be a distraction.
2. No spoken warning's, only beeps, unable to disable individual warnings, all or none it appears. To see what actual warning it is that is “beeping”, you need to look at the screen, which is very “busy” with other visual warnings.
I thought point 2 was very clear, I have resent with more clarification on what the issue is. I feel they know what I am asking, but will not recognise it is an issue. Do the European models have this problem???
I am more than happy to email the URL if an administrator/moderator says it's ok??
  • GD PREMIUM 1.6

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yep it is fine to share the URL  :goodjob2: (I fixed your quote too)  :cool:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

Jim.
Same as you Jim, this point is a problem, as it can confuse the driver and be a distraction.
2. No spoken warning's, only beeps, unable to disable individual warnings, all or none it appears. To see what actual warning it is that is “beeping”, you need to look at the screen, which is very “busy” with other visual warnings.
I thought point 2 was very clear, I have resent with more clarification on what the issue is. I feel they know what I am asking, but will not recognise it is an issue. Do the European models have this problem???
I am more than happy to email the URL if an administrator/moderator says it's ok??

I think you should send a reply stating your feelings on how the 1st email was handled. Let them know you're not a fool and don't appreciate replies that don't address your specific concerns.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

My clock starts an hour late each time the car is turned on and then updates to the correct time, normally within 5mins. I suspect that the clock is based on the GPS time and asked the dealer to change the default time to Qld but they had no idea how to do this....😳

Have you tried manually setting the timezone as opposed to "auto setting" the clock?
It's this screen (Menu->More-> Settings->Regional->Time Zone)
The screen looks like this:

I have tried manually setting the Time Zone but it still changes (trying to work out where in the world it is it appears).

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Has anyone managed to get the SUNA traffic updates to work?

Offline marty62

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Southern Highlands, NSW
Mine appears to update as everytime I travel to work it has different "events", if that is what you are asking? Are ou in the coverage area for your city. I am in the Southern highlands in NSW and it does not cover my local area, only lets me know whats doing when I get to liverpool when traveling into the city
  • GD PREMIUM 1.6

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Mine appears to update as everytime I travel to work it has different "events", if that is what you are asking? Are ou in the coverage area for your city. I am in the Southern highlands in NSW and it does not cover my local area, only lets me know whats doing when I get to liverpool when traveling into the city

Yeah I think that is it. I don't know if mine is 'configured', does not appear so when I go into the settings (which normally results in the system freezing). I definitely don't get any events that I am aware of, and I just checked their coverage and Brisbane is listed. I might hit you up for some screen shots of your settings at some stage if I have no luck 😉 thanks for the response 👍

Offline marty62

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Southern Highlands, NSW
Will do some screen shots when at work on Friday.
  • GD PREMIUM 1.6

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Service manager suggested a replacement unit due to my freezing and Bluetooth issues. Will probably have it in next week to get it done so will report back on performance, issues, and version of the new unit.

On a side note from another thread they are also going I check my low beam lights again.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Service manager suggested a replacement unit due to my freezing and Bluetooth issues. Will probably have it in next week to get it done so will report back on performance, issues, and version of the new unit.

On a side note from another thread they are also going I check my low beam lights again.

:goodjob:

Offline Waja

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW, Australia

• Hyundai i30 CRDi '07 100,000km
Recently I went with my girlfriend as she is looking for a new i30 and the first thing I noticed was that the navigation system is using iGo Primo just with a changed loading screen. I currently have that running in my 7" GPS in my 07 i30. If you want to have the street names to be pronounced and for verbal announcements when speeding you need to install extra voice files for TTS (text to speech). You can download those files from fixmygps.info or austech.info but firstly you need to work out how to access the memory/access the WinCE desktop to transfer the files across via USB.

You should be able to get a registry editor and bypass the shell to access WinCE desktop and then transfer files across, change the shell to what you want and boot any GPS software e.g. iGo 8 or navman or tomtom just through downloading the files from elsewhere. But if something goes wrong it won't be covered by warranty for your stereo.

Offline marty62

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Southern Highlands, NSW

Stikman, Good to hear they r going to resolve the problems for u. What are the bluetooth issues you are having? Did u get the suna working in it.
  • GD PREMIUM 1.6

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
Waja's post fills me with hope for many possibilities for the GPS unit.

One thing I HATE is the disclaimer you have to agree to EVERY time you get in your car to drive; I may keep this car for 10 years, I get the risks, can't we dismiss that message permanently somehow?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My garmin does that Disclaimer every time but it fades by itself  :undecided:

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Stikman, Good to hear they r going to resolve the problems for u. What are the bluetooth issues you are having? Did u get the suna working in it.

A couple of times it has thought it was still connected to my wifes phone when it was no longer in the car or within range. This prevents it from connecting to mine. It is also hit and miss on auto connecting even when set up with the phone (auto connects to mine 90% of the time but occassionally just looks for my wifes then gives up all together  :'()

SUNA still not showing anything. When i click on the settings button and click Traffic the system freezes and i cannot access that menu. If i access Traffic settings from within the GPS Software i am not getting a Provider List or option to configure one. Is this the same on yours? The scanning 0MHz also seems to indicate it is not working.

The following also looks like confirmation on the iGO9/Primo software being used, which should mean all the 'features' we feel are missing could be available if Hyundai choose to include them. This is a backup file generated onto my inserted USB stick (that i use for music) when i navigated to the update option within the GPS.

Not sure that it would be as easy as adding the required files to this directory and going back in and clicking on update, or if they have a program that gives this access (more likely).

Offline marty62

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Southern Highlands, NSW
Stikman, I cant load any pics, and am unable to find the thread on how to again. Basically mine say 106.5 mhz and is full of events, also when I go to the providers screen it says SUNA, PAID.
I am going to pair my wifes phone tomorrow and see how it goes. About 1 in 5 times mine wont pair when i get in the car, I have to push the answer button on the steering wheel.
  • GD PREMIUM 1.6

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Stikman, I cant load any pics, and am unable to find the thread on how to again. Basically mine say 106.5 mhz and is full of events, also when I go to the providers screen it says SUNA, PAID.
I am going to pair my wifes phone tomorrow and see how it goes. About 1 in 5 times mine wont pair when i get in the car, I have to push the answer button on the steering wheel.

Thanks for that, definitely appears mine has not been set up. Will see how the new unit goes I guess. 👍

Offline mike481050

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba
Just realized today after you turn off vehicle Bluetooth on our phones htc desire and iPhone 4s remain connected on the phone until you get out of range of the vehicle. Not a big deal but unusual in my experience. If you are streaming music via Bluetooth the music keeps progressing on your phone (but no sound) until you move away (about 30 meters ) from the car and stops as soon as the Bluetooth disconnects.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Just realized today after you turn off vehicle Bluetooth on our phones htc desire and iPhone 4s remain connected on the phone until you get out of range of the vehicle. Not a big deal but unusual in my experience. If you are streaming music via Bluetooth the music keeps progressing on your phone (but no sound) until you move away (about 30 meters ) from the car and stops as soon as the Bluetooth disconnects.

Very unusual in my experience too  :undecided:

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie

my phone seems to disconnect pretty quickly.

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Interesting update on my exchange unit today........response from dealer service manager.

'they are currently holding off on exchange unit’s pending some software updates'

No ETA but hopefully this means they are doing something about our 'concerns' and we will have a resolution to at least some of them shortly 👍

Probably an opportune time to get as much feedback to them as possible 😉

I will be sending Hyundai Australia another email tonight.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good one Stikman  :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal