i30 Owners Club

Car lock symbol in dashboard Hyundai I30

uday · 71 · 48493

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I agree. Nothing in those codes to suggest an ECU swap is required, unless they already replaced the SMATRA coil and perhaps the Main relay....

Offline KL Lim

• 1st Gear

• no Norway
      Bergen
Talked with the mechanic again with help from my colleague (I don't speak Norsk). According to the chief mech, the ECU short circuit and cause the immobilizer failed. Since can't trace where the short circuit comes from, he suggest to change the ECU due to safety reason. I smell some profit making there but again I maybe wrong and it is failed ECU (unlucky). Plan to get the ECU to send to UK to recode a new unit (a lot cheaper than here). Appreciate if someone can share their thoughts here or this can be for future reference.

Cheers.
  • 2009 i30 CW 1.6 CRDi 66kW, Manual, Black

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
As your car is out of warranty, I would investigate a repair by an accredited auto electrician. In Australia, each state has car associations that accredit businesses, to make sure that work performed is undertaken by qualified personnel. It would most likely be cheaper than Hyundai.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I'm still sat on the side of the fence that replaces the SMATRA coil and relay as the next action, but if you must do something with the ECU you could send it somewhere like BBA-Reman to have it tested, they have a good reputation, but plenty of other companies exist in the UK.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: KL Lim
... Plan to get the ECU to send to UK to recode a new unit ...

If you really must do this (I'm with Lorian, regarding the pickup coil assembly) you could do worse than these guys:

:link: The ECU Doctor

I sent my father-in-law's Mitsubishi GT3000 ECU to them. They tested, repaired and returned it, for £132. Total turnaround was 3 days, from me sending it to them using 1st class post.

If they test and no fault found, they simply return it to you. Testing & return cost is quite low considering they take around an hour to do it.

If you do decide to use these people, mention beforehand that you're a member of mitsubishi-forums.com as that'll get you a 10% discount, so I discovered.

Good luck.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Quote from: KL Lim
... Plan to get the ECU to send to UK to recode a new unit ...

If you really must do this (I'm with Lorian, regarding the pickup coil assembly) you could do worse than these guys:

:link: The ECU Doctor

I sent my father-in-law's Mitsubishi GT3000 ECU to them. They tested, repaired and returned it, for £132. Total turnaround was 3 days, from me sending it to them using 1st class post.

If they test and no fault found, they simply return it to you. Testing & return cost is quite low considering they take around an hour to do it.

If you do decide to use these people, mention beforehand that you're a member of mitsubishi-forums.com as that'll get you a 10% discount, so I discovered.

Good luck.

Thats the company I was thinking of but didn't like to say as I've had no experience with them just what I have read on other forums and the reviews were good
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline KL Lim

• 1st Gear

• no Norway
      Bergen
Hi everyone,

The car was fixed :D. I decided to get my ECU fix in UK (via recommended ECU doctor by Shambles) after all the back and forth. Just when I asked Hyundai to get the ECU out for me, the technician in local Hyundai suddenly decided to open up the ECU to check. Turn out the ECU was not ground properly and caused the problem. Transponder changed and ECU grounded properly, car starts as normal.

Just a note for anyone have the same issue in future, maybe try to check if this will fix the issue, save some cash.
  • 2009 i30 CW 1.6 CRDi 66kW, Manual, Black

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :Agoodpost: :agoodidea: :thanx:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Hi everyone,

The car was fixed :D. I decided to get my ECU fix in UK (via recommended ECU doctor by Shambles) after all the back and forth. Just when I asked Hyundai to get the ECU out for me, the technician in local Hyundai suddenly decided to open up the ECU to check. Turn out the ECU was not ground properly and caused the problem. Transponder changed and ECU grounded properly, car starts as normal.

Just a note for anyone have the same issue in future, maybe try to check if this will fix the issue, save some cash.

Just shows as soon as you mention you're gonna take it away they decide to have a proper look to see whats the problem is. Glad you got it sorted :goodjob:
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :wts: :judges: :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

ECU not grounded properly? IIRC there are two or three earthing straps from the right and turret to the ECU loom.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 08:29:22 by Lorian »

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal