i30 Owners Club

Reflection from dashboard

cdgeorge · 77 · 18070

Offline cdgeorge

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Norfolk
I don't want to be negative but - perhaps this is a minor irritant for some - when taking the car back yesterday the sun was shining fully on the front dash and reflecting quite badly up onto the inside of the windscreen - I never notice that much reflection from the other car I drive? It's enough to be obvious - I've attached a picture so you can see what I mean.

I don't mean to run on and on about things but - these are real issues - and simple things like making the front dash too reflective in the sun could annoy some (as well as the tyre pressure warning flashing):

Anyway take a look for yourself...

• Hyundai i30 SE 1.6 Diesel BlueDrive

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I don't want to be negative but - perhaps this is a minor irritant for some - when taking the car back yesterday the sun was shining fully on the front dash and reflecting quite badly up onto the inside of the windscreen - I never notice that much reflection from the other car I drive? It's enough to be obvious - I've attached a picture so you can see what I mean.

I don't mean to run on and on about things but - these are real issues - and simple things like making the front dash too reflective in the sun could annoy some (as well as the tyre pressure warning flashing):

Anyway take a look for yourself...

With respect, sounds like you would be better off with some other brand or model. Most of the members on here are happy with their cars or love them.

I have owned 30 cars (including 3 x i30's) and driven many other work vehicles as well. I don't believe the i30's dash is any shinier or more reflective than other brands.

Tyres noise is about mid range in the class and as Alan says faulty TPMS is not commonly reported on here.

I think you are just getting negative vibes. Getting off on the wrong foot!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Dash reflection is directly related to the amount of rake in the windscreen.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Yeah,
I've lived and worked in Norfolk.
Norfolk can be very  :undecided:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I've got a dash mat on mine but really, the reflection is no better or no worse than most other brands.
And I've had plenty.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Get a dash mat and wear polaroid sunglasses.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline cdgeorge

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Norfolk

With respect, sounds like you would be better off with some other brand or model. Most of the members on here are happy with their cars or love them.

I have owned 30 cars (including 3 x i30's) and driven many other work vehicles as well. I don't believe the i30's dash is any shinier or more reflective than other brands.

Tyres noise is about mid range in the class and as Alan says faulty TPMS is not commonly reported on here.

I think you are just getting negative vibes. Getting off on the wrong foot!

I'm not really too negative about it all - I'm just pointing out matters as a result of my test drive - and just thought:

1. Road noise was not brilliant - although now I think acceptable.
2. TPMS has been regarded by the dealer as a common fault that cannot be reset from the console.
3. The dash reflection looked a little excessive (you can see that in the pic).

If I had been out on just the one test drive I would have noticed only point 1., however having had the chance of a second test drive I'm not so fussed about road noise anymore, but I thought I would inform other potential buyers of points 2 and 3 for their information.

I'm still buying it because I'm getting a good price. But no doubt in my mind that the Seat Leon 1.2TSi is a better car in the same class. The Seat brought a smile on my face, whereas the Hyundai seems steadfast and comfortable (polite words for boring). It will get me from A to B without issues and that's my priority.

Offline cdgeorge

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Norfolk
Get a dash mat and wear polaroid sunglasses.

... and some ear defenders :).

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Well, I've never noticed a reflective problem, with my i30 dash  :whistler:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Hmm, Seat, my mate has a 1.4TFSi and it drinks oil like it is going out of fashion (not to mention that the emissions are probably reported wrongly given the current state of the VW group).

They all have their issues, it just depends which ones you want to live with.......
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Well, I've never noticed a reflective problem, with my i30 dash  :whistler:

Same here, love my i30 , best thing since sliced bread.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Hmm, Seat, my mate has a 1.4TFSi and it drinks oil like it is going out of fashion (not to mention that the emissions are probably reported wrongly given the current state of the VW group).
They all have their issues, it just depends which ones you want to live with.......
And one of my colleagues has just traded in his Seat, as the supplying dealer, after 7 months, could not prevent the vehicle regularly entering Limp Home Mode.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I've not even noticed the reflections :confused: though I do have a dash mat :)

If you don't want to fork out for a dash mat then you can always use antiglare/matt look interior detailer.

I wonder why they call it a Seat? is it because it's lower than your arse :whistler: :D

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I have noticed the reflection but it only happens in mine when the sun is at its high point, i.e. directly above the car.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline cdgeorge

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Norfolk
OK that's fine - you chaps are more experienced than me on the i30 - I posted the pic so you can see for yourselves.

Regarding the SEAT - OK not good. My only experience was the driving experience and not long term experience - and I can only comment that the driving experience is far better all round, whether later on it gulps oil or drops it's axle in a muddle puddle I wouldn't know.

I'm still buying the Hyundai i30 though - because I don't need anything exciting - it would however be icing on the cake - but that icing is gonna cost me significantly more and I have other financial priorities right now.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

OK that's fine - you chaps are more experienced than me on the i30 - I posted the pic so you can see for yourselves.

Have you checked or been on the Seat Forum for any responses - as in this Forum ?

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I've got a dash mat on mine but really, the reflection is no better or no worse than most other brands.
And I've had plenty:)

So I've heard from the fella's at Hakea  :rofl:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Bugsy

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England, Essex, Thurrock
I have had my i30 for 2 years now having had something like 15 Fords in the past and overall I have been pleased with it.

The reflection from the dash is bad but no worse than other cars I have driven, I have discovered that it just does not bother some drivers, but it did me. I made mine worse by shinning it, but with a pair of Polaroid sunglasses I have cut a good 95% of the reflection.

Like Surferdude  says it’s all to do with the rake of the windscreen.
  • Petrol 1.4 i30 Style

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
There's a trick to solving the reflection problem which has helped me all my life......... Instead of looking AT the windscreen you look THROUGH it ( focus on the road ahead). It's amazing what you see (cars, trucks, pedestrians etc).

• 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
There's a trick to solving the reflection problem which has helped me all my life......... Instead of looking AT the windscreen you look THROUGH it ( focus on the road ahead). It's amazing what you see (cars, trucks, pedestrians etc).
:lol: :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
One other 'trick' - don't know it will apply as much in your area of the world.

A number of i30 owners report internal 'fogging' of the windscreen - I have experienced it myself and seems to be more frequent when the car is newer.

The 'fog' is a slight build up on the inside of the screen, it is noticeable when the 'light is right' - but I am sure it made dash reflection more noticeable, or I noticed the fog more because of dash reflection.

Due to the fact my i30 is often parked outside - I have a dash mat to protect the dash, etc. so don't get dash reflection very much at all now (what little I might get is at the edges of the windscreen and so not where I am usually looking)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 00:52:30 by ibrokeit »
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Quite right. I find the same thing when it starts to rain.  Don't focus on the rain drops on the screen,  focus on the road ahead.  The rain drops then become almost invisible.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Quite right. I find the same thing when it starts to rain.  Don't focus on the rain drops on the screen,  focus on the road ahead.  The rain drops then become almost invisible.
Ah, the science of binocular vision! :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It's like the heads up display in my Car. People ask if I find it annoying or distracting but I don't because I only focus on it when I want to check the info, like speed, speed limit or outside temp etc...

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Here's what it looks like on the F35:

"ns"

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Here's what it looks like on the F35:

"ns"

Bit busier than mine!  :scared:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :lol:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Doesn't the sun only poke it's nose out around twice a year in the UK???   :whistler:

You wouldn't think sun reflection would be a major issue...   :undecided:  :snigger:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yes, true, Rusty, but bear in mind the Brits are like vampires in their environment, so the one time the sun comes out, their pupils are dishplates and their skin is pastey white. :whistler:

"ns"

Offline cdgeorge

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Norfolk

OK smart-arse - I'm well aware you can look through the reflection but at least you acknowledge there is a reflection problem.

With all the replies here you would have thought I was imagining things (but then you have looked at the photo right?).

At least someone else has experienced the same problem here: (from Kieth from Plymouth on 'reevoo' as seen lower down on Hyundai's own website - he's a motorway driver - read below:

Overall quality of build and value for money.
    Seating which is as comfortable as any car I have driven
    Steering wheel options are extremely useful for different driving conditions.

Bad Points

Lack of rear windscreen washers.
    Road noise from tyres is louder than I have been used to. Possibly additional soundproofing under wheel arches could be useful.
    Reflection of dashboard on screen is distracting.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal