i30 Owners Club

Video playback on GD i30-Sat Nav model

RossC · 79 · 37521

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Now that's just plain mean, Daz..... :P

I'm usually only trying to educate....I can't help it if people take things the wrong way or blame me for there being particular road rules etc that they may not agree with....  :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :winker: :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
The chances of being caught in this country, this day in age are pretty slim.
Most cars these days have large displays visible to the driver. I'm sure they won't be peering into cars to try jim-bust people for having moving pictures on a factory display.
Furthermore, most cars in Australia have tinted windows; a staggering amount darker than legal. So the chances of them seeing the display with moving pictures is slim to begin with.
And then theres the fact the police will have more of an interest in the raggedy Proton Satria, lowered with mags and different coloured guards thats parked at the lights next to you than a new, respectable i30.

-mypointofview :P

Offline VaerO

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Wagga Wagga, NSW

• WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
    • TUMBLR
 :whsaid:

Current look:

Having a bit of issues with the coloured tiles tho, they don't display correctly which is weird as the pictures of the i30 do... Also not sure on the colours, I used the colour that Windows 8 uses for each of tho subjects.

Edit: Forgot to say I can't edit any app skins because they all rely on programing skills which I don't have :P So we're stuck with a video player that says "Veloster".

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Most cars these days have large displays visible to the driver. I'm sure they won't be peering into cars to try jim-bust people for having moving pictures on a factory display.
Furthermore, most cars in Australia have tinted windows; a staggering amount darker than legal. So the chances of them seeing the display with moving pictures is slim to begin with.
And then theres the fact the police will have more of an interest in the raggedy Proton Satria, lowered with mags and different coloured guards thats parked at the lights next to you than a new, respectable i30.

This may be so, but do we really wanna be encouraging drivers to be distracted by this sort of thing?  :head_butt:

With the amount of illegal mobile phone use by drivers, I'd actually hazard a guess and say police are probably looking into cars more than ever....  :whistler:

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
:whsaid:

Current look:

Having a bit of issues with the coloured tiles tho, they don't display correctly which is weird as the pictures of the i30 do... Also not sure on the colours, I used the colour that Windows 8 uses for each of tho subjects.

Edit: Forgot to say I can't edit any app skins because they all rely on programing skills which I don't have :P So we're stuck with a video player that says "Veloster".

Looks really good :) Did you find the LG software to convert video files into a resolution that will play?

Offline VaerO

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Wagga Wagga, NSW

• TUMBLR
These is a LG program for this?! I did download a generic video converter and tried one video but it played really jerky in the car :/

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

This may be so, but do we really wanna be encouraging drivers to be distracted by this sort of thing?  :head_butt:

With the amount of illegal mobile phone use by drivers, I'd actually hazard a guess and say police are probably looking into cars more than ever....  :whistler:

Well if its any consolation, the novelty is sure to wear off.. :)

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
These is a LG program for this?! I did download a generic video converter and tried one video but it played really jerky in the car :/

The unit is made by LG electronics. I've had one apart before. They have a 800MHZ MTX processor in them from memory?
I'm pretty sure they have 256mb ram.

When Velosters were first released in the states they had the capability to play video on these same units. Hyundai's software update (that was done as part of the service) cut the ability for Veloster units to play video except through AV in.
As the i30 was released after this time, none of the i30 units had ability to play video.

The LG software is still floating around on the internet for converting the videos into optimum resolution and bit rate.
I use a mac now so I can't run the exe anymore, but I think I have a copy of it somewhere still..? Ill have to find it..

Offline VaerO

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Wagga Wagga, NSW

• TUMBLR
If you could find it that would be great! Ill do a search around the web. The video I tried playing was about 2 hours long so that might explain the lag...

Edit: Found it! This veloster forum is a great help isn't it!

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
If you could find it that would be great! Ill do a search around the web. The video I tried playing was about 2 hours long so that might explain the lag...

Edit: Found it! This veloster forum is a great help isn't it!

Swish! Thats the only reason I went on there. They have a wealth of knowledge on this unit!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Understand your enthusiasm to make the display do something it shouldn't, but please be aware that you will not be insured if the mod is made, due to the illegality of the mod. Now, although drivers say they won't be watching, an accident of any sort will see the driver totally responsible for all damage and other costs. Worst case scenario, death of another road user or child. Even if you're lucky enough not to get caught legally, it will be on your conscience morally. :fum:

I think it's a great idea for entertainment, when the car is stationery.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Understand your enthusiasm to make the display do something it shouldn't, but please be aware that you will not be insured if the mod is made, due to the illegality of the mod. Now, although drivers say they won't be watching, an accident of any sort will see the driver totally responsible for all damage and other costs. Worst case scenario, death of another road user or child. Even if you're lucky enough not to get caught legally, it will be on your conscience morally. :fum:

I think it's a great idea for entertainment, when the car is stationery.  :goodjob2:

Im not going to debate the subject. From my point of view, I love building computers, jailbreaking phones and hacking software.
To be honest, Ive watched a couple music videos on mine (not for a long time) just because its fun to get it all working.
I have a son, I would never risk his life so I know where you're coming from..

As I am super busy with life (my son) these days I do not get time to mess with this kind of stuff like I used to.

What I'd really like to get working on this display is OBD software.. My thoughts were to use a USB to OBD connecter purchased for next to nothing from Ebay to connect to the internal OBD port on the car with a USB hub, and run the drivers and OBD software off a flash drive plugged up to the hub as well.
The software would have to run on Windows CE though..? Next project...  Will see how we go for time..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I am fascinated that you people know how to do this stuff. I'm sure what has been described so far, can benefit some members, so keep up the commentary. It is very interesting to hear.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline JoeSR

• 2nd Gear
Is there any way to put the firmware back to factory settings?
  • i30 MY14 SR, Auto

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Yep, turn the nav unit off, remove the USB and click it back on again.
If it doesn't reset properly there's a tiny black button up by the left side of the cd slot to reset the unit. As the version of windows the unit runs is 'embedded' you can never wipe or damage the factory software. The maps are the only thing you can really change. The rest of the software simply runs solely off the flash drive. Hope this helps.

Offline edu553

• 1st Gear

• br Brazil
Hey guys! I know this topic has not been posted for a while, but it was very helpful for me! :goodjob2:

I was able to understand a bit more of how the nav app works on the i30. I did download the "US Veloster Wolf V1.1" but i get this error when i try to use it:

Do you guys have any ideas?

I appreciate the help (sorry about my terrible english :wacko:)
  • GD i30 1.8 2014-15 White hatch, Automatic

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sorry I can't help... but, nothing wrong with your English!  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline gibo

• 1st Gear

• it Italy
sorry but I have the same navi in my car. how you do to enter in wince 6?
  • hyundai new i30 crdi 1.6 110cv style business

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal