i30 Owners Club

[SOLVED] i30cw power loss while driving, ESP and EPS gone, radio wiped

Fi30cw2009 · 113 · 40811

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Here is picture of the steering column system in i30 1.6 petrol 2009. There is only a few components in that system. So it would make sense that they call that number 2 as a power steering pump.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Fi30cw2009

• 2nd Gear

• fi Finland
      Espoo
Just a quick update, I tried with the T40 but still couldn't find any error codes. I guess the garage might have wiped the ECU, but given that the problem came back again as soon as I took the car away, I would imagine the fault code would have re-registered. It's very strange.
  • i30cw 2009

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Don't think you'll see a C1259 code even if it is present with that T40. According to my list its not reported by the engine ECU, but one of the others. The Engine ECU only reports a lot of P codes and a few U codes, no C codes.

I don't recall (I'm getting old) but did the people who had the C1259/rack swap previously also have ESP light lit? Not just EPS?

Offline Fi30cw2009

• 2nd Gear

• fi Finland
      Espoo
I don't recall (I'm getting old) but did the people who had the C1259/rack swap previously also have ESP light lit? Not just EPS?

I was looking for threads with the same scenario as mine, so yeah, those others with the rack swap also had both ESP and EPS lights lit.
  • i30cw 2009

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I wonder if the Kia Ceed has the same "power steering pump"? I believe that Kia and Hyundai have used same parts in i30 and ceed. At leas some parts have Kia and Hyundai logos in them. Kia is more popular car here in Finland than Hyundai, so it could be easier to find second hand parts from Kia. Prices of the 2nd hand Ceed power steering pumps start around 250€. But that all depends on if they have used the same pump in Kia and Hyundai... Do Hyundai and Kia have the same part number for certain part or do they use different numbers for same parts?
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I'd be careful there as the Kia and Hy may have different steering designs, e.g. number of turns lock to lock. If they were not identical, I would imagine there would be fault codes and maybe even a fail safe drive home mode in effect. The steering shaft length may also be different, too.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good thought though Sundiz, worth further investigation maybe!  :goodjob: (subject to Phil's concerns)  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Fi30cw2009

• 2nd Gear

• fi Finland
      Espoo
I wonder if the Kia Ceed has the same "power steering pump"? I believe that Kia and Hyundai have used same parts in i30 and ceed. At leas some parts have Kia and Hyundai logos in them. Kia is more popular car here in Finland than Hyundai, so it could be easier to find second hand parts from Kia. Prices of the 2nd hand Ceed power steering pumps start around 250€. But that all depends on if they have used the same pump in Kia and Hyundai... Do Hyundai and Kia have the same part number for certain part or do they use different numbers for same parts?

I dunno about that, but I found one from a 2010 i30 1.4 for 450€ (plus shipping, since it's located somewhere a few hundred kilometers away) . I just want to confirm, to the best of your knowledge, will this be parts-compatible with my 2009 i30cw 1.6?

The part: :link: Autovahinkokeskus - Ohjauksen Tehostinpumppu HYUNDAI I30 in Finnish, but you can switch language in the top right corner.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:06:33 by Fi30cw2009 »
  • i30cw 2009

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
As long as yours is LHD I think that will work.
I would suggest putting your head down around your pedals and have a look. You should be able to see the part numbers on yours.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Does that advert tell you the history of the part (is it from a wreck or some other event) any warranty?

Offline Fi30cw2009

• 2nd Gear

• fi Finland
      Espoo
Nope, it's purely a parts listing with some technical data (you can run the link through Google Translate if that helps). I'm not even sure if they keep a record of that info, but I'll contact the seller and ask about history and warranty.

Actually if you go to photo 12 in the item's set, you can see that the car has had a driver's side mid-body collision. The airbag has clearly deployed too. I have no way of knowing if it would affect the power steering pump, or how this affects the risk involved in using such a part. However, the description says the part quality is A2/TÄYDELLINEN, NORMAALIKUNT.OSA which translates as: A2/perfect, normal condition part. Basically they're saying it's in great shape and undamaged.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:05:17 by Fi30cw2009 »
  • i30cw 2009

Offline Fi30cw2009

• 2nd Gear

• fi Finland
      Espoo
Prices of the 2nd hand Ceed power steering pumps start around 250€

From the link I posted, the original Hyundai part number is 563002L700 - I'll try and check it against my own car when I get home, but I didn't find any other parts with the same part number on that same website (avk.fi). Where have you seen these Kia Ceed power steering pumps? If they have the same part number on the label, as well as the same Hyundai/Kia logos, then I'd venture a guess that they're the same part.
  • i30cw 2009

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for clarifying that. Bit of a lottery (but you could be on a winner) :fingers:

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Prices of the 2nd hand Ceed power steering pumps start around 250€

From the link I posted, the original Hyundai part number is 563002L700 - I'll try and check it against my own car when I get home, but I didn't find any other parts with the same part number on that same website (avk.fi). Where have you seen these Kia Ceed power steering pumps? If they have the same part number on the label, as well as the same Hyundai/Kia logos, then I'd venture a guess that they're the same part.

:link: Ohjaustehostin pumppu Kia Ceed 1.6 16V CRDi 5/HB (#411892) - Autopurkaamot.com - varaosan tiedot:,897,22,313&sivu=

The part number seems to be 563001H100 with Kia. So the last numbers differ. Impossible to say what those last numbers and letters mean. Much more safer to get one with exact same number as yours. I think the 450€ version is much more reasonable solution than the +2000€ part from the dealer...

I wouldn't be worried about that the part is from crashed car. The pump itself is located inside the cabin, so small damage in the front should not be a problem.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Fi30cw2009

• 2nd Gear

• fi Finland
      Espoo
So I went and had a poke and prod in the car, but I can't find any good angle to check the label on the existing pump. Anybody got ideas about its orientation or how I can see the stickers (preferably without dismantling the dashboard)? It would be nice to totally confirm the part numbers before proceeding.

That said, I did find a barcode sticker with Daewoo's name on it, so I guess that Daewoo, Hyundai, Kia and others share a lot of parts.
  • i30cw 2009

Offline Fi30cw2009

• 2nd Gear

• fi Finland
      Espoo
I dunno about that, but I found one from a 2010 i30 1.4 for 450€ (plus shipping, since it's located somewhere a few hundred kilometers away) . I just want to confirm, to the best of your knowledge, will this be parts-compatible with my 2009 i30cw 1.6?

Well, I think I answered my own question. I searched for the part number, and I find it on 2008, 2009 and 2010 model i30s (for example, this Swedish site lists the same part number from all three years of vehicle: :link: Bildelsbasen.se - Sveriges största utbud av bildelar) so I'm 99.5% confident that it's the right one. I'm going to order it, and book a time with a mechanic to get the part changed over. Frankly, I'll just be happy when it's all done and I can start to use my poor neglected car again!  :(
  • i30cw 2009

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Got everything crossed for you.. :fingers:

Offline Fi30cw2009

• 2nd Gear

• fi Finland
      Espoo
So the part has arrived (somewhere, at some depot where I have to collect it and pay COD because the payment system wasn't working on the website of the place I got it from) and I made a garage appointment for Monday morning to get it replaced. Hopefully I'll have a working car again on Monday afternoon - only three weeks after my problem started! :(
  • i30cw 2009

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Fingers crossed all goes well for you....
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Offline Fi30cw2009

• 2nd Gear

• fi Finland
      Espoo
And so the deed is done. 300 euros for labour, meaning the total cost has dropped from the original estimate of around 2700 euros, to a delightfully manageable 865 euros. Phew! The drive back from the garage felt like I was in a whole new car (probably heightened by the fact that I've been borrowing the in-laws' auto transmission Volvo for the past few weeks). Let's just see if it all holds together now!
  • i30cw 2009

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
Well done, you're one lucky ba%#$rd. Thats a fantastisc score and a very interesting price.

Hope all stays well.  :fingers:
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I'm glad to hear the problem is fixed. Let's hope it stays this way. I believe 300€ for labour is fair price. I would believe that removing and reassembly of the pump will take several hours. At least you got the job done with much more reasonable price than the dealer suggested.

Were there any signs in the broken part that what was actually broken? Mechanical wear? Burned electronics?
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Fi30cw2009

• 2nd Gear

• fi Finland
      Espoo
I'm glad to hear the problem is fixed. Let's hope it stays this way. I believe 300€ for labour is fair price. I would believe that removing and reassembly of the pump will take several hours. At least you got the job done with much more reasonable price than the dealer suggested.

Were there any signs in the broken part that what was actually broken? Mechanical wear? Burned electronics?

Well, I dropped the car off in the morning at 7:30, and they messaged me around 12:30 that it was ready to be picked up, so that's less than five hours. I'm guessing something like 100 euros an hour, but the bill isn't itemised for that.

Regarding the part itself, I'm not sure because I had to rush away elsewhere, but I still have the old part in the back of the car. It was fairly grimy and a bit rusty. If you're interested in looking at it in more detail, you're welcome to stop by and pick it up  :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 19:13:18 by Fi30cw2009 »
  • i30cw 2009

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Finnish branch of i30ownersclub had a meeting today. In other words I met Fi30cw2009 on a parking lot in a freezing rain  :D.

He was very kind and gave the old broken power steering assembly to me for closer inspection. I'll try to find out what actually broke or caused the malfunction (and is it possible to fix it). It has some mild rust on the surface, but should be OK. Moving and sliding surfaces seem to be fairly clean and lubricated. At first look the mechanical structure is pretty solid. Lots of screws to open...

I got to go pick my tools from the garage tomorrow and disasseble this unit properly. I'll guess I try opening it tomorrow. Or at least in the weekend.

The patient:

• i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Finnish branch of i30ownersclub had a meeting today. In other words I met Fi30cw2009 on a parking lot in a freezing rain  :D.

He was very kind and gave the old broken power steering assembly to me for closer inspection. I'll try to find out what actually broke or caused the malfunction (and is it possible to fix it). It has some mild rust on the surface, but should be OK. Moving and sliding surfaces seem to be fairly clean and lubricated. At first look the mechanical structure is pretty solid. Lots of screws to open...

I got to go pick my tools from the garage tomorrow and disasseble this unit properly. I'll guess I try opening it tomorrow. Or at least in the weekend.

The patient:

:goodjob2: :happydance: :goodjob:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:whsaid:  :brilliant: Look forward to further info!  :happydance:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
It will be interesting to see what is found during the postmortem by sundiz. If the faulty item is recoverable it should lead to considerable savings for members should they encounter the same problem. I am looking forward to the next post by sundiz.

Great result
  • i30 CW CRDI 1.6l Auto 2011

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal