i30 Owners Club

ESP has started switching off at random.

Offline rustbucket

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi folks,

How's is everyone going? Haven't been around much to post on the forum. My wife and I have been traveling.

However after our last trip our I30 crdi has exhibited a problem I hope someone may be able to help me with.

The car itself is still great and economy good (4.6 highway and 6 around town) but since coming home the ESP OFF  light is now coming on at random and the ESP remains off and locked off with regards to the switch on the dash. Switching the engine off and restarting was fixing the problem from a cold start for the remainder of that particular trip. Now after 6 hours at the dealers for the 12 month service the problem was not only not located or fixed but now switched off  at random twice on the way home from the service about 20klms. I rang the dealer and was told that the next time it happens to go immediately to the nearest dealer without turning the engine off to get a reading from the diagnostics. Has anyone come across this problem and did their service manager have a solution.

Thanks in advance

Regards

RustBucket

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
that can happen if you have a tyre that is worn more than the rest or its underinflated  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Rustbucket

I haven't even got ESP in my CRDI but the only thing I can ask is have you replaced say one tire with a new one. (by that I mean have you got three tires on with only a few Mils of thread left and say a new spare on one corner.

I seem to remember a discussion on here somewhere where something like this can throw the ESP into turmoil..

Hope that helps..

Nice to "see" you by the way..Would like to hear more about your trip experience with and without the car when you get sorted... :D

Edit: I saw 2i30s note pop up at same time as I hit post.. (as they say 2 heads are better than one - especially when you're from Tassie)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustbucket

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi all,

Did some further research on the forum and found a post covering this problem with ESP. Ours did the same after 500m. You would have thought they would have checked the tyres at service but when I just checked under torchlight they varied from 32 /30 at the front and 28/25 at the rear supposed to be 32 all round. Will correct the pressures in the morning and hopefully the ESP problem will correct itself. Fingers Crossed.

Regards Doug

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
This is where the TPMS comes in handy, I had 3 tyres down to 30 last week and the dash was like a bloody Christmas Tree :lol: :lol:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline roberto

• 1st Gear
I have this problem as well. I changed front tyres , purchasing 1 new hankook 415 & using new spare factory supplied.
Then i found esp/off started coming on in the same way you describe.
I checked tyre pressure/both the same.
I then checked tyre tread depth and to my suprise tread depth of new tyre is over 1mm more than new spare.
So i recon hyundai are buying the factory tyres cheap ie with less tread. And  ESP system is sensitive to diameter/circumference of front tyres.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I have this problem as well. I changed front tyres , purchasing 1 new hankook 415 & using new spare factory supplied.
Then i found esp/off started coming on in the same way you describe.
I checked tyre pressure/both the same.
I then checked tyre tread depth and to my suprise tread depth of new tyre is over 1mm more than new spare.
So i recon hyundai are buying the factory tyres cheap ie with less tread. And  ESP system is sensitive to diameter/circumference of front tyres.

Thanks roberto .. very interesting 1st post (welcome to the club)

Offline rustbucket

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi Dazz,

Being doing some Old F..t backpacking in Japan. Those 300 kph trains are magic. will post a couple of images when I work out how to again.

Thanks for the help

Regards Doug

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Dazz,

Being doing some Old F..t backpacking in Japan. Those 300 kph trains are magic. will post a couple of images when I work out how to again.

Thanks for the help

Regards Doug

Backpacking in Japan .. now that is adventurous .. love to see some photos ( ones of mount Fuji with snow on would be good too  :lol:)

bez10y
Yeah this happens in my SR. I know when the ESP light comes on by itself that it's time to check the tire pressures. :)

slightly off topic: Bez has just recently clocked 20000km's so I am thinking about getting the tires rotated, thoughts anyone?

Offline rustbucket

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi all,

Well I fired up the air compressor and went around and brought all pressures to 32 psi as per manual and took it for a short test drive and all good so far. Again fingers crossed and will check it over time. If this proves to be the case it destroys your faith a bit in the service from dealers doesn't it. What happened to sending service people off to do courses on new models and technology. Not much sharing of info in the trade as there is on this forum.

Thanks all for your prompt and willing assistance

Doug

Ps I'll have a go at getting those Japan images to you Dazz

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Ps I'll have a go at getting those Japan images to you Dazz

Buzz em up in the random images 'cos I'm interested too :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline QSR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Australia - Stone Black i30 SX CRDI Auto
Hi all,

Well I fired up the air compressor and went around and brought all pressures to 32 psi as per manual and took it for a short test drive and all good so far. Again fingers crossed and will check it over time. If this proves to be the case it destroys your faith a bit in the service from dealers doesn't it. What happened to sending service people off to do courses on new models and technology.

Doug

Not only that Doug, but you said your car has just spent 6 hours in the dealership getting its 12 month "service".
I have 24 years experience working for various motor dealerships starting from apprentice mechanic right up to service management level.
Checking tyre pressures "IS" part of the service they supposedly do.......in your case - obviously not.
If they could not get the basics of your service right - how on earth are they going to identify and repair faults?

The old saying - " if they didn't do that - what else didn't they do"? - opens up a whole can of worms.
Any yes - they should know their product.

You should contact them back and let them be aware of what they "did not do" !

Cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You should contact them back and let them be aware of what they "did not do" !

Cheers

Better still... point them to this thread (It makes them look very ordinary)

Bez10y ...

I rotated my tyres at 20,000 (swapped front to back on same side) and now I've done 46K+ and they are all wearing fairly evenly with up to 10K still left in them..

So go for it ...I.M.O.O.  :D

Offline rustbucket

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi QSR,

I was going to wait to see if the tyres were the problem before giving the dealer a rip. I took for a good run today around Brisbane and all good so far. Yes I have got out the Owners Manual and I am going over each of the items myself and have organised a scanguage for XMAS.

This forum should almost be mandatory for guys servicing I30's if only to see what problems if any are out there.

Doug

Offline rustbucket

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Offline whaleshark

• 2nd Gear
Hi Folks,

I just posted 'similar ESP problem' thread in the diesel column, just found this thread and would like to add on...  :-[   should have digged around more...

Similar situation, I sent my i30 for 7500km scheduled service last Wednesday. Straight after that, my ESP OFF came on. Unbelievable!!! considering they did a "Platetronic-Safe-T" check which costs $25. This checks the car steering, a-linement etc.

It costed me $277 for that service.  :-[
$115 for basic service
$65 for some C3 diesel engine oil (I will buy the oil from Super Cheap Auto next time.)
$20 Oil system discharge (I will do it myself next time.)
$5  Oil disposal
$30 oil filter/gasket
$25 Safe-T check
$25 GST

Why didn't they do a simple tire pressure check? It's a simple safety check.
(They did, however, washed my car and vacumed it, put in some lovely scent, not that I'm complaining but
all efforts gone to waste for a simple check that won't take them 5min to do.)

They told me, while collecting my car, the wear was pretty even. ok, next changes would be brake pads, tires.

I have called them twice, speaking to 2 people and one of them could tell me first check the tire pressure, I could save some time, and they would have saved some time on their end. Schade!

WS

Pip

$65 for some C3 diesel engine oil (I will buy the oil from Super Cheap Auto next time.)
$20 Oil system discharge (I will do it myself next time.)

They told me, while collecting my car, the wear was pretty even. ok, next changes would be brake pads, tires.

Just an observation: C3 is not a requirement in Australia... B4 is. I'm sure the oil met both and is not a problem.  Just curious why they would specify something that's not required instead of something that is.  :rolleyes:

I also wonder why they reckon you will need pads and tyres at 15,000Km.  You must really flog it.  :rolleyes: :lol: Unless you meant an intermediate service and it's done much more?

And a question: What is "oil system discharge"?

Offline QSR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Yep, PIP it has got me shaking my head and wondering too ???
Once again, they have failed one of the most basic steps in servicing a car......check tyre pressures.......not just the service, but it is also one of the first things that should be done BEFORE doing a steering alignment ???

Whaleshark.......I have to give them benefit of the doubt though because I think you said this happened AFTER they serviced your car.......OK.......thats enough benefit of the doubt for them.....because it looks highly possible that they may have set your tyre pressures ( but stuffed up ) :-[

I also need to ask "what is an oil discharge"?
Sounds like an "UPSELL" to me........either a bottle of oil flush they add ( pour in ) to your engine oil before changing your oil ( UPSELL....UPSELL ), or possibly a system where they use either pressure or vacuum to forcibly discharge your old oil from your engine sump plug hole via a screw-in valve.....instead of just letting it drain via gravity ( come in spinner......UPSELL, UPSELL ).

Did they actually get YOUR permission for that?.......
15,000kms for brake pads......yeah right ?........you must be really hard on your brakes then.
Our 11 year old excel with approx 214,000kms on it ( manual though ) has needed front brake pads replaced TWICE.......first set at 110,000kms and then again about 2 months ago at 213,000kms. Still has original rear brake shoes.

Getting back to your steering for a minute........you had a steering alignment at 7,500kms......WHY........do you aim for pot holes & gutters.....were your tyres wearing un-evenly?........or maybe.......wait for it........UPSELL, UPSELL !

I do however suggest to have your tyres rotated on a regular basis ( 7,500k is fine ) they will last longer if you do this and also suggest you personally, visually check your own tyre wear every week ( when washing your car is a good time ) also run your hand across the tread to feel for even or un-even wear.

Another thing to be wary of is FUEL INJECTION SERVICES - they do them on both petrol & diesel.......it is another NOT REQUIRED UPSELL......SAY NO !

Lastly.....yes......go and buy your own oil ( specified )but keep receipts to show that you were supplying the right oil......just in case you have a warranty issue with your engine and they try to blame your oil for it.
I am not saying all dealerships are like this but you may just find the price you pay for your spare parts at your dealership ( across the spare parts counter ) is cheaper than the spare parts supplied through the workshop ( on your service invoice ) - I know it does happen though

Offline whaleshark

• 2nd Gear

heya....
good to hear some views fr PIP, QSR... thanks..

now platetronic safe-T check ... i googled and read about it
http://www.platetronic.com/

it says Profitable --> A Real Money Spinner......Unbelieveable!!! I'm beginning to have doubts.

I'm going bk to dealer this Friday to see what they say.

I actually went bk yesterday to show the sales manager the problem. all they can say is call service on Monday.

cheers
WS

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Wheel Alignment:

Many years ago I went to a small lock up and to check the wheel alignment they ran each wheel over a board on the floor.

The tracking was spot on and never had any problems thereafter.

Since that day tracking has been by various methods, the favourite being -up on ramp mirrors to front and rear etc etc or straps around all 4 wheel and "computer" check.

I've never been 100% happy.

I know technology has advance in some 30 odd years but the "old fashioned" way of doing things always seemed to produce the correct result with little or no return visit.

Now ESP - No matter what all have been saying/suggesting it appears there is definitely a fault within the "brains" of the car.

Get the dealer to sort it out pronto otherwise you'll end up with no ESP and no faith in your beloved i30.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline whaleshark

• 2nd Gear
i don't know an oil system discharge but will find out from them this Friday...also went to the browser to check my tire pressure:

Front left - 38
Right - 37

back left , right - 36

adjusted back to 32 psi.

Offline QSR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

I think you mean't to say "bowser".......another word of warning - never trust those gauges at the petrol stations.......they are more than not in-accurate.......buy a half decent tyre pressure gauge from an auto store and check your tyre pressures when they are cold - first thing in the morning before you drive anywhere, because when you start driving anywhere - you are heating up your tyres and the air inside them - with heat comes expansion & increased pressure.
Surferdude may be able to elaborate on this further as he spent a lot of his years in the tyre trade.

I just had a look at the link for the PlateTronic machine - I have been out of the motor trade for the last 4-5 years and I had not heards of that machine back then, so can not comment too much on it ( out of fairness ). But, one thing for sure is - if your tyre pressures were un-evenly set - it would produce incorrect measurements - everything would be out.......there goes that $25.00 down the drain............what did you say your tyre pressures were again :neutral:

Pip
i don't know an oil system discharge but will find out from them this Friday...also went to the browser to check my tire pressure:

Front left - 38
Right - 37

back left , right - 36

adjusted back to 32 psi.
I gotta say, 38/34 is what I run, front/back.

Feels right, although I'd consider 32 back with no rear passenger(s)/luggage.  I found (for the diesel at least) it really needs the back to let go early else you are plowing around in a most unsatisfactory way, so I do applaud your significantly different front/back set-up.

It's not a sports car by any means - what with the tall body and the front-heavy balance (made worse by the F/W drive) - but it can still motor nicely on a smooth road, driven well.

I'm making the point that tyre pressure (set-up) is vitally important if testing your cornering skills.  My pressures are quite conservative (because I really don't race about  :rolleyes:) and many will rightly have more pressure/differential when pushing harder.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

The sticker on the door frame inside my drivers door say 32 front and back for all wheel/tyre sizes.  This is at cold!!!!

If you set to 32 when hot then when they cool down they will be under and may contribute to poor steering and effect other gizmo's on your car.

ESP may be a lifesaver so don't compromise safety

Offline rustbucket

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi all,

Seems the ESP is now functioning correctly. We haven't had an incident since I brought all the tyres back to 32 psi. Ride is slightly harsher buts that's OK.

Have had words with the Service Manager at dealer and appeared quite embarrassed over the revelation that if they had check the tyres as they should have they would have fixed the ESP without knowing. All apologetic but we are still concerned over quality of service they provide. He apparently challenged the service tech who claimed it was an oversight. Emailed him that text of that email from Bosch and he claimed he has pinned to the tech's notice board as an example of what can occur from neglecting basic items in service. Oh well it may save some others from sitting around for 6 hours for nothing.
I like to thank all who assisted in solving this problem. I usually check the tyres at fillup. The problem with the I30 crdi that can be months ( in this case three ). Long enough for a tyre to deflate a little and upset the ESP.

Thanks again,

Regards

Doug

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Glad it been sorted.

They should be offering some sort of compo for the time you have had to waste - How about a free service or if you don't want to trust then again with your car - at least a full tank of fuel.

Offline rustbucket

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi all,

Have fitted my Scanguage (cheap at the moment with Aus$ up against the US). Quite a neat item with it's instant feedback. Found out I am a bit of a lead foot. Consumption down to 5.8 when it used to be 6.5 kph around hilly Brisbane. Still calibrating other functions.

Regards

Doug

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi all,

Have fitted my Scanguage (cheap at the moment with Aus$ up against the US). Quite a neat item with it's instant feedback. Found out I am a bit of a lead foot. Consumption down to 5.8 when it used to be 6.5 kph around hilly Brisbane. Still calibrating other functions.

Regards

Doug

Gee Doug that's a good effort (it will pay for itself fairly quickly at that rate  :D)

Offline Sharky

• 2nd Gear
Hi all,

had this same problem maybe twice. Service checked and computer gave error on the braking sensor they said. They replaced that one and never had the problem ever since.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal